New Guitar Review From Me

westhemann

okay...well those of you that know me from the forum here for a while know that i am extremely picky about guitars.so it should come as a complete surprise that i am now forced to give my very first glowing reccomendation of a guitar.

the carvin bolt strat style guitar pictured here(this is the exact guitar...not just a similar model)

http://fullservesite.com/westhemann/gear/carvin.bmp

there is not a single flaw that i can find in this instrument.very tight neck pocket....the finish is flawless...the fretwork is superb...the guitar is set up exactly as it should be...the electronics are awesome...and with that little mini toggle in the bottom of the pickgaurd i can get EVERY pickup combination(all seven...for those of you that can count)

what will i change about this guitar?nothing.ever....get it?it's PERFECT....

I highly reccomend that you all buy one of these gorgeous instruments.

and all of this for about $600

i will not hesitate to buy more of them either.can i say any more?

most playable guitar i have...begs to be played....if it was a woman i would marry it...i may try to have sex with it....

get one.....now..... :D

feylya, lets just say that he plays it more than any other guitar he has, now THINK about what guitars he probably has. 600 for a guitar that plays taht good is ONE HELL OF A DEAL. im sure it makes fenders and gibsons look overpriced even more than they already are. id love a carvin, but i dont have any cash like that right now, so im gonna have to wait.

feylya, lets just say that he plays it more than any other guitar he has, now THINK about what guitars he probably has. 600 for a guitar that plays taht good is ONE HELL OF A DEAL. im sure it makes fenders and gibsons look overpriced even more than they already are. id love a carvin, but i dont have any cash like that right now, so im gonna have to wait.

Ah, I understand that. But understand also that I will hopefully be getting a new guitar soon and I also want to get into building. I've some options open to me:

1) Buy a kit like that and make it

2) Buy a built neck, body blank and hardware and make a guitar the way I want

3) Build a neck and repeat 2

4) Buy a shop guitar

I'm just trying to sort out my options.

$600 for it though?

i have alot of guitars in that price range...this one is by far the best.

my japanese sabre was much more expensive,and the fit and finish on it are just as flawless...but the sound and playability has never been what this carvin is.

bang for the buck is awesome....but that is not a fair way to judge...because i dare say that this guitar would be a good buy at twice the price...i am being honest when i say i don't think the quality of this guitar could be improved.

like i said...i am not going to change a thing...that makes this the only guitar i have which is completely stock...and it will stay that way.i went over this guitar with a fine tooth comb...the leftover fretboard width at the sides of the neck is even proper...you don't have to worry about the strings falling off the edge...and the neck is lined up dead center with the bridge

the bc rich platinum series which retails for about the same price is a joke in comparison.(i have a new platinum warlock...the fit and finish is craptacular,and i had to move the strap buttons for balance issues...and the stock electronics were a bit mushy)

i do have an esp ltd f 400 coming in(neck thru with dual emg 81) and i will let you know how it compares(in it's category of course...they are made for different things)

but the esp was a bit more expensive

How comparable is it to other factory made guitars at that price?

i guess the gist of what i am saying is that i believe this to be the best buy in that price range...and even beyond.

also keep in mind that there are little things about ALL my other guitars that i dislike...i haven't found anything bad about this one yet...i will let you know if a problem crops up after more playing.

much better than the fenders it is made to compete with imo

I've some options open to me:

1) Buy a kit like that and make it

2) Buy a built neck, body blank and hardware and make a guitar the way I want

3) Build a neck and repeat 2

4) Buy a shop guitar

I'm just trying to sort out my options.

i would say that just depends on what you want on your guitar.i wanted a blues strat with 3 passive single coils,fixed bridge,all seven possible pickup combinations(most strats don't come stock with an "all on" option),alder or ash body,bolt on neck,etc...

so when i saw this one it had all the options i wanted on this particular guitar...no settling for less.

i was just surprised by the quality of everything,to be honest.iexpected to at least have to swap pickups...but these are ballsy, sweet,and harmonically rich all at the same time.

if i had wanted another metal axe...i would not have bought this...but for what i needed it for,it kicks total ass

What model did you buy? I was looking on the website and only saw one for $350. Did you add things to it?

I'm seriously considering blowing my new guitar budget on making a guitar.

it's called a bolt.

it was in this section

http://carvin.com/products/gisList.php?CID=SB&Hand=R

most of them are a bit higher in price because of other options i guess.

Ah, for some reason I had the notion they were kit guitars.

carvin offers kits. and wes man, good buy, good f'in buy. :D

i just hope that all theyre guitars are the same kind of quality, they should be, but you never know i guess

http://carvin.com/mbg.php

Your trial period starts when the merchandise is received by you, not when it's shipped. Really give it a workout. If you're not satisfied for any reason, send it back for a prompt refund or exchange - you would only be responsible for the shipping.

pretty good return policy

Orders outside the USA must be taken from your local dealer - see carvinworld.com

http://www.carvin.co.uk/

does that help?

i think ireland is in the uk,right?or close enough for shipping purposes?

NO, Ireland is most definately not in the UK. Google "IRA"...

But it's close enough.

If it ends up being cheaper to buy from America, would anyone be willing to receive the guitar on my behalf and forward it on? It won't be for a while (at least a couple of months).

i guess if you want an already built one,you have to have as buddy ship it to you from the states...but that almost certainly gaurantees you won't be able to get it before the ten days is up.

but your buddy who gets it could look it over and make sure on your behalf,then repack and send it to you

Well, I was just speccing up a DC127 neck through, with TOM, ebony board, no inlays and it's €600 shipped in America. TBH, it'd be in a hard case so as long as the box was undamaged, more than likely the guitar would be fine. I don't really care about the returns policy.

Wes,

Can that Carvin handle heavier style music? Metal in particular. I was wondering if those pickups are mini-HB's or just SC's?

also - have you considered setting up a gear review site? I know it wouldn't be the first but since you're into it, maybe it would be worth looking into getting paid? I'm suggesting this without knowing the slightest what would be involved.

I remember reading about someone who just decided that he would be a "review guy" and eventually ended up having things sent to him (for free by the manufacturer) for his review. That's his job now. I can't remember the details but this thread just reminded me.