Neckthrough Sg, My 2nd Guitar

Guest AlexVDL
here´s a pic of the "faux" neck joint, it looks like a regular joint

Hahaha that is absolutely wonderfull!! Excellent... you could have fooled everyone if you hadn't said it was a neck thru. This guitar like the LP you built is another piece of master craftmanship!! My compliments.. love the finish too!! Poly rules hehehe. :D

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AlexVDL: Thanks for your words, actually I have fooled some people with that fake neck joint jajaja I also think that poly rules, but for a change I´m painting a Tele like guitar with nitro, I hope it comes OK. And glad you also like the LP, I also love that guitar.

Godin SD: I use the mahogany grain filler Stewmac sells, and a mix between cherry red and mahogany(very little) for the color. First I sealed de the wood and filled the grain and then i put the color, Here´s where my friend that has a lot of experience come to rescue, he mixed the colors and I´m pretty sure I could have not doing it on my own. He´s truly a master and I own him a lot.(sorry my english :D )

Maiden69(francisco): de dónde eres? you seems like latino o spanish.

Thanks everybody, now I´ll go to play more guitar B):D

Very sexy guitar :D and beautiful finish, I love SG's man

Good work :D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

Great work there. Definately enter it into GOTM. As I did I was not sure if it would be a good idea but I even won the first place. I especially like the finish and the perfect binding work. Only thing which I really don't like is that you did not correct Gibson's original design flaw: WHY would anyone place the strap button on the neck on a guitar that would have fabolous upper fret acces otherwise????

GuitarMaestro: Hi Marcel, I didn´t think of that to be honest with you, it doesn´t bother me but I guess if it ever will I can relocate the strap button. BTW I thought that the neck joint was the original design flaw: when they put the pickup cavity the joint becomes really thin and weak. And thanks for the comments, I don´t really know how to apply to guitar of the month really, I thought that the webmaster picked the GOTM.

Drak: you caught me! I always watch the MIMF looking for help as well as this site, they both are awesome and they´re great help for a newbie. Maybe the MIMf is a little harsh at the beginning but there is a lot of cool people.

Eddiewarlock: I´m peruvian and here there isn´t any place to get good hardware, so be patient and try to do your best with the things you have, good luck.

Maiden69: que bueno ver latinos por acá, creo que no hay muchos no?

And thanks Metal matt hope to see any guitar from you soon,

Alberto

Yeah, badass finish dude. How many coats of clear did you put on?? Is it lacquered?? Sorry I'm a major finish newb. I'm gonna do a neck thru sg soon too, only white with 2 p90's. Any advice while you were doing that, and how'd you get those bevels on the horns so nice?? Oh yeah, and what kinda neck angle did you put on that sucker??

Edited by Bill-Murray

I´m glad you like it guys; I´m very proud of this guitar.

Bill-Murray:it has around 9 coats of clear polyester. White with p90´s? sounds awesome!. I gladly will give you any advice you want, to me it would be easier if you ask something. Like the bevels, I did it without any machine, I use a square, a spokeshave and a scraper. I draw on the wood the inside border and the started to take out the wood with the spokeshave very carefully. Then with the square I checked the beveled surface because I needed a flat surface. With a wood block I sanded it till it was fine and then proceeded to paint it. And that´s it, it was fairly easy, just go slow and always check your surface. Oh, I just saw that you asked about the bevels on the horns :D Well I use a chisel and verified them with the scarper. Well, there you go, I hope this can help you. If you need anything else I gladly help you. Best regards.

My native tongue isn´t english and that´s why I have a few posts only, so I hope I explained ok, if I didn´t well just ask again B)

the way to enter in gutiar of the month, you go to the "announcements and test area" and up at the top the thread "guitar of the month for january" then just post your giutar in there with 3 pictures and a little story about the guitar and then towards the end of the month (jan. 23) he will let us vote on who should win guitar of the month.

Thanks for the info silvertonessuckbutigotone, I ´ll post my guitar there then.

Bill-Murray: yes, I put a neck angle because I didn´t wanna recess the bridge. I use a 2- 2,5 angle degree, I know that´s the neck angle Gibson uses on their Sg´s. What I did was draw the neck angle on the sides of the neck/body wood and then I glued the body wings following that angle. I choose to angle the wings because to me it was easier to use the top of the wings as a reference to get flat both the top and bottom. I flatten the surface with a plane and then sanded to get everything right.

Oh thanks, cause that's the part I'm worried about. The angle doesn't have to be exact then, I guess?? Just 2-2.5. Sounds good. How thick is it, and did you lose much thickness when you planed it to get it flat after you glued the wings???

What I did was draw the neck angle on the sides of the neck/body wood and then I glued the body wings following that angle. I choose to angle the wings because to me it was easier to use the top of the wings as a reference to get flat both the top and bottom. I flatten the surface with a plane and then sanded to get everything right.

Alberto, that is a beautiful guitar. Guess I'll avoid showing my SG project for some time until everyone forgets yours LOL

Thanks for describing the method to angle the neck on a neckthrough. That will definitely help me.

I read earlier that you filled the grain and sealed the wood. How did you get the color?

Okay, but when you glue the body wings, isn't there like a thickness difference in the neck/body and the wings?? You have to plane down then I guess that's what you were talking about?? I realize 2 1/2 degrees isn't much, but it is still something I'm worried about...

Bill-Murray: the wings where already in the proper thickness (1 5/16") and the neck/body wood was thick enough to allow me to draw the diagonal of the angle and to put the body wings diagonally and still have room to plane it. Hope this explain the process. If you are going to use a tuneomatic you definetily need a neck angle.

Here are some measures that I took from a Gibson ad I found in everythingsg.com, the measures can vary here and there:

Body: length-16", width-12 3/4"-13 5/32", depth-1 5/16"

body/neck angle: sg special 2° sg standard 3° sg reissue 3,5°

neck: peghead pitch: 14-17° length: 6 25/32" w:3 1/16"

thickness 1st fret: 0.818 12th: 0.963

heel length: 0.625"

peghead: thickness-5/8" peghead veneer: 3/8"

You can get other measures in the Gibson webpage.

Johnsilver: thanks for the compliment, I did the painting with a friend, he´s awesome and he uses the Stewmac color; I think it was cherry red and mahogany. You need to experiment a bit to get the color you want.

I did the painting with a friend, he´s awesome and he uses the Stewmac color; I think it was cherry red and mahogany. You need to experiment a bit to get the color you want.

Alberto, thanks for the reference. Do you know if the guitar was dyed (the color applied directly to the wood) or was the color added to the clear finish and then applied? Thanks.

I would say it was applied after the wood was sealed. When you see the guitar you notice that the bottom (where the strap button is, near the bridge) is not darker than the actual top of the guitar. I mean it´s a bit darker but is different like when I apply stain directly on wood, then you can see that some parts are deffinetly darker than others. When you don´t seal the wood and then you stain it, the parts perpendicular to the wood grain (where the grain cuts and is like little pores) absorbs more stain. I hope you can understand me, I´m having some problem trying to explain it right. cheers