New Tool Overarm Router

bigdguitars

found a guy on ebay selling an overarm router for only 400 bones. took a look at it very very nice, old and heavy will help me a ton!

It takes a porter cable router that I got, the 2.5hp model which is a good deal for everythign I got... Will post a pic.

man you would never imagine the stuff that people have in thier garages....

yea I am in the process of building a new table so I can get the correct pins and everything set up nicely. the table is not high enough so, have to figure out something... got any ideas?

funny that you mention the bump on the rigid, it depends on the seem of the paper, I just bought a bunch of grizzlt 4x24 belts and they suck need to find some belts that are seemed better and should work like a charm, the grizzly belts suck, but the one that came with it works great. I am sure the norton belts have a smaller seem.

yea I am in the process of building a new table so I can get the correct pins and everything set up nicely.  the table is not high enough so, have to figure out something... got any ideas?

In order of budget.

Two layers of mdf glued together. Sand out the bumps and warps with a fretboard leveler.

Have a grid made out of heavy steel rectangular tube (like a tic tac toe board). Bolt an mdf top and shim flat and square.

Check ebay for a 1" slab of aluminum tooling plate.

funny that you mention the bump on the rigid, it depends on the seem of the paper,  I just bought a bunch of grizzlt 4x24 belts and they suck need to find some belts that are seemed better and should work like a charm, the grizzly belts suck, but the one that came with it works great.  I am sure the norton belts have a smaller seem.

Maybe Klingspor. I think they have the taped seam. I use them on my edge sander, but they are still bumpy on they hard drum for fine work.

be cautious about the sanding belts, most of the better brands have virually no bump. abrasives from Grizzly are poor. too bad really. try Supergrit, i buy almost all my abrasives from them. heavy weight cloth backed stuff for everyday use in big rolls, and their gold sanding disks last longer than most. they carry good brands so you don't have to worry about getting junk.

-doug