Attention:lovecraft

thedoctor

I respect the knowledge and thought put into your answers to posts in this forum so I would like to ask you, and others, about cavity wiring issues. I cavity-shield and rewire a lot of guitars and use the best of everything(pots,etc.). I have been called to task for using solid 24ga. copper for static (non-flex) signal paths by people who say it removes the "vintage tone" of the original. I think they are just used to hearing the 44 decibal humm their Teles put out at idle before I shielded them. Surely, solid wire is not a sin, even for purists! After all, the pickups are wound with lighter-gauge solid than this. I hope to hear ALL thoughts on this cause I am willing to change, even at my age.

People who b*tch about the kind of wire used for point-to-point connections inside a guitar are the same kind of people who wish cars still had carbs and points ignition.

Here's a tip: tell whoever you're doing wiring jobs for that you are going to replace the old worn-out, rat's nest wiring with new wire that will last longer and transfer a clearer signal from the pickup. You will also be shielding the cavities, which will not only reduce the amount of inference or "buzz" coming from the guitar, but will also greatly affect the sound of the instrument.

The wire used for the wiring should not be the problem. It's more likely the shielding and replacement of old pots and capacitors, whose values have changed over time, that is causing your clients to lose that "vintage" tone.

...I cavity-shield and rewire a lot of guitars and use the best of everything(pots,etc.). I have been called to task for using solid 24ga. copper for static (non-flex) signal paths by people who say it removes the "vintage tone" of the original...

My position is as follows: Hookup wire is hookup wire, and until one of these golden-eared boys can tell the difference in a series of double-blind listening tests with accuracy significantly better than chance, I'll maintain that there is no audible difference between solid or stranded, 18 ga. or 24 ga., cloth or teflon or PVC insulation, etc.! I believe that you could use 10 ga Romex® without any audio degradation if you could find room for it. The rest of it, oxygen-free copper, silver alloys, bi-wiring, or whatever, is just a clever ploy to get you to part with more of your hard-earned cash!

There are differences in the quality of shielded cable (although I suspect their differences are somewhat exagerated as well), but at audio frequency, any decent insulated single-conductor copper wire is likely to exceed the quality of the rest of the signal path, especially if used wth distortion, or played through a tube amp. Keep your leads short, make sure your solder joints are good, and use whatever wire you're comfortable with. Wes uses solid wire, but for some reason, the Vintage Mojo monkeys don't bother him. B)

BTW, you made one really good point - I wouldn't have believed it, had I not seen it myself, but a lot of players think that 60 cycle hum is an integral part of their sound, and won't let you shield their Strats or Teles because it "takes out the body" or " makes it sound thin". You can't reason with people like that - just nod, smile, and move on! :D

Edited by lovekraft

Lord, forgive me! I really thought BTW was another forum member! Us old farts don't belong here. I just found out what "lol" means! Sorry for my confusion. And, yeah. A lot of the guys I shield and setup for are happy as clams as soon as they plug in their noisy effect pedals and hear that old humm come back. I have gated preamps on my gig-rack and when I let someone try it, they scare the crap out of themselves the first time they crank it. If it doesn't hum, it must not be on.

bill i still like silver and or platinum wire :D lol inside joke

• 2 weeks later...
...i still like silver and or platinum wire...

Well, that's one way to keep the werewolves away! :D

haaaaaaaaaaa thats a good one the only way i can play my amp on a full moon is with uncle Ed's silver wire with silver nitrate stings and i can howl all night long.

"lead to the river midsummer, i waved a V of black swans on with hope to the grave, all through red september with skies fire paved i begged you appear like a thorn for the holy ones"

you have to here this chicks vocals she is amazing.

http://cradleoffilth.com/cof/nymphetamine_video.htm

pretty hot too.

"they scare the crap out of themselves the first time they crank it. If it doesn't hum, it must not be on."

Thats a natural reaction, lol. I got my new amp recently and I'm used to an old 1985 65w Gorilla Tube Cruncher and it buzzes like a freaking massage chair. I got my new amp and turned it on and though I had blown $350 for something that didnt work until I played a note. I was so freaked out.