Guitar Plans (inspired By Toddler68)

Hi all. This is a sketch of the body style for my first guitar, going to be started this summer. It was very much inspired by toddler68's in progress guitar. It will be a neckthru with a lacewood body, maple/something/maple laminate neck, rosewood fretboard (22 frets), EMG 81 pickups, and a tune-o-matic bridge with stoptail. I hope it turns out half decent.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/255073...255074225MUUcJq

Something about the way the carving works out makes the flat parts at the horns look like the top of two big bones. :D

I do like it, though. Although I'm sure lacewood would look excellent, the carving IMO would look spectacular with a veneer top on it, carving through to the main wood underneath. Maybe curly maple down to lacewood or something of the sort. Kinda like this:

http://www.schecterguitars.com/Dproducts/2...ass_nat_pop.jpg

any other opinions? suggestions on something you think looks better? For a little more info, the top is going to be flat, not carved, and the cutaways should provide some sharp contrast to that. It looks like the neck will be maple/walnut/maple, maybe i'll get even more creative with it. The frets markers will be blue LED's(thanks for the help daveG) and the finish will probably be tru-oil, unless i fell like going drastic and dying the body red. I just hope i don't embarass myself, and hopefull it will be done by the end of next summer, so that gives me two summers and some time while i'm in school to finish it. I'd like to start building the templates soon, and hopefully i can make this work with my limited array of tools. Thanks all for all the help you have given me. Neal

Blue LED's against lacewood, walnut and maple?

Well, not my thing, but whatever you want. Personally, I'd go for some nice amber LED's.

Also, while thick laminate 3-piece necks can be nice, I'm more a fan of 5 piece: maple with two walnut stripes. This, of course, means that you need the tools to cut the thin laminates, but if that's possible, I much prefer the look.

I just saw this for the first time and had the same initial reaction about the string paths on the headstock. But then I thought it might be fun (and incredibly confusing to tune) if you made the indention curve on the side more drastic and ran the A and B strings from the top tuners and the D and G strings from the center tuners.

This means that starting at the nut and moving clockwise the tuners would control the following strings: E D A B G E

Like I said, really confusing to tune, and probably a stupid idea as a whole, but I thought I would throw it out since it came to mind.

Great design, though, it looks great!

Mike

this might sound completely stupid as i havent seen it done elsewhere (and theres probably a reason). keeping your headstock design as is, why not use string trees (is that right?) to redirect the D and G into the centre of the headstock so as not to cross with the others?

im not sure if you can do such a severe redirection of strings as i cant say ive seen it done before, but off the top of my head, i cant think why not?