For Sale: 1972 Fender Twin Reverb

Alexander

I have taken the difficult decision to sell my silver face Fender Twin Reverb. I've had it for about 5 years and it's not let me down once. However, my style and sound have changed (now play through an ENGL Screamer 50) so it's sadly surplus to requirements.

For those of you unfamiliar, it's a 2x12, two channel 100W combo with reverb and vibrato. An absolute classic and rightly so.

This is a VERY clean example - has original tiltback legs and castors, I place it circa 1974 - 1980. It's the one with the pull out master volume knob. No rips or tears in the covering or grill, despite having been gigged extensively by myself.

The speakers are not original - at some point they've been swapped out for some HUGE HH jobs - they sound amazing though, it would be a small job to replace then with Jensens or whatever it came with originally.

It's just been completely serviced and re-valved by a professional amp tech, so it's in the prime of it's life. Comes with a dust cover and original footswitch (VERY rare).

I've had it valued by my local guitar shop, but please make me an offer, or I'll trade it for something interesting - try me! I'd like a JCM800 combo in good condition, for example, or a Parker Fly. But anything of a similar value would be fun.

I don't think I'm prepared to ship this overseas - it weighs a flipping ton! Plus, I can imagine you'd want to hear it in action, so this is probably more of interest to UK people. I'm in York, North Yorkshire, England.

twin10.jpg

Lots more pics here

Edited by Alexander

What do you mean by 'HH' jobs, ...heavy as hell?

They look like JBL's by the silver dust caps, which would make it a bit more valuable, so if it has JBL's, you should mention that, mo' $$$'s. :D

What color are the backs, grey or orange? Orange backs mean they're JBL's made specifically for Fender by JBL.

I've had it valued by my local guitar shop, but please make me an offer, or I'll trade it for something interesting - try me!

Lots more pics here

I have a book on British Wildlife, that's pretty interesting. Got quite a few book about Quantum Physics too, they're VERY interesting.

Tell you what, I'll swap all my books for it :D

What does the pull out volume knob do, and was it exclusive to any years? I aks because i have a pro reverb and the volume knob pulls out, I'm pretty sure that it is an 82 but I don't know much about it. Everything about it (besides the speakers) looks exactly the same as your twin reverb.

The volume knob, when pulled out, takes out half the power amp valves (I think) so it breaks up earlier - I will be happy to stand corrected on this!

As far as my research goes, this feature was on the early 70's models.

What kind of Takamine? The amp was valued at 600GBP, although I realise I might not get that realistically, so what's that in USD these days? :D

Wow that sounds like a lot... I can imagine you can pick one of these up cheaper in the US, what with Fender being an American company and so on.

This is a very clean example, though, for it's age and it sounds amazing. It's just so clear and loud - you can turn it way up and you can't tell it's switched on - it's that quiet! A fantastic bit of hand-wired engineering. But I'm sure I don't have to tell you guys... :D

What does the pull out volume knob do, and was it exclusive to any years?  I aks because i have a pro reverb and the volume knob pulls out, I'm pretty sure that it is an 82 but I don't know much about it.  Everything about it (besides the speakers) looks exactly the same as your twin reverb.

i have an early eightees twin reverb II and it has 3 volumes...and when the first volume knob on the 2nd channel is pulled out,it turns on the 2nd channel,which is the "dirty" one

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/

maybe you can find your amp and see what it's controls do

That's a great site, is that! It's the master volume (the third volume if you like) that has the pull-out functionality. I was told by my amp tech that it cuts out two of the four power amp valves which results in an overdrive sound. Again, if any of you know different, please shout up!

Also, the logo is the Fender ® without tail, which makes it a post 1974 model, so I've revised the ad accordingly.

Edited by Alexander

ya I just checked a bunch of sites and they go for about $600 USD. Which just happens to be about what my acoustic is worth B) I bought it new for $700 USD (They usually go for $800 but it was on sale) You can see pics here pics (you must scroll down to see the acoustic) It's a discontinued one, it's model number is EG560CBS. It's a small bodied acoustic/electric with built in tuner. Spruce top nato (a kind of mahogany) back/sides. Includes a hard shell case (the one takamine says to get for this guitar). It has a rosewood finger board (with some prety nice grain) And the electronics have a notch filter (cuts feedback) that you can change the frequency of by turning the knob (you can check out the specs of the electronics here) So PM me if you have any questions. So a $800 dollar acoustic would be like getting $540 pounds. If your cool with that PM me and i'll tell you more.

There is nothing wrong with it that would impeed playabillity. The only problems are cosmetic, the standard pick scratches and one small dont on the heel of the neck where I dropped a capo on it :D (It being there does NOT impact the structual integrity in any way)

(PS: I would pay shipping for the guitar and the amp. I know it will be a lot to ship that sucker)

Edited by Godin SD

yea, nice site! Now I think that mine is an 1980 since the site said they switched to blackface cosmetics again in the middle of that year, and mine is silver. I also found out what the little number thats on the back control panel means - 0821 on mine. The first digits are the year backwards, and the last two are the week backwards. So, my amp is a 1980 made right around the middle of March.

ya I just checked a bunch of sites and they go for about $600 USD.  Which just happens to be about what my acoustic is worth  B)  I bought it new for $700 USD (They usually go for $800 but it was on sale) You can see pics here pics (you must scroll down to see the acoustic) It's a discontinued one, it's model number is EG560CBS. It's a small bodied acoustic/electric with built in tuner. Spruce top nato (a kind of mahogany) back/sides. Includes a hard shell case (the one takamine says to get for this guitar). It has a rosewood finger board (with some prety nice grain) And the electronics have a notch filter (cuts feedback) that you can change the frequency of by turning the knob (you can check out the specs of the electronics here)  So PM me if you have any questions.  So a $800 dollar acoustic would be like getting $540 pounds. If your cool with that PM me and i'll tell you more.

There is nothing wrong with it that would impeed playabillity. The only problems are cosmetic, the standard pick scratches and one small dont on the heel of the neck where I dropped a capo on it :D  (It being there does NOT impact the structual integrity in any way)

(PS: I would pay shipping for the guitar and the amp. I know it will be a lot to ship that sucker)

That's a beautiful guitar! Hmmmm I've been promising myself a really nice acoustic, either a Taylor or Takamine. I'm talking to a few other folks at the moment (one of whom has a JCM 800 4211 combo) but I'll bear it in mind.

Still no idea how I'd ship something this big and heavy overseas - anyone sent amps across the pond before? How do you pack it, and who do you go with?

Packing an amp like that is an art in itself to do it the right way.

I've shipped Twin Reverbs from the East Coast USA to Alaska and many other heavy-yet delicate items, I have a 100% record so far.

It would take about 15 minutes of typing to explain it all in detail, I don't really feel like going thru it all if you're not going to do it.

Best bet is to pay the extra $50.00 to have a professional shipping company do it for you.

Believe me, if you don't know what you're doing, I can almost guarantee you that amp will arrive as a twisted hunk of junk broken into many pieces then both of you lose and it will wind up being a really bad experience.

I'm willing to type it out IF you're willing to do exactly what I recommend. Otherwise, pay the extra $$$ to have it done by a pro.

And whether you have a pro box it or not, pull all the tubes out and wrap them individually and carefully, and put them in a box and give the box to the shipper and tell them to include it in the big box, or else you'll wind up with shattered glass all over the inside of the amp upon arrival.

And believe me, I've been there. I've received amps with broken glass all over the place, amps with transformers that broke right off their mounting studs and were hanging by nothing but the wires from people who knew nothing about boxing amps the right way.

That's just for starters, there's much more if you want to attempt it (the RIGHT way)

And no matter which way you go, GET IT INSURED FOR MORE THAN IT'S WORTH.