Ready To Beat Somebody

So, I've been flailing around with my first project guitar for a couple of weeks now. I've done a couple setups before, and they've turned out pretty good, but this one was driving me nuts! So I took it to a guy who does setups for Nashville session players.

He pointed out that there is a slight warp in the neck that I bought on eBay... and it can't be fixed. So I called the guys at USA Custom Guitars, and talked to Steve for a while. (He was totally cool and very informative!) We discussed some options, and he told me to spend some time at a specific guitar shop that uses their necks, checking out various fret sizes, neck profiles, and so on, before buying a custom neck. That's cool!

After I talked to him, I had to run to an event that the Songwriter's Guild was holding. When I got home, I started looking at the pictures on USA's web site, again. Hmmm... all of their 22 fret necks have an overhang... and my guitar neck does not. (The neck ends even with the fretboard... and my neck pocket and mounting screws were set up for that neck.) I started checking other sites... Warmouth, Mighty Mite, Fender... and all of the necks I saw have a fretboard overhang on the 22 fret necks.

I am soooo pissed off right now! I knew I could end up with a warped neck (from eBay) but I never expected this big of a mess! I wish I could beat that seller with his guitar neck!

So, does anybody have any productive ideas?

The neck is slightly visible between the fretboard and the body, so I hate to patch a piece of wood in there just so I can use a "standard" neck.

I really DON'T want to buy all of the tools (right now) just so I can build a neck for this beast... but the body has turned out so nice that I can't scrap it.

I've already written to the guys at USA, to see if they can make a neck without the overhang. It would be nice if they could... but I have no idea what they can do.

Did I mention that I'm really pissed off?

D~s

The overhang doesn't change the size of the heel AFAIK; at least, that's how it was for my Warmoth neck. Take some measurements of the heel, and I'll betcha they'll match the measurements of some other standard neck size-- most likely fender, which is more or less duplicated by all the aftermarket brands.

Sorry to hear, though!

I have a 22 fret neck, and there is NO overhang; the neck goes all the way to the end.

The other 22 fret necks are basically 21 fret necks with an overhang for the 22nd fret.

And, yes, the bridge is installed. (I was trying to setup the strings and pickups.)

BTW: Did I mention that it's warped? (That's why it's going bye-bye.)

D~s

Edited by Dugz Ink

I think everyone understands why it's being tossed but the question Perry and I were asking is what the issue was with the USACG necks? I was guessing that it was a scale length / intonation issue but I don't know. Is that why you are looking into getting one custom made and can't use their stock necks?

The USACG and Warmoth necks are designed to fit in the Fender Strat/Tele neck pockets, depending on which one you specify. They feature an overhang for the 22nd fret because the pockets were originally designed by Fender for 21-fret necks.

So, the real question is, how did you figure out the scale length of your guitar and how did you measure the bridge placement? If the guitar is scaled for the neck you have now, the new shorter neck may affect the scale length unless you have sufficient space between the end of the neck and the body in the neck pocket.

If the guitar is scaled for the neck you have now, the new shorter neck may affect the scale length unless you have sufficient space between the end of the neck and the body in the neck pocket.

Exactly!

And since the mounting bolts have been drilled (in the body) for the longer neck pocket, I can't use a shorter neck; one of the lower bolts (screws) will miss a shorter neck, and the other lower bolt will just hit the edge. (I did not use a "Fender" mounting bracket. I use mounting ferrules, which I offest to keep them from being lined up... and strength-related trick I learned building rifles stocks.)

Is that any clearer?

Is there any other style/type of neck that can be substituted/modified?

D~s

Fill the old mounting holes in the neck pocket with dowels. Put the new USACG or Warmoth neck in the pocket and see how much space there is between the end of the neck and the back of the pocket. Fab a piece of wood to take up that space--it shouldn't be THAT much if it's a 25-1/2 scale guitar. Drill new mounting holes in the pocket for the new neck. String, tune, intonate, enjoy.

You did use a 25-1/2 inch scale, right?

Fill the old mounting holes in the neck pocket with dowels.

I'm using mounting ferrules... which are counter-sunk into the body. Those holes will take some pretty big dowels.

That's why I was hoping that somebody knew of a 22 fret neck that had a neck/fretboard that didn't have an over hang.

You did use a 25-1/2 inch scale, right?

Yep.

D~s

I'm using mounting ferrules... which are counter-sunk into the body. Those holes will take some pretty big dowels.

That's why I was hoping that somebody knew of a 22 fret neck that had a neck/fretboard that didn't have an over hang.

So...use some big dowels, then?

There's nothing "Fender standard" that's going to fit your neck pocket if you leave it as-is. You're either going to have to commission or build a neck yourself if you want one that'll fit the neck pocket for the strange neck you used.

You could probably look up some Ibanez or ESP neck pocket dimensions and see if there's a neck that you can modify or adjust your neck pocket a little to make one fit. I really think the simplest way to go is fill the holes you made with thick dowels, redo the neck pocket a little, and buy a USACG or Warmoth neck. Sorry, bud.

Have you tried contacting the person you bought the neck from on ebay? Perhaps they'll exchange it for a good neck.

If they won't exchange it, please post the auction/sellers name so we can all avoid this person.

Edited by javacody

It's been three months since I bought the neck, so I think all bets are off. Besides, he was hard enough to deal with when I bought the neck. (He threatened to leave negative feedback if I didn't pay... after he cashed my check. When I proved that he had cashed my check, it took him another 5 days to ship it.)

He didn't leave any feedback for me (butt-munch!) so I can't find him in my eBay profile information. I guess I'll look through the checkbook, find his real name, then see if I can find his eBay screen name.

If I find it, I'll post it. (Thanks for that suggestion!)

As for filling the body... it's not going to happen. I'll make a new body (or guitar, in this case) before I have huge plugs in the back of this body. If I can't find a different model of neck that will work (ie: neck as long as a 22 fret 18¾" fretboard) then I'll will have one made. I'm checking with two possible sources right now.

You have to understand, the guitar tech, the manager, and two sales-geeks at Guitar Center flipped over this guitar body... which made me realise that it wasn't my own personal bias that made me think that this was a great looking body.

When the the guitar tech said my guitar could sell for over $1000 (with a decent neck on it) my wife said that she would pay for a new neck if he could find one for under $250. (That came as a complete shock to me.) So this puppy isn't getting filled with dowels and putty.

D~s

My bet would be to contact Warmoth or USA Customs......bet they can help you out with proper neck. Can't imagine they don't have ablitilty to leave wood in places they normally would take wood away.

22 fret 25.5" scale necks shouldn't be rocket science.

Good luck.

Ann any chance of posting pic of body wood???? Would like to see what all the fuzz is about.

any chance of posting pic of body wood???? Would like to see what all the fuzz is about.

I don't have a digital camera, but I'll have to borrow one; one of the people I'm talking to wants to see a pic, too. The funny part is, I made it out of some Poplar that I found on the floor at Home Depot. It had been thrown to the side because it had a lot of mineral streaking and everybody thought it was "bad" wood.

I honestly didn't think anybody would take this project seriously... until I went to GC.

D~s

Just got a reply from USA Guitars...

It's a bit of a problem but I can do it for an extra $125.00 as we would have to program the new style of neck. If that is worth it to you I believe I can help you out!

Thanks again!

Tommy.

Oh well... that made THAT decision easier. I was thinking about going with a small custom shop (they contacted me through PG), but the folks at USA have been so helpful in the past that I didn't want to cut them out of this project... but I can't justify paying 55% more just for the neck.

D~s

try looking around at a few pawn shops I've gotten parts guitars for as little as $35 cnd with SD pickups. if u look enough im sure you'll find a 22 fret neck with no overhang :D

Keep in mind, with going with USACG you'll probably get the neck faster and it will be good enough for an investment grade instrument. The $125 fee to take the machine offline and reprogram it to the specs of your current neck is alone worth the money if you're looking to sell the instrument for $1000.

What did the other shop quote you for a total?

Again, why not try to build one yourself?

In a word: Tools. My shop shop is already so crowded that we moved my radial-arm saw to a friend's house. Even now, I'm having to move stuff so I have room to work on stuff, then I have to move stuff, again.

What did the other shop quote you for a total?

About $200. (He doesn't use a CNC, so he doesn't have to re-program anything.)

D~s

Would it be possible to move your bridge instead of the neck?

I don't know what kinda set-up you have on the body.

It may be more of a pain depending on your bridge style and pick-up routes. I'm trying to think of options for ya.

Just a thought (not a very good one, hehe).