2 New Projects For The Year

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have hard time thinking that anyone would notice it tonewise.

And with pups and tremolo cover in place I betya no one will ever notice it.

I must say when I routed my OFR tremolo cavity, I was really surprised how much wood was taking out of body. I still have pup cavities to go....and reading about Huynsu's screw-up and your I will take good care not to be the third.

But I was surprised how much space is taken-up by pups and tremolo's. I guess it;s something that you have to get used to. Specially when starting with nice solid body slap. :D

Just curious, does it matter if there is any wood between the pickup cavitys and tremolo system? The only thing i can think of is pickup wires hanging down but if i tuck them away i thought i would be ok. Opinons everyone?

i dont it matters if theres no wood between the tremolo cavity and the p'up cavities, because you wont see the gap if you use pickup rings or a pick guard. and plus it wont effect the play ability...why would it?

however you would have to make sure that the cables and wires do not get caught up in the springs and what not.

but other than that i dont see much of a problem there, i say that you should carry on with the routing and if you do go deeper than you should...then dont worry its cool

Just got done routing some more of the Jem. The only things i have to finish up now are the rest of the front of the trem recess and the rest of the battery cavity on the back. Then the routing on the jem is done and i get to move onto the routing of the cavity for the V. Here is a pic and links to the rest.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffB...em/DCP_0414.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffB...em/DCP_0413.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffB...em/DCP_0412.jpg

Edit: Just found something that made my day, i was looking in my garage and found a huge piece of wood i bought and forgot i had of alder. There is enough for at least two more guitars here :DB):D

Suggestion:

You might want to put something between the springs and pickups, or at least something to damp the vibration of the springs. Don't know for sure, but I'd be afraid of all kinds of mysterious and vexing noises coming from that cavity.

From www.vai.com:

"The padding on the back is stuffed with tissue paper to cut down the noise of the springs and the vibrations in the back cavity that inevitably flow through the body and create a lot of noise that is picked up through the pickups. The tissue cuts this noise down tremendously and this tightens up the sound considerably."

Evo Back

dude everything looks awesome, sweet job dude

Are we looking at same pics, DUDE???

To me you could brush up on your template making skills......cause that battery cavity looks pretty butchered up to me. :D

And yeah I know all get's covered up by cover plates anyway....but still.

What is the extra work to do it right the first time. Make nice slick template out of MDF......spend little more time on it to get it perfect.

Route by it with template bit and voila.......nice clean cut.

And considering the routing errors in tremolo cavity....I would glue thin sheet of alder in place in trem cavity. Just couple of mm.......it would tiddy everything up again. Seal everything with filler and after painting no-one will ever know the difference.

my battery compartment is for the leds to power off of and its not done yet lol. Thats why it looks so shottie. i did that roughly and then had to clean up cause it was getting really dark outside. I will go over and clean it up tomarrow most likely if it dont rain. Also i am going to put some then foam type stuff in the trem cavity, im debating between foam and a thin piece of alder. I would do alder but would be confussed on how to glue it in there. We will find out. Also it seems like my neck wasnt meant to be, after about 2 or 3 mess ups and 2 or 3 repairs i made one more mistake on it. Dont even seem how i did it but i did :D . So im going to talk to my teach, he might know a way to fix it. If not, im not too heart broken, guess it just wasnt meant to be lol. I have some birdseye maple here too so i can get right back on it.

I'm reading late at night, about to go to bed, and my concentration is shot. But since experienced people didn't say anything, I MUST have missed something. That disclaimer out of the way:

Why can I see all the way through your guitar? :D I don't know anything about Jems, but I didn't think there was ANY guitar that required routing right through it except for the trem block.

Greg

I'm reading late at night, about to go to bed, and my concentration is shot.  But since experienced people didn't say anything, I MUST have missed something.  That disclaimer out of the way:

Why can I see all the way through your guitar?  :D  I don't know anything about Jems, but I didn't think there was ANY guitar that required routing right through it except for the trem block.

Greg

I was just wondering the same thing. Plus, in general, the routing doesn't look straight. How did you route through? Well, I guess I know how but why?

Just take some thin veneer and glue it across the bottom of the rear cavity. The glue would be placed on the 2 spans of wood between each pup caivty. If you use 2 thin pieces of veneer glued together, it should be a decent fix, and shouldnt get in the way of the springs.

Take some measurements and see what thickness veneer would be acceptable.

I went to the plastic shop today and my mirror front is underway being worked on as we speak. He said it should be done monday, if not monday then tuesday most likely, depends on how many problems he encouters. He gave me a big piece of scrap so that i could test different types of glues to glue it. Total cost it cost me for the material was 13 dollers.... lol, the price came in in labor which was about 60 buck. so round80 bucks total, i didnt think it was bad at all compared to sims, lol. So ibanez and sims even for that matter are totally marking these things outta control. I also got my jem and V neck cut out and here are some pics.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffB...em/DCP_0420.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffB...em/DCP_0419.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffB...em/DCP_0418.jpg