My Rg -> Jem Project

Alrighty guys, I'm a noobie but i hope you guys can help me out with some things.. I've already stripped my '92 RG down to just the body, and i have a few questions.. Should i strip the paint before i do some of the routing ill be doing or should i keep it and strip it after im done... The work im planning on doing includes:

Routing Space for fernandes sustainer

Monkey Grip

Jem style input jack

Jem style neck joint

Another question i have is my body has the same crack near the heel as many jems and rgs, if i were to do the neck joint conversion, would it make the neck really unstable and weak? Is there anything i should watch out for in the process of doing all these things?

Thanks in advance for any of your help!

Mike

I think it doesn't really matter. What matters is to get everything smooth before you start finishing again.

It just looks more clean to first strip and then custom. Otherwise it might look bit honky-dory.......but that's just looks as you're going along.

And is crack in heel in paint.....or in body too....otherwise you wanna fix that too.

Edited by RGGR

Im not sure if its through the body or just the paint..... Ill take pictures of the whole process... i should have pics of the bare body with paint in about half an hour... thanks for the info.... i think im just gonna strip the paint then do the work.... Heres a link to my little site that hosts my pics... You can see i also have a little squire strat project im workin on... but i took pics of the RG before and after the parts strip... ill have more pics of the rg without the paint in a few days...

www.parkerfly.250free.com

Edited by Parker_Fly

Alright well I just took pics of the RG in process of stripping it down.. It looks pretty sad lookin lol.... Theres like 50 coats on this thing!! But anyway after i get it all stripped down and do all the routing im gonna paint it black.. Like the Jem PBK (I already have the white knobs and black/white/black pickguard) i decided to not do the neck joint because theres a crack there and in my gut i think if i do it it will make it really weak and i dont want it to crack, its not really that worth it.... but I have 2 more pics of it getting stripped down, (keep in mind im like 1/4 of the way done) but I also have a question.... What would you recommend i use to paint it? Its gonna be black, but I dont wanna spend a significant amount of money on paint, say less than $50 B) .... When i painted my strat which is on my website now, i only paid 13 bucks for the paint at pepboys... Do you think some automotive paint is the way to go?

Parkerfly.250free.com

Give me some advice or tell me what you think so far :D

Finally got more progress pics... Got the measurements laid out for the monkey grip and the lines drawn for the sanding and routing on the neck joint... Here they are:

http://parkerfly.dmusic.com/pictures

Also just finished scalloping my upper 4 frets... Its not the the best job, but im really happy with it since its my first time and im only 16... I wanna do a few touch ups on the edges but here it is:

Scallop1.JPG

Edited by Parker_Fly

Thanks guys! The way we did the neck joint was use a router to rout the area flat about a half an inch from the curved line we drew, and used a flap sander on my dremel motor tool to smooth the contours out... We actually didnt end up using the tut's at all... We just used the pics for comparison and my jem dbk... Should have the sustainer by the end of the week, but we will start putting some laquer on before then.. We're gonna have at least 20 coats of it.....

STILL AWAITING PARTS!!

check this out:

real_illusions_tournews.jpg

thats the bad horsie jem, it just looks black because theres really no reflection on the chrome top, or its reflecting a black surface back at you.. but it looks like its black with binding... if i did a white binding that would make the black white theme a little more interesting.. wat do you think?

Nice progress so far, on the scallop job, I will have to say that you went a bit too far down. I know that it is your 1st and that you are only 16..... but if you are going to do something, take your time, think it twice, mark the areas that you will be taking wood out, or were you don't want to take wood from, and you will have a better job. I started working with wood when I was about 11 with my dad, and I was 35, last summer when I firts decided to cut into a guitar... don't let anyone say that for a youg boy it is good enough, if you know that you can do better, do better!...

And while you wait on parts, you can start smoothin up the monkey grip and heel, just to get you occupied.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I read lot of fuzz about these sustainers lately.

What is exactly up with them. :D

From what I understand, (with my limited knowledge :D of the matter) that it's a device in place of neck pup, that creates kinda electronic artificial sustain in/at guitar.

Never knew half a motherboard came with that machine.