My New Gibson Lp Studio

westhemann

well..i just got my lp in today...lp studio plus 99,for those keeping track.

first thing i notice about this guitar is that it is gorgeous...fit and finish are perfect.

it was not set up perfectly...had to lower the bridge pickup.i need to lower the action...small stuff.

plays great,even with the slightly high action...the balance of the instrument is perfect.stays right where you put it.this surprised me,to be honest.i expected it to be neck heavy,which it is not.

pickups are exceptional...yes i will replace them,through no fault of their own...i prefer emg.but the originals are very nice...great liquid tone.

the guitar is resonant.very much so in fact.the mahogany used is gorgeous and straight grained,while the AA flame maple top is subtly beautiful.

fretwork is also exceptional.

the guitar sounds great,looks great,IS great...well worth the $1200 or so they usually cost

comparisons between it and the agile i bought a while back?there is no comparison.

this guitar just proves to me that those who claim the agile is as good,or even nearly as good,as a real gibson,either have no clue about guitars,do not know how to set up their guitars,cannot play the instrument well enough to hear a difference,or have piss poor les pauls.

let me just say that there are many versions of the les paul...the les paul studio seems in this case to be a fine instrument...i am sure all the more pricey models are also very nice...but there are some very cheap lp versions out there and it is not fair to judge all gibsons based on those low grade,low priced instruments.

anyway i heartily reccomend that everyone that wants an lp studio should treat themselves to one...you won't be sorry.

i hope when my steinberger comes in it is as well made

Geez man, what kinda day job do you have?? How many guitars do you have in total, I bet you've got a ton. I've got a LP special, and it is pretty good too. How do you tell if the fretwork is good?? No buzzing, smooth filed edges, seated well?? I'm kinda nervous about my first fretjob and would like some feedback. I don't mean to hijack either, good review. Gibson takes alot of crap, but they do make pretty good guitars. Not the "Best" alot of people say, but good nontheless.

Geez man, what kinda day job do you have?? How many guitars do you have in total, I bet you've got a ton. I've got a LP special, and it is pretty good too. How do you tell if the fretwork is good?? No buzzing, smooth filed edges, seated well?? I'm kinda nervous about my first fretjob and would like some feedback. I don't mean to hijack either, good review. Gibson takes alot of crap, but they do make pretty good guitars. Not the "Best" alot of people say, but good nontheless.

i am an ironworking foreman..i make decent money....almost 4 times minimum wage,and i do consistently work overtime as well.

but i have outstanding credit...so i can buy what i want,when i want it,at any place that accepts visa or mastercard.

and then i have to become a monk for a while to pay it all off.but it is worth it.

an lp special is,if i am not mistaken,a low end gibson...lp studio is one step above that...studio plus...2 steps.

a good fretjob = level frets,perfect crowning,well polished(feels slick when played),nice smooth bevel at the fret ends(not too much bevel...the strings will slide off.)

what really impresses me is the well thought out design.i guess that is what you get from selling guitars for over a century.

i just lowered the action a tiny bit...it plays like butter.

oh...i have 9 guitars in playing condition,about a 1/2 dozen more in pieces or being constructed,one more guitar on the way,4 working amps,and one more on the way

Wow, ironworking foreman eh?? I did take a metal working shop in highschool so maybe I need to go work for you :D. Hell yes it sounds like you make decent money, I've just always wondered cause you appear to be loaded. Yeah the special is their lowest end, for $500 is was a steal though.....Hey, what kind of pickups were those that came with yours, if they're burstbuckers I'll buy em off ya...

Yeah, that's like mine but it's a flat top and it has klusons. What ARE you going to do with the old pickups though?? I got a friend who might want to buy them if you're interested. And no, this "Friend" is not me. lol