Pinch Harmonics

I can't believe I just got this. Pinch harmonics are just like any other harmonics. But instead, the note that you are fretting is acting as the nut, and since there is more tension on the string being fretted, the harmonics are harder to get, thus making it only usable if you only barely brush the string wth your thumb. bogus!

THe description of what you are talking about is not for pinch harmonics. What you are talking about is when you transpose the harmonics to different places on the neck by freting notes and then findidng the place that the natural harmonics is suppose to be and pulling them out.

Pich harmonics are performed by you choking the vibration of the string by double taping it with the finger or the pic depending how you do it.

what I am having trouble with is tap harmonics. If I understand correctly, I would fret the 5th fret on the A string or whatever, then tap the string right above the 17th (an octave higher) fret with my right hand. I'm trying to get it for the part of EVH's solo in Dreams, where you fret and bend a string, then tap harmonics on it. I can't get them to come out at all, even with a bunch of gain, so I think I am doing something wrong.

what I am having trouble with is tap harmonics.  If I understand correctly, I would fret the 5th fret on the A string or whatever, then tap the string right above the 17th (an octave higher) fret with my right hand.  I'm trying to get it for the part of EVH's solo in Dreams, where you fret and bend a string, then tap harmonics on it.  I can't get them to come out at all, even with a bunch of gain, so I think I am doing something wrong.

you are tapping it above the actual fret ,right?not the space between frets?

you must touch it right above the proper fret...and i mean barely touch it and pull off quickly...you should not really move the string at all when you tap it...that's how light it should be.

it is very easy to do,if you do it right

yea i tap it right above the fret. I think i might touch it to long though, and I will try tapping it shorter. the thing that was making it hard, i think, was that I am tapping the equivalent to the 7th and 9th fret hamonics on an open string. I would here the '7th' one, but the 9th is harder to get out. But thanks for the help, Wes.

tap harmonics are really easy...you simply tap{with your finger not your pick} the fret 12 frets above were you are playing. just like taping, but do it lightly. now pinch harmonics i never could get. it hapens by mistake alot but i have never been able to just do it on command. any pointers?

muck around on the 3rd string, around the 12th fret until you get your feet a bit more - it seems to be a very screamalicious area when your starting out, im sure other people will have some other suggestions of good spots to start out.

Besides that, just practice them a lot and eventually you will get it and then its all just about working on it until you can do them all over the fretboard, and get them to a stage that you can do them wherever you want and (within reason) know what sound to expect, because of course depending on where you strike them with your picking hand has an effect on the sound of the harmonic in the end as well, so thats another variable you have to get used to. Rest assured its entirely possible though, and its very fun :D

any pointers?

believe it or not there are a few topics on just this in which i and others have written long explanations on how to get them.

basically,all i do is kind of pick hard,in the correct spot for the note i am playing,so that my thumb brushes the string i just picked on the way by.

practice on the 12th fret to begin with,because there are many harmonic sweet spots on that area.

and do a search on "pinch harmonics" and "squeel" and "squeal"

(lots of bad spellers on this site)

the thing that was making it hard, i think, was that I am tapping the equivalent to the 7th and 9th fret hamonics on an open string.

yeah..but the 5th/17th you mention originally is the one i play all the time...along with the 7th/19th

off the song "the ballad" by testament

this is the part i was trying to get:

--5b7-[14]-[12]-[14]-5b6-[12]-[14]-5-[12]-

In the performance notes:

1. Bend G string one full step at 5th fret and hold bend.

2. Tap harmonic at 14th fret with RH.

3. Tap harmonic at 12th fret with RH.

4. Tap harmonic at 14th fret with RH and release bend 1/2 step.

5. Tap harmonic at 12th fret with RH.

6. Tap harmonic at 14th fret and release bend fully.

7. Tap harmonic at 12th fret and vibrato with LH.