I Got Some New Maple!

I will do man I just having AA realy hard time geting the bits I need for working on the neck :D theres not alot that I can do well maybe some sanding and shaping on the body but Im not realy sure what I should do with the top I was thinking about shaping it something like the top of a B.C Rich Virgin or nonthing at all

what do you guy's think what should I do with this top?

!!METAL MATT!! :D

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally METAL - I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

I think the upper horn looks good, if not better now. You did shorten it after the drop, right?

Again, love the body!

Well Ya I did it was in realy bad shape and I was going to trash it but I just love this maple so much That I could not give up on it so easly :D so I did some cuting and some sanding and that's what I ended up with, Im glad you like it man!

I think this body design is crying out for a big carve. Like from the center gradually going out, and DEEP, like allmost the thickness of the body.

Got any examples?? Im haveing a hard time seeing it im not realy sure what I should do with it

If any one has any ideas show me some pics!! or MOD the ones That I have hear

WOW!!! 

thats one nice axe!!

what hardware and electrics are you going for??

I think i'd look lovely in green!!

Robert

P.S METAL RULES!!!

Thanks man well for a bridge Im going with a hipshot 7 string

http://www.hipshotproducts.com/images/7stgfixedlores.jpg

and my pickup will be a EMG-707

http://www.emgpickups.com/displayproducts....=6&catalogid=89

this is where im going for the dye Green or red not sure yet

http://www.woodessence.com/Dyesdefault.html

Im not sure what I will be useing for the outher stuff yet

and hey welcome to PG man have some fun :D

ok matt I just threw this together.

carve.jpg

The black in the middle is basicly flat. And going out from it (as depicted by the lines) is the carve. You will need too make the horns lower than the pickups, so imagine that the black part that goes into the horns is alo getting lower. Up on top of my image is the cross section of the carve. Thats the back of the guitar on the bottom I hope that makes sense... :D Please ask away if It diddn't.

I find that this kind of carve looks great and is very comfterable too play. It also looks less rounded and like a bubble as the carve is more graduale and IMO would look great with this body design.

Basicly you would suck the flat part too just the size of the bridge and pickups so right after the pickups and bridge it starts carving down.

BTW I like the horn shorter. I think it kinda looked like some kind of bug with the being all long. :D

Edited by Godin SD

Oh ya I see what your talking about man your right that would look deadly but the only thing that could give me a hard time is that the top is not that thick, but it might look cool with the figerd maple ending and the spalted maple starting half way in the curve it would suck to lose that wild maple DAM IT I hate this now Iam torn :D

what do think man lose some figering for the shape or try something else?

Oh I diddn't take that into account... I would deffinitly go with something else. Breaking through the top and continuing the carve on the back would IMO look BUTT UGLY. You can do the same pattern but just go the depth of the top. How thick is the top any ways?

oh and I'm not sure if you found a dye you wan't too use yet but I bought the stewmac green dye and it looks REALLY good on flame maple. My next guitar (mabye) will be a two cutaway design thats green swamp ash with a green maple neck.

Edited by Godin SD

Maythetop.jpg

Well Iam not to sure I just sanded it and all the tools are packed up still but it's way under 1\2 for sure, well hears a pic of the body it should show you what I have to work with.

EDIT:

Ok this is kinda dumb but cool at the same time I did an invert just to see and give the body some color :D what do think

new

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ZAD...Maythetop11.jpg

old

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ZAD.../Maythetop1.jpg

Thanks Matt

I think that it'd look cool in green or red. I like red quilt top a lot. I think that's about the only finnish I'd use gold hardware on!

EMG 707's are good. I've heard them and they 'master' metallica tones easily (couldn't resist that pun) and are good for all sorts of trash and cool metal sounds! but they're emg's so what else do you expect!

nice to see someone else that's not using tremelo's too!!

like that new pic. the grain looks superb!

if you want I'll try and do some photo shops to show you what the green/red colours might look like on the grain.....but it'll have to be tomorrow.....its 11:52 and I have to be up in the morning tomorrow! (no midday breakfast for me!)

Thanks Matt

I think that it'd look cool in green or red. I like red quilt top a lot. I think that's about the only finnish I'd use gold hardware on!

EMG 707's are good. I've heard them and they 'master' metallica tones easily (couldn't resist that pun) and are good for all sorts of trash and cool metal sounds! but they're emg's so what else do you expect!

nice to see someone else that's not using tremelo's too!!

like that new pic. the grain looks superb!

if you want I'll try and do some photo shops to show you what the green/red colours might look like on  the grain.....but it'll have to be tomorrow.....its 11:52 and I have to be up in the morning tomorrow! (no midday breakfast for me!)

Hey man go for it that would be cool I would love to see some colors so go NUTS

and Ya Im not a realy big fan of tremelo's on a 7-string it's just not my thing.

Dec12119cayle.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ZAD...ics/bc40004.jpg

And mosers Scythe http://www.nealmoser.com/scythe.htm

OK ya that's what I was thinking some thing like a B.C Rich virgin

Is that What your talking about or am I way off hear

Just screwing around in photoshop........... Didn't finish the neck area........

SH@#T WOW MAN :D I mean F$%#K I love that, how in the hell did you do that, that looks just so God dam good That IS exalty what I see in my head

Now I gota make the real guitar look that good B)

THANKS!!

Ok now looking at tha DEADLY pic that Gigabyte made up what do you guys think

1.chrome hardware

2.black hardware

Hey man dont sweet it there's allways someone beter at something

I like the center green one it's like a lime green sunburst :D

and thanks for doing the B.C Rich copy now I can show cayle some color ideas

Thanks man!

EDIT: Ya I think im going to start a new thread on this guitar since it's comeing out so well Im going to name it and start some real work on it

I guess I have another a new design!! B)

Hey Matt, your top is not thick enough for a deep carve like that, you will need at least 1/2"-3/4", but you can get by using a black burst on the edge to hide were the cap ends..

Gigabyte, since you already have it done, can you add a black burst to that rendering you just did, just to see how it will look

I dont now man Maybe If I dont go as deep and run the edges realy thin but with out going through to the other wood It might work If Im careful and Hey if it does not work I could still burst it

What do you think Maiden? Could I get away with it and not have to use a sunburst?

And hey Gigabyte I would love to see it in a burst If your up to it! :D