I Got Some New Maple!

Well I could go further in two the center of the body from the sides It wount be exalty like that pic but I would be dam close I realy think I can make it work

what's going to be the best way for me to do the angles with out going to deep

I would rather not have to do a sunburst I've just never done one before

and I realy want this one to turn out!

!!METAL MATT!! :D

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's some red ones.... For some reason photoshop didn't do the burst as evenly as I would have liked but you get the picture :D

redguitarmatt.jpg

I would have to agree though, I don't think you will be able to pull off a carve like that with the top wood being so thin (1/4?). When I photochopped it I didn't see the other pic of the the body from the side revealing the thickness of the top wood. If you think you can pull it off I I'd say go for it, just be carefull not to sand thru......

Edited by Gigabyte

Here's some red ones.... For some reason photoshop didn't do the burst as evenly as I would have liked but you get the picture  B)

redguitarmatt.jpg

I would have to agree though, I don't think you will be able to pull off a carve like that with the top wood being so thin (1/4?). When I photochopped it I didn't see the other pic of the the body from the side revealing the thickness of the top wood. If you think you can pull it off I I'd say go for it, just be carefull not to sand thru......

:D omg.. that looks amazing... matt!! the red > the green imo... whooooie.. :D

Ya man That looks sooooo sweet but You guys are right I dont think I can Get away with the carve Like that for a few resons first off Ya my top is to thin unless I do a sunburst and I was looking at it

and I realy have no Idea how to do that :D could someone help me with that one? Pics, info, tips anything because I MUST have My guitar just like that I NEED TO KNOW! :D

Oh ya man Thanks for the deadly Pic man there realy helping me with this design!

I owe you one :D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

hmm.. is the top glued already? if not, you could always use the extra maple and kinda do a "bind" around the bottom, which would give you thicker maple at the edges, allowing for a deeper carve..

and the color looks like it could be done with a see-thru paint with a clear coat, or with a stain and a clear coat. finding the right red might be a problem though lol.. it looks like a bit of a blood red, not quite crimson.. but close

either way, DO EET that color, even without the carve taht would slay

Ya cool thanks man, Im thinking I may have to go that way on this build Just because of how thin the top is

What do you guy's think??

I would still do it with the curves, even if your top is thin, you said you wanted to burst it, by using a black fade from the edge or a really dark color you can conceal the edge where the solid body would show through. If you don't have spray equipment this is an easy way to do a burst.

1. Do the whole black/dark stain first then sand away to really bring out the grain. You might have seen the tutorial on this site, if not look for it, I don't remember where its at, sorry.

2. Do your first coat of your main color, while its still wet, use a seperate cloth with water, alcohol, whatever you need to use as a thinner for whatever type of dye you are using, and keep wiping away starting in the center and work your way out. I use a spray bottle and I just keep spraying and wiping till it soaks up the excess stain.

3. When it is looking close to how you want it let it dry, sand with very fine paper to try to enhance the fade and stain again. Each time you do this leave the area you want lightest without putting stain on on. After a few coats you can get a real nice burst effect and you have a whole lot of control with it, just work fast and with confidence.

4. When done do your black, or darker color to conceal the joint , unless you can inlay something at that border to make a nice transition of woods.

If I were you I would make some kind of inlay or border and really show the edge where the two woods meet. I used this stain process to do my V.

• 1 month later...

work.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ZAD...ICS/WORKNEW.jpg

Ok It's Been A while And I almost sold It :D But I did some Work today

On the Top, And Buy the way the bevals Are Just To help guide me so that I can get the shape I want :D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

I really like that body style... I just can't imagine making myself a guitar that I couldn't play sitting down. I guess I'm just stodgy that way. :D

Greg

Looking awesome Matt. I still hope you do the Viking design later on

-Jamie

Oh ya man Im heading Out to the Dump today to see if I can find Some wood And

metal!

OI! BIN RAKER!

i got caught having a look in a skip the other day, it was full of knackered furniture and i thought "oh i, there might something useful in there..." i moved a chest of drawers over and guy behind me was shouting "OI... GET OUT OF THERE"

i moved on feeling like a naughty schoolboy. thats the thing with doing wood projects and being skint, you cant help but eye up everything made of wood!

its been ages since i looked at this thread matt and bloody nora ive missed alot!

its looking good, that dye is gonna rock and any hardware would go with it.

silly question... but are you putting in pots? would be a shame to spoil that design with some nasty plastic jobbies. what about something alternative for knobs? someone mentioned rivvets earlier on...

OI! BIN RAKER!

Oh ya man My whole Life I've Been diging in the trash I've found Some Cool Ass stuff in the trash, working tv's,microwaves,a hunting bow (as in Bow and arrow)

wood,ton's of stuff man I love It!!

silly question... but are you putting in pots? would be a shame to spoil that design with some nasty plastic jobbies. what about something alternative for knobs? someone mentioned rivvets earlier on...

No man It's A good Question, Hum I dont know I could do something New with it

Maybe slder things? :D

!!MWTAL MATT!! :D

that wicked design deserves something different. why not just do without? my annihilator rocks without pots. and id definitly say you get the "11" effect by leaving them out. just a thought!

No man It's A good Question, Hum I dont know I could do something New with it

Maybe slder things? :D

How about something like the two in front: pic

The picture is from Ruokangas Guitars, a Finnish company (I took a copy to avoid hotlinking). But I'm sure there's something similar available wherever you live..

COOL I love That Spiked wheel one :D I want That one For My brutalizer V!!

Where on that site Did you find them? I've never seen anythiny thing like that around hear!

COOL I love That Spiked wheel one :D I want That one For My brutalizer V!!

Where on that site Did you find them? I've never seen anythiny thing like that around hear!

Uh.. Actually I can't find them on the .com site.. Go to http://www.ruokangas.fi, click on Tarvikkeet (Accessories), then either scroll down for the pic, or click Tarvikehinnasto (Accessories price list). The handmade bronze knobs seem to be pretty expensive, 50€/piece :D

You could also try to contact their New York shop,

NEW YORK

Ruokangas Guitars USA

134 Dearborn Ave, Rye, New York 10580

Tel. (1) 914 316 2414

E-mail eero.kilpi@ruokangas.com

(And no, I'm not in any way affiliated with them.. I wish B))

...and while you're at it, check out the insane inlay work on the Kalevala-themed guitar. That's not a painting, that's really all inlays. You can really see it on the build process page.

(sorry about hijacking :D)

Edited by WeeTee