My Buddies Guitar In Progress

Hey, i thought i would share my buddies guitar process, i have been helping him out, the wood he is using is, as followed in laminates:

Ash

Butternut

Ash

He is going to have a maple neck with maple fingerboard, 22 fret, twin humbu8cking TOM equipped screaming demon.

No pics yet, if the camera finally charges up (i use it WAY too much) i will take some pictures of it tommorow at school

Any suggestions on pickups?? He wants to play ACDC, Metallica, Zeppelin, that kinda stuff, i am recomending bill lawerence, kent armstrong, or Seymour Duncans, he also needs cheap pickups, LOL

Curtis

I'm curious as to why he has the headstock cut out but no neck? won't that make it a bit difficult to make the neck? or is the headstock cut out just for fun? :D

SWEEEET It's realy got that neal moser look to it I think http://www.nealmoser.com/mcsguitarindex.htm

any color would work with that design as lone as it BLACK :D for pickups man I would go with EMG's or Seymour Duncans maybe the invader and the screaming demon

man I really hope your going to do a huge blade edge on that thing!!

you would need a Chamfer Bit!

and one more thing is that the headstock design your useing or is that a temp plate?

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

good..

i think headstock is not enable to joint to neck.. and need hard hand sending ^^

my favorit pickup is Duncan JB & 59 ... and tunometic brige system.. ^^

good body sahpe.. and clean work.. ^^

its the template, rough cut

Matt, since the edges are ash, he is going to airbrush them in black (and yes, they will be beveled) and then have the centre in a bloody red stain, he really likes that grain!!

I helped him extensively so far in the guitar, I am not sure what he will be using for pickups, but since he is on a tight budget, they wont be anything top notch, plus he needs to learn how to play guitar too!! LOL

Curtis

edit, i am realy digging that Ba$tard V, that is one SICK guitar

Curtis

Matt, since the edges are ash, he is going to airbrush them in black (and yes, they will be beveled) and then have the centre in a bloody red stain, he really likes that grain!!

Man as long as I see some black on that thing Iam happy :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

my mom always wanted me to become a cyropractor, maybe now's a good time :D haha. the guitar looks really wicked but man is that 5 inches thick? how heavy is that thing? good luck pulling a pete townsend trying to smash that thing. :D

-Jamie

thanks for the replies, and whats wrong with spice racks and trinket boxes?? LOL

I am helping him on the neck, he wants to just go 22 fret, maple neck with butterntu headstock veneer, should look pretty swank,

The weight of it right now (at 1 and 15/16 of an inch) is 11 pounds, he will be shaving it down to about 1 and 5/8 or 1 and 3/4 or an inch, so its going to be about an 8 pound guitar, but, hes a hardcore farmer, and he is tough as nails, so i dont think a little bit of weight around his shoulder will hurt him :D

Curtis

thanks for the replies, and whats wrong with spice racks and trinket boxes?? LOL

I am helping him on the neck, he wants to just go 22 fret, maple neck with butterntu headstock veneer, should look pretty swank,

The weight of it right now (at 1 and 15/16 of an inch) is 11 pounds, he will be shaving it down to about 1 and 5/8 or 1 and 3/4 or an inch, so its going to be about an 8 pound guitar, but, hes a hardcore farmer, and he is tough as nails, so i dont think a little bit of weight around his shoulder will hurt him :D

Curtis

That's what a lot of people think until they're 28 and look like the Hunch Back of Notre Dame.

EMG 81's, all the way. lol. Actually, I wonder how a set of Bill Lawrence L-500s might sound in that thing, or perhaps a DiMarzio X2N. The X2N will likely sound like crap with a floating tremolo, but if it's going to be a hardtail, it may be an option. Also, if he wants to give that guitar a serious case of split personalities, a DiMarzio PAF in the neck will give it a silky smooth blues tone you wouldn't believe. I'm addicted to the "Virtual" PAF pickups myself. Or, if he wants the active route, the EMG-ZW set (81 in the bridge, 85 in the neck) always works. Otherwise maybe a 60 in the neck... Depending on how obsessed he is with replicating Metallica's tone.

But yeah, if it were me, I'd probably go with a pair of EMG 81's. Can't say I'm too versed in Seymour Duncans, IMHO. :D Just my two cents.