How Do You Slot A Nut

ok so like I could buy all the files that are the  right width from stew mac but it would be like $70 for all the files.  Is there a easy way to slot a nut and get the slots the correct width?

Well something I have done way back in the past when I did not know A whole lot about what I was doing was I use to use different sized jigsaw blades for cuting the slots by hand! BUT BY NO MEANS do I think this is the best way to do it you would be better off to buy some inexpensive files and do it the right way! :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

stewmac also sells a set of nut saws in varying widths. i've used them sucessfully for several years now and they're less expensive than the files.

Guitar string wire saw. For the wound strings, if you can get a "starter" slot done with a thin blade or something, you can then go over it with an old guitar string. I do this right at the end, but it appears to remove enough bone that you could probably widen an entire slot that way if you've trimmed the nut blank properly.

Just be careful to angle the string it so that the highest point of the slots are on one side of the nut; you don't want your scale length to start in the middle of the slot.

Take some feeler guage set and serrate the edges so that it will cut, you can get by with those for a while and whatever size is printed on them is what size hole you will slot

Guitar string wire saw. 

I combine those two. I use the feeler gauge saws to get it real close, then finish it off with strings. One day I'll pay for nut files, but I'm gettin by just fine so far.

For bass nuts, it's easy. You can cut a bass nut with inexpensive diamond files, which cost AUD$12 (US$ is slightly above half that amount at this time). Get a packet of small diamond files, which contain

- thin flat file with tapered edges to do the initial cut

- thin round file that tapers at the end to do the remaining filing. For thin strings use the end (thinner part) of the file and move towards the thicker part for the thicker strings

I haven't found any fret files here unless I order them internationally, so this is what I use (I've cut bone and graphite compound nuts with diamond files) and it works really well. Note: Some care must be taken when using the round tapered file to avoid over sizing the slot. But if the nut is approapriately marked, this won't be a problem.

If you don't know what they look like, have a look at this page which contains two excellent images that are large enough to see each file

http://www.sunva.cn/Diamondfiles-07.htm

Regards,

Michael

Edited by mkat

I am going to try(when my ebay items sells, so i have the money) what Dan Erlewine suggests in his book, How To Make You Electric Guitar Play Great(p.30), and buy one .012" saw and then .016", .024", and .036" files. From stewmac it costs around 50 with shipping. Unless there is another site that sells files and saws, it might be cheaper.

Edited by Pex657