Hot Rod Flames

I think this has been asked on here...maybe even by me, but I can't find the thread so forgive me if this is a double post.

I'm looking for a "template" of the classic hot-rod style flames.  Anyone know where I could find something like this?

If you know anyone that airbrushes, they could show you how to use a friskit.. basically a stick on stencil that you cut whatever shape out of you want and start spraying.. You can find flame pictures everywhere, you could just trace onto the friskit, cut it out, place it and spray your guitar..

Sometimes it's just handy giving him directly the right links, don't ya think????

Method 1

Method 2

Personally I prefer method 2. With this method you don't have to cut into your freshly painted base coat. And you need steady hand to cut straight while going in curves.

Better is to practise drawing flames on piece of paper the size of your guitar body while looking at some great custom bike and car designs.

When happy with the results, buy some really narrow 3M masking tape (blue or green) and start practising curving the tape in right shape. It's actually much easier than it looks.......Mask rest of guitar and you're ready for painting.

Edited by RGGR

Be bold. Scan the stuff you like. Blow it up Print it. Trace it onto tracing paper. Get a french curve at an art store to help clean up the lines.Cut it out. Buy stencil material at your local craft shop and have at it. Cooler than what a commercail artist will do for mass consumption, and dirt cheap.

I asked one of my redneck friends who is even older than me how he did his flamed Nova when we were in high school. "Made stencils out of manila folders, put rubber cement ont the back and used spray cans." He did a fishscale job on his sisters VW beetle that shaded through the rainbow that same year using the same high tech system. Way cool. He said the paper stencils are easier than the stencil material, but you do have to do the lining with a "dagger striper" brush and that takes a steady hand.

There is a gaget that helps cut curves. It's an exacto knife that has a swivel on the head. Art stores sell 'em.