Metal Matt Is Rubbing Off On Me

OK, Metal matt. that Impaler design is so striking, and I think its rubbed off on me. Ive been trying to design a V shape for ages and now it seems that i cant do anything without that scalloped edge!

vengence.jpg

I call this the Vengence V - for no reason other than it sounds mean and evil! Im not 100% about this design yet. The point where the wings of the V meet is bugging me. Its more streamlined than a normal rhodes and quite long. I doubt its gonna turn out this long and the neck isnt to scale either, but I wanted to get something posted to show how Matts design has infulenced me.

Yes, that headstock is the one i posted for the impaler. I quite like it. Its quite long tho. perhaps i need to revisit it and design something more fitting to this design.

I would probably look at doin the neck out of Hondurian Rosewood (5 peice grain aligned laminate) cos i hear its rock hard and totally stable, with an ebony board. one custom inlay at the 7th fret (my trademark of sorts) and the body out of Ash or Alder. Ill probably going to go for a Matt Black finish with black hardware. Reverse or side mounted jack socket, one pickup with a single volume pot only. A Hipshot bridge or a TOM with strings through body for simplicity.

So, opinions anyone?

Yeah I understand what you mean about the tuner holes. its not the finished design by a long shot. Same with the "tilt back head" as you call it. Doug from black Machine guitars will be heloing me with a lot of the construction so i have no worries there.

I hadnt even started thinking about cases!!!! Good point about the King V shape, but I will probably end up going overboard on this one as its my first real build. I will probably end up building a case for this since its shape will probably be that bit longer than a rhodes.

Edited by Digideus

Man I like it I'm glad that my IMPALER is so inspiring but I think you would be alot better off design wize if you did it like a flying-v I really like the line's on the top half if you duplicated them on the botom half I think you would have one

DEADLY IMPLEMENT OF DEATH!!

Have you ever thought about doing A 7-string?? :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Too skinny for my taste, looks like a twig. My 2 cents.

Haha, I hope it doesnt end up like a twig! I was aiming for something between the jackson rhodes and neil Moser's Bastard V which is REALLY skinny!

Have you ever thought about doing A 7-string??

Not really mate, This is gonna be my first build. Ive done loads of mods on guitars and had a V built for me in the past but ive never had a complusion to own a 7 string. as long as i can plug it and make evil noises with it, that will suit me.

I like it, maby you shoud vary the size and depth of the scalops on the top wing, I think it would make it look better.

Thats a good point. looking at it now, it looks a bit too haphazzard. Matts impaler works because the scallops arent too overbearing. I love the shape of those scallops, but i will revisit it in the next few days and do a redesign.

On a side note, RIP Tommy Vance - died this morning in hospital after having a stroke three days ago :D

Thats a good point. looking at it now, it looks a bit too haphazzard. Matts impaler works because the scallops arent too overbearing. I love the shape of those scallops, but i will revisit it in the next few days and do a redesign.

Man I was going to do exactly what you did on your design To the IMPALER

I stoped my self because when I looked at it the design looked cool but I really wanted to keep the expoler style and lines but with my twist added in, and now the guitars design came out realy strong!

but I REALY do think that if you where to use the lines that you have on the top half of your design and did a flying-V it would be cool!

ok, i *think* i may have nailed it.

vengence%202.jpg

I think the mock up i did was so out of scale it looked too big, hence the scaling problems. I made the thing slightly more balenced and tidied up the body lines, plus i addressed that bit where the wings of the v meet. I think this looks more together and im happier with the overal look of it now.

Look any better to you?

not really an update, but ive been busy doing a vector drawing of the design so i can print it up full size.

vengence3.jpg

This one shows the *BASIC* layout. Its not to scale, but more for a sence of balence. The red bits on the body is where I edited the shape slightly to get a more banenced symmetry. I want those points on the end of the wings to really look deadly! I made the neck slimmer as well cos it was well out on my previous drawings and sould have been about 4 inches thich at the neck pocket!!!

I do have some questions if any of you feel like giving me some input...

first, the neck pocket! I am going to base the neck on a BC Rich warlock neck I have with 24 frets. The last fret overhangs the neck pocket. Im going to try and build a neck without an overhang and leave enough wood to carve away the heel so its more smooth on the back. I will either need to leave extra wood on the back of he neck pocket to i can do this or offset the bolts for the neck so I can carve the shape. any advice in this area?

Second, Im curious about the TOM bridge being recessed. Maiden posted some nice pics of a guitar he did in another thread here (this is drop dead gorgeous by the way!) that shows a recessed TOM bridge, I assume to get around the 3 degree neck tilt angle. How deep should this recess be?

ive also seen some comments about the playability of the strings being so close to the body. As I see it, I either do a neck tilt (which im thinking will be harder) or I recess the bridge, which will be quite a nice trick with black hardware and matt black finish.

I was considering using Steinberg tuners as well. I think they look really trick and wouldnt clutter the headstock with tuners, plus I could mount them anywhere on the back of the headstock and help keep the strings straight.

Since its my first build, I will probably do whichever is easier but for future, I will want to do it properly.

next step is to buy some wood!

wow....

at first i wasnt sure... but now... i love it, its mean as hell and i think i going to pinch that picture as im designing a flying V of my own and those curves will be very handy for ideas.

the headstock is really growing on me too.

Ya I like that way better man it looks more like a guitar now that all the black is gone :D And that headstock is looking good man ya know you should use the same tuners that godin used on his guitar that way you wount run in to any problems with that wild headstock! http://sorberawebdesign.com/07170649.jpg

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=15056

so what are your plans for wood??

Ash body, perhaps with a centre of black walnut. Not sure about the neck yet. I was thinking about Mahogany and maybe honduran rosewood with ebony strips between as a 5 part laminate. Definately an ebony fingerboard just to ass to the EEEEEEEEEVIL look! :D

I will DEFINATELY use those tuner like Godin did. They look really trick and the lack of tuners cluttering the lines of the headstock means I can add some sharp edges to it. DEATH TO SMALL FURRY THINGS AND BASS PLAYERS \m/

As with all things, I need to do some research on materials before i commit myself. Im loving this tho! the whole process is so much fun! I should have started ages ago!

Edited by Digideus

death to bass players eh? i thought this was the perfect thread till i read that.... :D Im jk. but yeah i love the guitar. it looks sweet. those keyless tuners are cool too. dunno how it would look in the long run tho. ud have to do a mock up.. did u ever see the bc rich guitars with no tuners at all? they were ugly.. but yeah if it lets u keep the headstock shape, go for it. that things sweet

death to bass players eh? i thought this was the perfect thread till i read that....

Oops, sorry dude. I have nothing against bass players actually. What I meant was that if i was on stage, I could easily kill my bass player with this thing! The slightest slip while he is headbanging and thats it, his head is impaled on my headstock and leaking brain juice all down my fretboard!

Those keyless tuners are cool too. dunno how it would look in the long run tho. ud have to do a mock up.. did u ever see the bc rich guitars with no tuners at all? they were ugly

you mean the speedloader models? I agree, they look like there is something wrong with them, but I think that its a fundimental error in the design. The headstocks were just there and didnt have anything on them, no strings, no tuners, nothing!. I think the eye expects there to be something there. the lack of pegs, strings and the shape of the widow headstock dont lend themselves to the idea of no tuners. Maybe its just me, but i have my warlock here next to me and i cant imagine it without strings and tuners on the headstock.

I am toying with a new design that has no headstock. it uses a speedloader type bridge and those stienberger type tuners at the body end of the guitar. like the Neil Moser BC Rich Bich designs with bass tuners, but more evil! :D

Edited by Digideus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So Digideus any news on this one man how's she comeing?? :D