Metal Flake And Rattle Cans

jimmylp

I dont know but im sure ive read someone elses post that says no, because the flakes are too big to fit threw the nossle of the cap or not enough pressure? something like that, not sure of the reason but im pretty sure its a no, could be wrong though

It does exist, but the metal flakes aren't anything particularly special. While waiting for my nitro to clear, my brother has asked me to paint his guitar for him. I'm using a light green w/metal flake from Canadian Tire -- MotoMaster Nearmatch auto paint. The flakes in the paint appear to be something akin to craft sparkles.

I don't know if it's because of the metal flake in the paint, or if there is a larger spray nozzle needed to accomodate the flake but it is really easy to over spray and get massive drips. :D

I did three guitars using metal flake in cans (black, blue and purple) and had no problems. You have to keep the can shook up so the flake doesn't drop to the bottom, move wuick so you don't get spots with flake and spots without and clear the nozzle often by turning the can upside down and spraying it until it's clear. i kept two nozzles handy. After spraying for 2 minutes or so with one it would start to sputter so I pulled it, dropped it in a shot glass full of thinner and sprayed with a fresh nozzle. I repeated this until the guitar was done.

When you are done with the metal flake DO NOT TOUCH the finish even after it is dry!!! You will knock the flake off and have spots. Cover the guitar with a clear finish that is compatible with the metal flake paint. I used nitro since my flake was solvent based.

Here's a link:

Purple P Bass

Not a great pic but it shows it can be done with patience......

I must interject, you can get rattle cans with metallic paint, this is NOT the same as metalflake. Metalflake is large and must be sprayed through at least a 1.4mm tip in a gun. Metallic is small particles that give you that shimmer. Many companies make metallic, but you will not get a metal flake in a spray can.

• 1 month later...

I am not a professional but I like the metal flake effect so I asked some friends of mine about how they do it. They, of course, are into car painting. :D

They mix acryllic automotive paint with another liquid and that's all.

Maybe this is just one way to go but it doesn't involve any hard parts or real metal flakes. Just this liquid that does the effect.

I believe that the mixture could be used with a spray can too because it's just liquid and there are no hard pieces in it. Hope that there are companies that produce such spray cans.

I am not a professional but I like the metal flake effect so I asked some friends of mine about how they do it. They, of course, are into car painting. :D

Maybe this is just one way to go but it doesn't involve any hard parts or real metal flakes. Just this liquid that does the effect.

I believe that the mixture could be used with a spray can too because it's just liquid and there are no hard pieces in it. Hope that there are companies that produce such spray cans.

You need to tell your frien to stop telling you lies!!!

The process you are talking about is to mix the clear, you take the poly clear and mix the hardener(catalyst) for it to cure. The flakes are actualy metal, pearl, micca particles added to the clear and in some cases you need a stirrer bowl to keep the flakes at a consistent level while you are spraying, because they tend to fall to the bottom of the can if you take too long to shot.

This is common knowledge on Car PAinters, so I don't know what kind of car painter your friend is.

http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/howto/...ake/index2.html

show this link to your friend, maybe he needs to learn a little bit.

You need to tell your frien to stop telling you lies!!!

The process you are talking about is to mix the clear, you take the poly clear and mix the hardener(catalyst) for it to cure. The flakes are actualy metal, pearl, micca particles added to the clear and in some cases you need a stirrer bowl to keep the flakes at a consistent level while you are spraying, because they tend to fall to the bottom of the can if you take too long to shot.

This is common knowledge on Car PAinters, so I don't know what kind of car painter your friend is.

http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/howto/...ake/index2.html

show this link to your friend, maybe he needs to learn a little bit.

Well, actually he showed me some samples and he told me that all he used on them was paint and that liqud that looks like mercury.

I don't think he's lying. Can't see the point - I have grown toghether with that guy and I know that he never lies.

But I'm just too lame in the world of painting, maybe I've misunderstood some part of the whole stuff...

• 1 month later...
...he told me that all he used on them was paint and that liqud that looks like mercury...
Find out specifically what product(s) he's using - I suspect that he's either confused (about what metalflake is), or he's confused you about what he's doing, but if not, this could revolutionize the way we paint. Liquid metalflake - I can't imagine not having to use a huge fiddly tip, not having to worry about getting the flake to lie flat, not finding flake residue for months after shooting it, even after a thorough cleanup. Yeah, I could live with that! :D