Friend's Customized Guitar

http://www.geocities.com/mextweak/guitarWHITEY.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/mextweak/newguard2.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/mextweak/guitarmods2.JPG

This is my friend's Ibanez RG 7620 that he decked out to his liking. He's kind of an odd guy, but creative and intelligent (I don't know about bright sometimes LOL). This guitar consists of a duct tape and electrical tape finish (covering up a Charcoal Gray paint job with some good dings in it), a plexiglass pickguard he that he cut with a hacksaw of some sort and painted the back to get the color. He removed the neck pickup and replaced the bridge pickup with a green DiMarzio Evolution he picked up off of E-Bay, completely because of looks, it still sounds stock. He also did the EVH thing and kept it simple by having nothing but a volume knob. He makes good use of it by making swell effects sometimes. He also wrote a bunch of screwed up sayings on it, such as "Satan needs a soda." Of course, rounding out the package is his lucky guitar strap that he rescued from a dumpster, which has coffee stains on it and smells like pot smoke. (not from him) The fingerboard on this thing looks pretty nasty, as he never oils it and he has unusually acidic oils in his skin, and of course he only changes strings 2 or 3 times a year. After a while it becomes good for building up calluses! LOL

Well, aside from it having a very grungy look and basically being unsanitary, I think it looks pretty neat and he expressed himself. Of course, his dreadlocks got infested by a mold a few months ago, requiring a pretty good hair cut, and last week he pierced his lip himself, and it doesn't exactly look like he used a sterile needle. :D Heck, I just had to repierce my ear and it only took me five minutes before school to sterilize, pierce, and put my hoop in! Well, at least it wasn't his tounge! :D

Tell me what you guys think, I'll let him know your compliments. I think we might have a Guitar of the Month on our hands! Guess we'll have to wait and see at the beginning of the month, won't we?

I think other than the "Bondo Closet Guitar" that appeared a few months ago, that's gotta be the worst thing I've ever seen on this site. Props for making his own pickguard and simplifying the electronics, but the whole duct/electrical tape thing is just too trashy for words. I think if he crapped a deuce on the guitar and smeared it around, it might actually look better.

Please don't do that. I was only kidding.

It DOES remind me of the ridiculous Ibanez Noodles Talman with the duct tape finish. While I'm probably the only person in the free world that actually liked the Talman guitars, the whole duct tape thing just ruins it for me.

I saw this one guy with a ductape finish that turned out VERY well. So well that I want one :D It was so you coldent see the ends (mabye they were all on the back?) and it also had black stickers and writing that looked real cool with the silver duct tape. I think he may have shot it with some silver paint as it was VERY shiny. It looked awesome :D

Edited by Godin SD

Hmm... not my kinda thing... I like the concept of a duct tape finish, but not like that. I've done a noodles kinda finish too, and I'm happy with the result

8257101.jpg

That was much more pleasing :D

Ditto. I think the L500's make it look pretty cool, too!

Hmm... not my kinda thing... I like the concept of a duct tape finish, but not like that. I've done a noodles kinda finish too, and I'm happy with the result

8257101.jpg

yeah, that is pretty cool. I was thinking of doing a duct tape finish on my warlock, but to be a little diffrent i was thinking about doing it in the regular grey duct tape first, and then doing some kind of design in colored duct tape