The Convertible

If it's any consoulation, your woodworking mistakes don't seem to be visable on the outside of the guitar. I just hope there's enough wood there for the bridge to be strong enough! Keep it up! I honestly wonder what Mr. Diddley would think of your guitars! :D

I gotta say this.....I am very impressed with you in being able to not only admit them and bring them out on an open forum, but you are also able to work around them and make the whole idea work. Not a lot of folks could or would do that. You're helping a lot of others learn in the process whether you realize it or not......good stuff!

Keep it up! Your ideas and designs a great!

BTW I just noticed you're from France (?) Why did I think you were from Tennessee or Kentucky?? :D I take it you're from the States originally?

Wow, what a project! While everyone's out trying to make curvy guitars with sexy lines, you pull this one right out of left field! And I meant that in a good way... it takes a very particular kind of person to go ahead and do a copy of such a guitar-- the kind of person I have to admire!

you have to thank GregP for giving me the courage to post this--because his thread is amazing in its honesty, and he's helped me avoid a lot of mistakes too. And then Godin threw down a challenge...And yeah, I'm not from France, I'm American, from Chicago...and I don't back down from a challenge...(waiting for Godin to post his own progress pics--I know he's working on something right now!)

Glad to hear my trials and tribulations have been helpful to someone. :D Really, honesty is easier for me than trying to make it seem like I have a clue. I'd rather say, "whoops, screwed that one up" and be able to keep an accurate record of how it went. It'll mean more to me some day. :D

I like the honesty in THIS thread! It made it read like an interesting story. It was funny how you went from Mistake #X to Mistake #Y. HOWEVER, judging by what I see here, you could have easily also narrated it by going from Success #X to Success #Y. Good work, and a hell of an interesting project so far.

Greg

Good work Idch! I think its great how people post their mistakes and not cover them up. Its a learning curve for the rest of us, and it shows we aren't all pros on this forum =D

Hey thanks...that's one of the things that impressed me most about this forum when I started hanging here a few months back, there are lots of people showing how it's done (and how NOT to do it too!)

C :D ool name...Thoughtless 7...that the name of your band?

Meantime, I've got a cool idea that'll take care of the issues with the neck pocket, the sound hole AND the bad glue line...heh heh... :D

Good work Idch! I think its great how people post their mistakes and not cover them up. Its a learning curve for the rest of us, and it shows we aren't all pros on this forum =D

Hey thanks...that's one of the things that impressed me most about this forum when I started hanging here a few months back, there are lots of people showing how it's done (and how NOT to do it too!)

C :D ool name...Thoughtless 7...that the name of your band?

Meantime, I've got a cool idea that'll take care of the issues with the neck pocket, the sound hole AND the bad glue line...heh heh... :D

The man i used to work for told me that "In the mistakes we make, we usually find out how to fix them better and quicker than before" So, i guess making mistakes is good for the ol' learning curve.

I can't actually remember where Thoughtless 7 came from atually...lol o_O

I have to ask this...Where did the concept of making square guitars come from?

idch, which type of "old style tremelo" were you planning to put on there?

Ie, a bigsby? like this?

They have more inexpensive versions of this out there (without the BIGSBY stamped on them to add $50 or $100)

In which case, if you used one of these the tailpiece itself would be mounted on the solid part of the bottom end of your guitar, and (not quite sure where that extra hole was drilled) but if you're lucky, it will be right about where you need to put your unattached bridge.

All in all, I suppose what I mean to say is: If you're planning to use this kind of bridge/tailpiece tremelo for your guitar, your top is plenty thick enough to support the weight of a bending trem. (After all, they are used on archtops which are also only a few mm's thick.

• 1 month later...