Mdf Templates?

I have a load of old MDf that I can use for making templates. there's a bit of mold on it but not to bad.

Is MDF any good for making templates? does it warp easily? I would want my templates to last a while. Just wondering cause I am home for easter and don't have much time. The timber yard is closed for easter so I can't get any plywood.

thanks

MDF is the preferd material to make templates out of. Just talk to any old wood worker and they will tell you. It's doesent warp easily and because it's made from very fine dust you can finish the edge to be very smooth and perfectly round. Perfect for those router bit berings to ride on. Not something so easily done with ply wood. So ya use it...

MDF is great for making templates. like Godin SD said, you can get a great smooth edge. MDF also doesn't have voids or seams between layers like plywood can, so you won't have them messing up your edge. i use 1/2" MDF for most of my templates and 3/4" for ones that only require a shallow rout in the guitar -- like the recess for a control cavity plate. with a taller template, i don't need to put shims between the template and the guitar when i only want to rout a shallow depth.

the only drawbacks are that you can't see through it, like acrylic, and it makes an assload of insanely fine dust when you rout or saw it. dust collection and/or a mask recommended, or your boogers will be dusty and tan-colored for the next day or so. i make my original templates on MDF and then copy them to acrylic for work where i need to see through them.

Yeah, you do NOT want to breathe MDF dust. Or any dust for that matter..

It's insanely easy to work though and butter smooth on the edges. It's also very cheap so I would recomment making 2 templates.. And if you wear one out, take the saved one and make a new template from it so you always have a perfect original. Eventually you'll wear the edges of MDF out.. it's only paper after all :D

I do my shape prototyping on MDF.. then when it's where I like it, i just use it to crank out the final template.

Considering how cheap MDF is, I would just go and buy a new sheet if yours has been sitting around for a while (mold?). Also, MDF is easy to work, but it is not the most durable. It dents pretty easy if you bang it into somthing. This is especially a problem with neck and body templates. If you really want durable templates, make one out of MDF that is perfect and then copy it onto a more stable material with a template bit. I have MDF templates that I am getting ready to transfer onto 1/2" acrylic.

I don't know where you guys are getting your MDF.

Yes, it makes awesome templates, but I wouldn't call it "cheap". :D Not so cheap that you can just waste a tonne of it.

Greg

I can't remember, but I got a sheet that was about that size, and I remember thinking, "Jayzuz!" I believe it's 1/2", too. Something like $20 CDN if I'm remembering right.

Greg

I get a 4 x 8 ft sheet of 1/2" MDF for about £15. I got a computer desk out of it and have loads of space left to make several neck templates and a body template.

It turns out the MDF I have isn't too bad. The mold just brushed off and the board seems in fair enough condition.