Pickup Covers For Seymour Duncan

Crackerman

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and had a couple of questions I hope you can help me with. First off I'm a definate beginner when it comes to working on guitars, I've got an Epiphone G400 SG and am swithing the factory pickups out. I stopped by Sam Ash to get new ones and on recomendation from the salesman I picked out two Semour Duncan's a Model 59 for the bridge and a JB for the neck, is this going to be a good setup for hard/classic/grunge rock? I was hoping I would be able to use the original pickup covers since my new ones are coverless but they don't fit correctly. What I really need to know is, is it possible to find replacement covers and what do I need to do to install them, I noticed that my old pickups were wax coated is this necessary?

59' for bridge and jb for beck?  Are you sure?  usually it's a JB in the bridge with a 59' int the neck.  I dont even think they make a JB for the neck :D

using a normal spaced JB in the neck is pretty nice for cleans! The 59 is more of a gritty sound to it though. A Duncan Custom would match up better with the JB output wise and still kind of have that same sound to it.

BTW, regardless of what anyone has said, DC resistance is NOT a good reference for determining output.

The JB is designed for the bridge and the '59 for the neck. You may be able to switch out the pickups for ones with covers but you'll probably have to pay a little extra for the covered units.

As far as using the setup for rock, Dave Mustaine seems to do pretty well with that setup.

Certainly he must have meant a JB in the bridge and a 59 in the neck.

SD pickup covers are available, and not too difficult to install.

The covers do not need to be potted, but it is best to to apply 1 layer of electrical tape to the tops of the bobbins where the cover comes in contact with them. This will eliminate any feedback causing vibration.

Hi!

I intend to add nickel covers to the current JB and Jazz SD that make my Ravelle Fernandes Grooowl. B)

I've tried to find out what was the exact pole spacing from both pickups, and found out they were approx. 49mm.

I've been finally advised to buy genuine Seymour covers for a perfect match. But the problem is ... I LIVE IN FRANCE. (and I did not found any US seller who ship to france, nor french seller who sells Seymour covers) :D

So as I looked on the link given here by noplugsjustinfo, I've read that the seymour JB and jazz had 'traditional' pole spacing.

What means traditional?

is it 1-15/16" (as the gibson neck PAF ?)

As I've been told that Gibson pole spacing on bridge PAF is 2"..

Btw, my master luthier here told me he got "49,2mm" pole spaced covers. Will it definitely fit or not?

Thanks for your help! :D

• 2 years later...
Certainly he must have meant a JB in the bridge and a 59 in the neck.

SD pickup covers are available, and not too difficult to install.

The covers do not need to be potted, but it is best to to apply 1 layer of electrical tape to the tops of the bobbins where the cover comes in contact with them. This will eliminate any feedback causing vibration.

how exactly is this done. just over the pole pieces and not the screws that you move up outside of the cover?