Truss rod

Hi Guys,

I think I need a little help.

My first guitar is almost working, BUT I can't get the truss rod to work.

I never adjusted a truss rod before so I don't know what to look for.

I have another guitar (Gibson) but he plays absolute fine so I don't want to mess with it.

It is a bought ESP neck. Fender style. So the adjusting screw is at the bottom. I glued the neck in and left enough place to turn the screw.

Now I've got the strings attached and wanted to check the neck. The funny thing is that I believe it is ok now. Maybe I'm lucky.

But the screw is not tightened. In other words, I can almost turn the screw by hand.

When I turn it clockwise it should stretch the truss rod and bow the neck a little.

Nothing happens.

When the screw is almost flat with the surface of the neck it stops turning.

Should I try to turn it a little further?

I don't know how hard I should try because I don't wanna break the truss rod or wreck the adjusting screw.

In another thread I read about two way adjustable truss rods.

Is this a good idea for my next project?

I hope somebody can give me a hint

Thanx,

Gerard

yes, make sure you have the right size allen key and put some muscle into it, bending wood with a rod isn't like turning a light on it takes quite a bit of force from my experiences, and yes, double truss rods are always a good idea unless you're **** about having a guitar that weight's less then a pound or 2...

If the neck seems OK don't mess with it. If you do need to play, a single action rod can only add backbow to a neck. The rod has to work pretty hard to alter the curvature of the neck, and as Wes says (heh... Rhymes :D )it can take a few days to settle into it's new profile.

It is often a good idea to introduce the curve you want to the neck by carefull clamping with carefully placed shims on a flat surfaced. Once the curve is as it needs to be, you can tighten the rod to retain the curve. This elliminates a lot of the stress on the rod which could cause the nut (or god forbid the threaded rod) to strip out.