Vai's Tone And Cleanness

Matt

Ok i have a VOX ADVT30 and my guitar that has a bareknuckle miricle man in (pretty bloody hot). could someone help me in my setup?

The Amp has a number of modelled amps (that it does very well) and has effects on it such as compression, reverb, autowah etc it also has a noise gate on it as well.

How is it possible to get the screaming lead tone that he gets that sounds really clean and not fuzzy and noisey, while still having the definitio to get great harmonics and to sound good when tapping?

Is it a combo between using the comp and the noisegate or what?

sorry its a pretty basic question and i know alot is to do with his huge talent, but theres gotta be a few tips that i could try.

Also if theres any specific equipment he uses that i could buy (or a less expesive option) then that would be great. Thanks guys

He uses Boss DS-1 and a ibanez tube screamer trough carvin amps

vai uses his neck pickup alot for leads! wich gives a more mellow sound good for legato's and tapping and that defines his sound! That + lotsa gain + delay will get you close!

I Hope this helps :D

Edited by ikke_998

Haven't seen an amp simulator yet that does a 'Carvin' sound. Of the 'standard' guitar amps, which sound would be the closest?

(standard being the various Fender, Boogie, Marshall, and Vox amps)

Greg