Addint wood to a neck?

I might end up getting an Ibanez neck for the body that I'm building. Now, I've played a few Ibanezes at the local music shop, and I've played my friends Ibanez, and the necks feel to thin for my taste. I like necks at least as thick as Jacksons, but preferably up to standard Strat thickness. So, I'm wondering, is it possible to strip the finnish of the back of the neck, glue on a piece of wood, and shape it to my liking, or is it likely that I would run into any problems if I try? Any thoughts or ideas on how make a neck thicker are more than welcome.

Hi,

Personally, I would think it easier, faster, cheaper, and more reliable to have a neck custom made from scratch. And I would take a measuring device to the necks you like, because I think that you will find the difference in thickness is less than you think.

Guitar Ed

"Opinions worth what you pay for them. Nothing"

glueing some wood well to the back of the neck is going to be pretty fun.... i doubt it would work at all, why not just get the neck you want in the first place instead of getting an ibanez neck you know you don't like and trying to turn it into something else you could just buy?

Why would it not work?

The reason I might get a neck I know I won't like is that I've had a really hard time finding necks I like, and I'm pretty low on money. I could of course wait for a good neck to come by, but I need to finnish the body the neck is going to sit on quite soon, and I don't want to restrict my choice of neck by finnishing the body with a certain type of neck pocket.

dude just make your own neck! is not that difficult, and yo u can make it to what ever you want. it would probably run you about 40$ at you local wood supplier.for maple. just take your time and read up on tutorials. i was kinda scared on the first one that i made but it turned out excactly the way i wanted it to feel and im happy with it. you dont need many tools either. jig saw or band saw, jack plane, assorted files, and i used one of them wood rasos you get from depot or lows thier only like 6$ they work really well! and if your comfortable with wood working tools you can try a draw knife but they can be pretty tricky. good luck

hmmm that's a good point john, i was thinking he was going to add the wood the the back of the neck which would be a near impossible task..... , adding it under the fretboard might work though, but then if you add to much you risk shaving off to much wood and runing into the truss rod channel on the back of the neck, and if you add to little you have to iron off the fretboard again, and add another peice of wood, then put the whole thing backtogether and reshape a bit more still keeping in mind that you don't want to take off to much from the center cause of the truss rod challen, but... if it's a thin neck then you might not be doing anything to the center just rounding the sides.... which might work.... hmm... all in all sounds like just as much work as building your own neck...

I think I know what I'm going to do now. I'll buy the neck (it comes with nut and tuners), and I'll finnish my body to work with that neck. Then, when I've got the time (yeah right), I'll build a neck from scratch, and use the tuners and nut from the Ibanez neck. And I'll sell the neck with no hardware on it. That'll give me a playable guitar pretty soon, and after a while I'll have a really nice playable guitar.

Uhm, I just thought about a problem with building a neck myself. Accuracy. I have (as far as I know) no means of measuring the distance from the nut to a certain fret with the accuracy needed. Considering that a tenth of a millimeter is a horribly big fault, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to try and make a neck. How would you measure these distances with the needed accuracy?

check out FretCalc... you enter the scale length, number of frets and not only does it give you the measurements, but you can also print out an actual-size template that you can (temporarily :D ) stick to your fingerboard while you score fret positions with a knife, prior to sawing the slots.

Good luck!

Dave

Seems like a nice program. However, I'm not quite sure if I like the idea of trusting a printer to be that accurate, but I guess I can allways (one or two "l"s in al(l)ways?) check against some of my other guitars. Thanks a lot for the help guys!