My First Inlay

Tim

inlaykoostesmall.jpg

Link to bigger picture.

Hi all,

The course I was building my first guitar on ended, so the construction will be taking a summer break. But since I got the inlay part almost finished, I wanted to share it with you.

Did the peghead first, last autumn, and just finished the fingerboard. Binding isn't leveled, and final polish is missing, but you can see how it's going to look.

Rose is 17 pieces, vine 63, logo 2, trussrod cover 1 :D Took like 70 hours in total, so I won't be doing another one anytime soon :D

I want to thank Project Guitar site for great tutorials for guitar building, and especially Craig for the inlay part, since it was his shark inlay tutorial that got me wanting to try inlaying B)

Hopefully I fit into the next semester of the instrument building course and get to show you the finished guitar sometime next autumn :D

//Timo

Awesome work, period. I wouldn't have known it's your first, second, or tenth if you hadn't said so. :D

Ojala - more or less "I hope" in Spanish, no?

Greg

Thanks all for the compliments :D

Yep, I'm from Finland. Ojala name comes from Pohjanmaa (western part of Finland).

At least now I'm thinking my next one will be much less complicated B) Since that one was so much work. But maybe time will make me forget that, and I'll be tempted to do something more. But at least my sawing was becoming faster toward the end, so next one probably wouldn't take the ~70 hours total that this one took :D

Thinking of trying a classical guitar after this one, so that wouldn't have any inlays. Only the rosette, which I may be tempted to do from scratch.

FYI, though, Ojala IS a word in Spanish, too!

:D

I'm not a native Spanish speaker, so without knowing your origin, I didn't want to presume to translate it in a way that you didn't intend it. But since I now know it's Finnish, I can say with at least a modicum of authority that it means to hope for something. I don't know its origin, and I'm not certain that it's natively Spanish. Could very well be an indigenous word. But I DO know that it was in very common usage in the area of Mexico in which I lived (Coahuila).

:D

Again, great inlay. I hope mine turns out half as well.

Pohjanmaa is Northern Land, damnit. It's supposed to be in the north, not west. :D

Ok, ok, enough of bragging with my Finnish skills.

Hyvä päivää to all... and stuff. :D

Any chance of seeing that sweet guitar of yours after it's done? Are you in a band? I'd love to come and see a gig.

----------

Jimbo

Any chance of seeing that sweet guitar of yours after it's done? Are you in a band?

Sure, I'll post pics when it's ready, but it probably won't be ready until end of the year. Not in a band I'm afraid. In fact the building of the guitar has made me play again after a long break, just to be able to play something cool with the guitar when it's finished :D

Ojala - more or less "I hope" in Spanish, no?

Didn't know that. Thanks for sharing that with me :D

Sure, I'll post pics when it's ready, but it probably won't be ready until end of the year. Not in a band I'm afraid. In fact the building of the guitar has made me play again after a long break, just to be able to play something cool with the guitar when it's finished

Wierd, whenever I get caught up in a project, I do everything except guitar playing. And the last few months have been full of projects. Amps repairs, guitars restorations, schoolwork, etc. I finally got some time today to just sit down and relax and noodle some nice tunes. Haven't had a band rehearsal in a long time also. We finally found a new singer and we're gonna start jamming with him on sundays. So I guess I'm back on track. A gig comin' up on the 4th June.

-------------

Jimbo