Guitar Rig

inoulose

I downloaded the demo of guitar rig, i plugged my guitar into my sound card via a transfer piece (1/8-1/16) or whatever the guitar plug size is to the headphone jack size. I open up guitar rig, and i hear my guitar but everything is delayed and it echoes. It sounds like delay is automatically on and i have fooled around with it i cant figure out what the problem is. I turned off all effects and stuff, it still made the problem. I have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card which isnt bad, it should be able to hand this program. can anyone help me? thanks.

Yes it does sound like latency that could be being caused primarily by the system if it's not beefy enough. Guitar Rig is a memory Pig (Hey I made a funny) and if you're not using ASIO drivers configured for optimal latency you'll get lag, if your ram short and/or processor short, you'll get lag.

i believe you have latency. a very common problem in computer recording. i really dont know much about it. but i think it can be adjusted (at the cost of proccesing power?) and i think it is mostly because of your soundcard

Correct... if the processor in your pc is not up to speed (especially as Guitar rig is Processor intensive) you will lag behind and get annoyig echo... Go and throw a LOT of ram into your pc.. that ** Should ** Help a little... Alternativly get a new pc and make sure it has LOTS of ram and procesisng power... expensive but if your going to do recording via your pc... its needed really...

Also a nice soundcard will help... the more frequenceies it supports the better

Hope it all helps

Slain Angel

i believe you have latency. a very common problem in computer recording. i really dont know much about it. but i think it can be adjusted (at the cost of proccesing power?) and i think it is mostly because of your soundcard

Correct... if the processor in your pc is not up to speed (especially as Guitar rig is Processor intensive) you will lag behind and get annoyig echo... Go and throw a LOT of ram into your pc.. that ** Should ** Help a little... Alternativly get a new pc and make sure it has LOTS of ram and procesisng power... expensive but if your going to do recording via your pc... its needed really...

Hope it all helps

Slain Angel

I've got 512 MB Ram and 1.7 Ghz processor, more than needed to run the program according to the website, i'll try tweaking it though thanks.

Hope it all helps

Slain Angel

I've got 512 MB Ram and 1.7 Ghz processor, more than needed to run the program according to the website, i'll try tweaking it though thanks.

you will always have latency...my computer has 512m ram and a 2.4 gig processor,and no matter how i set it,it still has latency.(even if it is only a hundredth of a second or so)

but i use mine for recording,and there are ways around it.

i record all my tracks to the click track and mute the ones previously recorded.this automatically lines them up for playback...but if it is a solo or something like that which i need to hear the other tracks for,i record it with the click track off and the rythm tracks unmuted(the track i am recording is always muted...i monitor it through headphones running directly from the music source)...

then after they are recorded i go through and manually line them all up with my mouse.

for just simply playback i don't know.i think using a computer as an amp may be problematic in nature

an external card would be best if your computer is only being used for recording, which is what i'm going to be doing.

I am told that latency in tracks and lagg will be corrected by the more ram you get.

A good site for recording and all is http://studio-central.com/phpbb/index.php it's a forum.

Basically if you want a good rig, you're going to have throw down good money. If you're just wanting to mess around, then maybe you can live with the latency or do something wes said to avoid it.

-Jamie

you will always have latency

I disagree wes. I have like the best sound card you can buy And I downloaded the trial version of guitar rig and I diddnt get any latency. Now I diddnt like the sounds of guitar rig but thats another story B)

no you have latency....it is just small enough you can't hear it.but that is a technicality...tecnically amps have it as well...hell,even your hearing has latency in it :D

feel free to disagree though if you wish ...waste of time though,i am always right :D

but yeah...extra ram helps.if you don't have enough ram and you set your latency too low(or however you would say it),you can get clicks and pops in your recordings.

i don't mind the latency...there are so many ways around it built right into the recording software

Basically if you want a good rig, you're going to have throw down good money. If you're just wanting to mess around, then maybe you can live with the latency or do something wes said to avoid it.

yes and no...really the sound quality of the final product depends more on how good you are with the software rather than how badass your rig is.the badass rig just makes it easier to iron out the little kinks(like latency)

the computer just records what you put in it.i am getting pretty nice results with mine...but the only reason they are not completely proffessional results is that i don't yet know the ins and outs of the software

i do need more ram though....mine is upgradeable to a gig

I understand latency but I thought it was only a problem when you used certain effects and monitored the OUTPUT of those effects. Does GuitarRig introduce more delay than just the standard input-to-soundcard delay? Probly a dumb question but I have trouble grasping where the latency is actually created. That and why you can't monitor the signal pre-processed so it doesn't throw you off. There is a radio show that has a delay in the studio headphone monitors and when they play with the delay, it makes normally intelligent people talk like babbling idiots! Hilarious and they found it only works on some people. Others can talk right over the monitor-delay. I love it!

The bulk of the latency should be occuring in the DSP part of the prog.. Latency was an issue during the early days of the rack mounted DSPs.. think back to the old octave and harmonizer effects.. Input on the computer is real time (given no other interference witht he signal) it's the signal processing that is the / between the i and the o :D

This is why a slower computer will have a more pronounced latency. I run a 2Ghz laptop with 512 megs of ram. When it's a clean install it's fast and my digital recording and video work is pretty uch realtime but it's been almost 2 years since a clean install and that thing is as slow as molasses. Any kind of DSP stuff that my audio progs ask of the machine are much slower than they used to be. You have to have an unhindered processor.

So many people download all kinds of utilites, have little system try thingies running and all this other garbage that it ties up processer resources. My first suggestion would be to clean EVERYTHING off that isn't necessary.

As per the question about the MBox and firewire stuff.. I would think the latency could potentially be worse. In a sound card, your audio goes in and is converted to digital audio that the computer can understand and the sound card takes on that D/A conversion process, away from the PC. Leaving the PC free to do it's thing. With a USB input, your computers processor is doing the D/A conversion and that's just another step.

General rule of thumb is to isolate functions. If you have a kick ass sound card, it will have the memory and proessor speed to get the sound to the computer ready for the DSP.. With hardware interfaces, if they don't have their own processing chips, they are throwing that proccess off onto the CPU which is already supposed to be ready to hit the DSP functions.. not have to do the D/A stuff first.. Same goes in video work.. people spend thousands on input cards that handle the realtime processing of video and keep the processor open for visual effects processing. And the best gaming vid cards work by taking all the rendering processes away from the computer, so i would say great soundcard will win out over USB and Firewire inputs. That's just what seems logical to me though.