Fender Paints

You may have to get a good color picture and visit an autobody paint supplier in your town. Most of these places will custom mix colors (spray or canned) for a price. Usually, they use computer matching to get the color right.

Although it is more expensive than off the shelf options, it may be your best bet...

Chris D.

I believe I heard once that Fender was using PPG paints. Check your local PPG supplier for the color.

Also, keep in mind the Chrome Blue may actually be a silver metallic base with a blue topcoat. Kind of like how a Candy Apple Red is really a gold metallic base with a red topcoat.

I still can't believe you're going to spend the money refinishing that Squier body, but hey it's your money. Blow it where you want it.

I appreciate the help guys. As for blowing my money, I thank you for telling me that I am (not sarcasim). I understand what I am spending but to me, it's just being able to look at that "squier" and say, I painted this, that satisfies me. The only money I am spending is to buy the paint itself. The rest is being done by me. I have painting equipment and I am a decent painter. I used to paint cars. So am I still blowing my money if it's just for paint? I don't think so but please tell me if you still think so. I am pretty sure chrome blue has a silver basecoat or a black primer basecoat. It is too late to not paint it because the paint has been bad for a while so it's apart now, so either way, it has to/had to be painted...Thanks for the help keep it coming.

the chrome blue is a candy color over a chrome base, I don't know whta type of chrome base they use, but that chrome paint that you see in that link is the same (if not ) as Alsa Corp chrome paint, and it is painted on water, or should I say that the medium that carries the chrome to the part you are painting is on the water you spray, in a wood guitar it will spell disaster, so I don't think it's what fender uses.

linkto Alsas paint video. Just think that what he is painting is a nice piece of ash or mahogany. can you see the wood swelling everywere theres a rout or hole made?

They also have the Mirra Chrome, which I think it's a better candidate, but any little scratch will make it look like a POS.http://alsacorp.com/products/mirrachrome/mirra_video.htm

The idea to use a blue anodizing spray (Metalcast or Duplicolor's Anodizit) over a silver (or chroming) paint is a good one.

I recently tested Plastikote's Candy Apple Blue auto spray paint (rattle can) on some wood and the resulting color was close to chrome blue but not exact.

Tell me how you do.

Hello again, I have decided to go for the Krylon Metalcast ebcause of the chrome sheen to it. How many poeple have had good experience with this stuff enough to tell me how to use the basecoats for it and everything? I know it has a basecoat/primer/adhesive for the metalcast that you put under it, but do I put a colored basecoat as well? I know I will be clearing the finish. When I sand the stock black, am I supposed to go down to the wood? Then after that do i have to primer before putting the basecoat/metalcast primer? All help is appreciated.