My Bridge Is Out Of Control!

hello, i am having a problem with my rg270dx tremelo. I dissassembled the guitar to refinish it, and ever since i put it back together, when it finally gets in tune, the back of the trem is seriously high off of the guitar, if i had to guess it would be about an inch and a 1/4. I have it blocked right now, but im kinda missing using the trem, is there a way to fix it to where it will work good, and, or if i buy an OFR will it do the same thing?? any help would be appreciated, thanks..

hello, i am having a problem with my rg270dx tremelo.  I dissassembled the guitar to refinish it, and ever since i put it back together,  when it finally gets in tune, the back of the trem is seriously high off of the guitar

I agree with Godin. You have got the same number of springs as before by the way, do you?

yes it will probly make way to much difference

are u using the same gauge strings as before u pulled it apart?

if u are and it was sitting nice and flush with the body before then u wouldnt need to add springs u should be able to adjust to perfect with the spring claw screws

it has 3 trem springs right now, if i add another 2 and tighen them down all the way would it really make a big difference?

my gawd man!what the heck??!!phhttt!!!gaack!!!!cough!!!!! :D

seriously...READ THE SETUP PAGE!!!!!

dude.the whole ,entire purpose of those springs and adjustable screws are to keep the bridge at the proper level with any string gauge and tuning.this means that the tension of the springs is how you counter the tension of the strings on a floating trem.if you change string gauges and tune to the same pitch as you did with the other strings,it WILL affect the way the bridge sets,and you will have to REset up your guitar.

simple physics, man....action/reaction...heard of it?

Ya know, not being a big trem fan, I never go any further then setting up with a flat body-to-plate spring tension. My nephew's Jackson has been through heck because of his constant need to change string gauge. If I play it, I like the bridge plate to sit down at the back. Seems to make it come back to pitch better and I never bend up anyhow. So I guess that puts my vote for more springs or at least more tension. To me it would make sense to add a couple springs and set flat or better. Did I mention, IMHO?

Ya know, not being a big trem fan, I never go any further then setting up with a flat body-to-plate spring tension. My nephew's Jackson has been through heck because of his constant need to change string gauge. If I play it, I like the bridge plate to sit down at the back. Seems to make it come back to pitch better and I never bend up anyhow. So I guess that puts my vote for more springs or at least more tension. To me it would make sense to add a couple springs and set flat or better. Did I mention, IMHO?

the rg 270 has a floating trem...recessed i mean...the plate when set properly is supposed to be on a level plane with the guitar....parrallel i mean...

if it were to "set down at the back"it would in fact be sitting in a hole,and the string clamp screws would be being pummeled against the wood at the bottom of the recess.

i think you are reffering to a vintage style trem...like what comes on a fender strat

Yep, that's what is on that Jackson. I really don't know the structural difference between the trems cause I try to stay away from putting them on or making the customer happy with them. It is just a "ME" thing. Hipshot ran a couple of their designs across me and, from an engineering point of view, I really only understand the knife-pivot very well.

Why are all these people having so much difficulty with their tremolo's.

It's just a matter of understanding what goes on in/around your guitar.

Read-up on setting up Floyd Rose. Do google on it. Plenty of info on it out there.

Go to tech section on ibanezrules.com and so dome reading.

And yeah, it's a delicate balancing act. Yeah, first time don't be surprised it takes hour or so to have decent set-up. But once you master it. You never have to whippy cry about trem again.

Oh.....and get a digital tuning computer. I have one that works on my PC and it's a pleasure tuning guitar with it. Found this program called AP Guitar Tuner 1.02.

Here is link

When I set up my floyd......I go from outside to inside. Not in sequence from Low E to high E.

Sequence will be something like this.

Low E, high E (both tuned +10% )

Low E, high E, A, B (now A, B tuned +5-8%)

Low E, high E, A, B, G, D

Then I start all over again. This time I tune low E, high E (+2-5% flat)

Trick with Floyd is that if you tune one string...it affects all others. You have to counter-act for this. You tune other strings tid bit out of tune, that with tuning last one, all others will be exactly right.

What makes it more complicated... is that guitar can be in tune....but floyd is not paralled with body. Then you have to adjust the screws that hold the metal claw (that hold these big springs) at back of your guitar.

It's balancing act. Going from say 9's to 11's (string thickness) it might be you run out of play with these 3 strings in the back....then you add strings to back. Not any time sooner.

yeah..i have 3 springs on all mine...works fine.i only play 9s.

but i don't tune outside to inside....i just tune normally,but i go higher than i need to go until i am pretty close.

hard to explain...but in 5 minutes i can completely change string gauges and tuning if i want,and if all i am doing is changing strings,i can tune it in a couple of minutes