Dan Erlewine Video's For Sale

Guitarfrenzy

I'm needing to raise cash to build a shop and decided to sell some of my stuff. It's the Dan Erlewine's Advanced Fretting Vol. 1 and Advanced Fretting Vol. 2. They have been taken great care of, in fact just like I bought them. These videos are great for someone wanting to learn the trade of fretting, or refretting guitars. I thought I'd post here just in case anyone was thinking about buying these, you could save a lot of money. Here are the links.. Thanks

Dan Erlewine DVD's

Best of luck with the auctions but I think that you might have committed two of the worst mistakes as far as ebay is concerned. As a frequent ebayer myslef I will tell you that I almost always avoid buy it now auctions and at a price only $10 below new price (regardless of the condition) I don't think its likely anyone will take you up on it either. Setting a reserve also discourages a lot of bidders. Just my .02, good luck with your auctions!

Yes, sorry they have all been sold. Jay5, I may have broken the two worst mistakes, but forunately they sold all in one day. I'm new to selling on Ebay, so I'll take any advice I can get. Thanks for the advice bro, I'll watch for that next time. I do have the Acoustic Guitar Making with Frank Finocchio 5 DVD set that I'm going to sell also, if anyone is interested. I just checked Stew Mac's site and they are even on backorder for it. I'm think of selling them for even a better savings. They are awesome videos. PM me if you are interested, it's just like it came from Stew Mac, brand new, I just need the cash right now. Thanks everyone..

MaTT Vinson

All that matters is that you got what you wanted out of it. So I will be respectful and not wave in your face I would have paid more! :D

Seriously, could you answer something though, was the Advanced REALLY worth the additional purchase? I've been eye balling these for a year. It appears you've gained something because your necks have looked great (or you're a natural, which I suspect has possiblities). :D

All that matters is that you got what you wanted out of it.  So I will be respectful and not wave in your face I would have paid more!  :D

Seriously, could you answer something though, was the Advanced REALLY worth the additional purchase?  I've been eye balling these for a year.  It appears you've gained something because your necks have looked great (or you're a natural, which I suspect has possiblities).  :D

Yes, those videos go into more techniques and have guest like Bryan Galloup who show their own techniques for fretting and refretting. They are definitely great videos and I've learned a lot from them, I really didn't want to part with them, but I just needed to raise money right now. I'm going to be selling some of my Swamp Ash stash soon also, so you know how bad I'm needing money.. lol

How's the JV-1 coming Matt?

Thanks Jay5 for asking. It's coming together real good, the only slow down is that I've been playing music every weekend so I haven't had as much time as I'd like to devote to my hobby. Also, everything has to have templates built for it, so that I can build as many as I want later on easier. The main thing is getting the MDF carved top design perfect, so that I can use it on the copy carver. Also, I'm building a inlay machine I designed and I have to test it out some first. So, yeah it's coming together but not nearly as fast as I'd like. I'll get some more progress pics up soon though.

Also, everything has to have templates built for it, so that I can build as many as I want later on easier.

Man are we on the same page or what. That has been my main hurdle too. I have decided to make all my templates out of 1/2" acrylic. Getting the material (especially for a body template) has taken some time and $$$ but I figure once I'm done Ill be able to knock them out as fast as I need to and I won't have to worry about any durability issues. No need rushing things.

Also, everything has to have templates built for it, so that I can build as many as I want later on easier.

Man are we on the same page or what. That has been my main hurdle too. I have decided to make all my templates out of 1/2" acrylic. Getting the material (especially for a body template) has taken some time and $$$ but I figure once I'm done Ill be able to knock them out as fast as I need to and I won't have to worry about any durability issues. No need rushing things.

Just a little tip for templates, I use 3/4 inch mdf. The reason being is that the router bit does not have to take as big a bite out at the first. Its easier on the router and you can route faster with smaller bites believe it or not. Once uou get down to the depth of the router bit you can just use the top of the cavity you just cut for the template. Quick and accurate.

My only issue with MDF is that it dents pretty easy. I have been using MDF to make tele neck templates. I have had a couple bang on the edge if the bench and leave a mark enough to make them unusable. MDF is also a bear on router bits. I do like it to make a working template and then transfer it over to acrylic. I hog most of the material to be routed with forstner bits so I don't really worry about having to take small cuts. MDF definately has its uses.

My only issue with MDF is that it dents pretty easy. I have been using MDF to make tele neck templates. I have had a couple bang on the edge if the bench and leave a mark enough to make them unusable. MDF is also a bear on router bits. I do like it to make a working template and then transfer it over to acrylic. I hog most of the material to be routed with forstner bits so I don't really worry about having to take small cuts. MDF definately has its uses.

Ah yes i see what you mean. I meant mdf for the body cavity templates. And I use a 1/2 inch bit with a bearing collar at the top.

For a shape template like a neck or body I can see where acrylic has the advantage. But for that I use masonite, cheap and fairly durable.

Don't get me wrong i wouldn't mind using acrylic but it takes one oops to mess up a template. :D

Edit: by the way if you mess up the edge of a mdf template it fixes up nicely with a little body filler. Id post a pic of mine but im at work :D , maybe when i get home.

Edited by GuitarGuy

Actually I've done it both ways, with 3/4" templates and smaller for neck and body routing, but the thing I was talking about was the body carving top template for duplicating the master MDF copy over to the guitars. Basically, I'm making a MDF body just like the guitar I'm building, so that I can carve it and get it perfect, then later on use it on the copy carver to duplicate the carve top on the guitar.

Actually I've done it both ways, with 3/4" templates and smaller for neck and body routing, but the thing I was talking about was the body carving top template for duplicating the master MDF copy over to the guitars.  Basically, I'm making a MDF body just like the guitar I'm building, so that I can carve it and get it perfect, then later on use it on the copy carver to duplicate the carve top on the guitar.

I know exactly where you're coming from...in fact thats how i found your site. I was looking for info on a router-copier. Im buildin' one right now with the help of the old man.

router-copier.jpg