Devil Flambe Stratocaster

I'm new to this place, kind of stumbled upon it while searching for some guitar ideas for my first time doing a custom job on someone else's guitar.

A question ... for said custom job, the client is asking for a repainting of the body to black plus a flame job. Does $50 CAD (approx $40 US) sound like a reasonable price to ask for such a job?

Here's my Devil Flambe Fat Strat that I completed last year.

rayna.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of work you other mesage board members have done, and hope to be sticking around in the world of guitar mods for years to come.

Jay

you know...i really like that concept.i think i would have left off the devil's tail...maybe a pentagram instead..but i realize some of you religious types might have a problem with that.

but that is what i did on my "burn in hell" type of refinish.the "burn" on mine did not look as good though

That guitar is awesome. Most death metal paintjobs with skulls and all look lame to me, but that just looks well done. I probably wouldn't have put the satan tail on it either. I think that price is extremely unfair to you. You spend a lot of time on refinishes with stripping and surface prep in addition to the actual paintjob. I'd say for a close friend I might possibly to a paintjob like you described for 200USD. That's still nowhere near worth my time. The quality of paints you use could effect the price, though.

How exactly did you get that burned look if you don't mind sharing?

How exactly did you get that burned look if you don't mind sharing?

Here's the story behind "Rayna" ...

I purchased her from an acquaintance somewhat hesitantly. I like all my guitars to be red. This one was black. I needed to strip the paint somehow and was suggested to by my dad (who's been involved in the welding business for years) that blowtorching it off could work. Needless to say it left quite the scorched look. So combining the scorched look with wanting a red guitar, the Devil Flambe scheme was born.

I would suggest against taking a blowtorch to a guitar. It gets messy and you definitely need to be sure you are wearing proper protection from the heat and the hot pieces of paint that tend to fly off.

Thanks guys for the comments and input on the price. I have actually been trying to sell Rayna since I never play her - $666, of course.

Jay

50$ :D Man Where you at in the world?

deadly work man!

!!METAL MATT!! :D

wow jamm thats awesome...so after you torched it you put clear over it or what? that would looks awesome on the mockingbird im building. also would it work if i painted the guitar black first then torch it to get thats burn look?

Edited by Hughes

I like the devil tail, too. Anything TOO 'death'-ish (skulls, etc) would just make it look like you're taking yourself seriously. The devil's tail is a cheeky little thing to smile about. More of a "cool" factor than a "man, that's evil" factor, which in my opinion is a GOOD thing.

If the refinish includes clear, $50 is way too cheap. Even without clear, it seems pretty low.

Greg

I did clear coat it after I was finished painting. The burned areas seemed to absorb the clear coat!

As for painting a guitar and then torching it, I was dealing with a factory Fender solid black finish. That's the extent of my torching paint jobs knowledge.

As for the paint job, being that it's the first for someone other than myself, I decided to start off at $99. The client thought that was more than reasonable, so hopefully when I'm satisfied with the paint job I'll have a happy customer and another guitar to help build the ol' portfolio.

Jay

It's very reasonable. I haven't looked around for a finisher yet (finishing from wood, not even stripping first) and I'm expecting to pay $200 just for solid black, if I hire the work out. :D:D And that's if I can find someone willing to do it for a bit "less" than what they normally would. Ie. the $200 would be a bargain.

Greg