Ok Guys Now I Need Some Help!

mattdesign.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ZAD...tarMYguitar.jpg

Ok so I was looking at the the edge on the top and Im thinking to my self------>

(self you have never done that before and it sure looks deadly so what are you going to do) well hear I am, can any one help me out with this?

Any tips,pics,hints-------------Im sure I could do it on my own but I would love to know what Iam doing before I do it :D

Thanks!

!!METAL MATT!! :D

mattdesign.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ZAD...tarMYguitar.jpg

Ok so I was looking at the the edge on the top and Im thinking to my self------>

(self you have never done that before and it sure looks deadly so what are you going to do) well hear I am, can any one help me out with this?

Any tips,pics,hints-------------Im sure I could do it on my own but I would love to know what Iam doing before I do it :D

Thanks!

Matt... is there ever going to be an end to your great ideas? that looks amazing!

The finish on that is amazing!!

Anyway i am no help as to answering your question but i just like to mention how nice it looks!!

~~ Slain Angel ~~

I think you self could do it with a router bit. not quite sure what bit or how but I'm pretty sure that's how most people get nice fancy shapes like that!

either that or doing it by hand  which is how I'd do it as I have no router.

Ya I think that would work for the sides but it's the botom I think I would have troble with!

Matt... is there ever going to be an end to your great ideas? that looks amazing!

The finish on that is amazing!!

Anyway i am no help as to answering your question but i just like to mention how nice it looks!!

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Ha well I sure hope not :D I Think I have alot more fun comeing up with a design

than I do building them but I can't take all the credit, marksound came up with that deadly headstock and he put the neck on and removed the background and

Gigabyte did the original color and shape and a few sunbursts

If it wasent for all the help from these guys this guitar would not be as Sweeet!

Do you need help carving it or help finishing? I'm not quite sure which is your question.

But for carving I used a hand-held belt sander with a 36 grit belt too do the rough shaping. It's MUCH easier than you think too get a nice even carve. It's seems like it would be hard when you run over it in your head but once you start you can see thats it's fairly easy.

Finishing I couldn't help you with :D

For the edge, you most likely want a Roman Ogee bit:

Ok ya see that's what I was thinking but Im not to sure How I would get the larger cut on the back unless that's one big dam bit :D

Do you need help carving it or help finishing? I'm not quite sure which is your question.

But for carving I used a hand-held belt sander with a 36 grit belt too do the rough shaping. It's MUCH easier than you think too get a nice even carve. It's seems like it would be hard when you run over it in your head but once you start you can see thats it's fairly easy.

Finishing I couldn't help you with

Well I would sand it If It where a stright sloped edge like on the back of a B.C Rich virgin but with that curve I dont realy want to sand It out!

And as far as me needing help with finishing, man Iam sending this one out for finishing I dont have the set up to get a finish that deadly! B)

Now I just need some cash! :D

I have tried and tried to figure out exactly what your problem area is and I ain't there yet. What part of that WONDERFUL design do you have a problem executing? Is it the outline, the top carving or the sharp inside corners of the "horns"?

mattdesignhelp.jpg

Well Im having a hard time with this area hear in the red what I need to know is how do I do this curve/carving I know about the Roman Ogee bit but What I realy need to know is how it all done im I going to need a large bit? has any one hear done this method before? if so I could use some tips--pics

Do you have a router table?

If so I would load either a 1 1/2' ogee (if you want to see a sharp edge at the lip of the top) or a 1 1/4" quarter round bit (if you are looking for the sweet roundover effect). Regardless, by putting a dowel into your table on the end side of the router you should be able to accomplish the "compound curve" that it looks like you are after. IE as you push the body into the router it will take a full cut until the point that is hits the dowl. From there the cut will become less and less aggressive as long as you act as the second pivot point. This means that you will have to move very slowely and accurately. I would recomend using a variable speed module to slow down the bit speed of the router, especially with bits that big - it will keep more digits on your hands if nothing else. I imagine you will still have to hand shape the contour by hand at the tail of the guitar, as the pretty curve you will have at the bottom of the "hourglass" of the body will turn into a sharp edge at the tail.

wwhheeww.

Anyway if you have any other question (and i imagine you will since its easier to "show" than "tell" and the fact that I am not Shakespeares reincarnation) just let em fly.

Take it easy, Nate Robinson

Do you have a router table?

Well out of all things I do have that's not one of them is ther any why to do it with out the table??

Might not be the fastest or easiest method, but I always pick up a hammer and my set of chisels when I need to do some shaping like that. Start off with a router bit with a guide to take out just enough to leave an even edge all around the edge. It could be a straight bit or even a cove bit http://www.routerbits.com/cgi-routerbits/s...649840_14409+24

I would go with the cove bit personally, set your depth, then if you don't like chisels, make yourself a sanding template, or just a little acrylic template with the profile you want, and just sand it by hand and check with the template. There are also these types of bits http://www.routerbits.com/cgi-routerbits/s...649840_14409+66 bit # 3294 If you find one with the right size or even close to you want might be the quickest method. Just use a router by hand, but clamp down the body and do it befor you put your fretboard on, unless its a bolt on, then dont worry about that. Just see what bits you have or can find or borrow, and don't be afraid to use several different bits to get everything even.

A suggestion......horns on headstock are quite far apart.....bringing them bit closer may look better. In relation to horns in body I mean....

And with doing carve....you might wanna test this out on cheaper type wood test body.

Just to get feel for matter and best method.

Just my $0.02.

thiscut1.jpg

Ok Now I think this is the shape Im going for

So Is there any one that's done this before because I've been searching ALL OVER

the net and I've found nonthing B)

I need help! this one is "KILLING ME" I dont have the stuff I need to build a neck

so I dont know what to do and There's no way my spray booth will ever

get that kind of resaults ,I've designed beyond my means but this design has to be done I have a felling about this one------ :D STRESS :D ------

Ha well I sure hope not :D  I Think I have alot more fun comeing up with a design

than I do building them but I can't take all the credit, marksound came up with that deadly headstock

Actually it seems to me like a modified "widow" headstock from B.C. Rich. For that matter, I would prefer making it a bit more like the widow headstock, those very sharp, nasty, pointy bits are also very weak parts. I suggest you either change the design, reinforce them with metal or stuff or plan to be very careful!

Just a suggestion:

First use a cove bit to cut the outer, lower 1/4 round part.

Next take a flat scraper and grind the roundover profile for the top edge into it. Use the scraper to do the roundover. You might be able to gt a bearing guided roundover bit to do it.

The other alternative is to use a shaper and get a set of blades ground. If you're planning on doing more guitars with this same profile it would be worth it. Just one and the router/shaper is more cost efficent.

LRH is a good source for oddball shaped router bits. Look at their site.

Man, we gotta help him with this! That is the best "left-field" I have seen in a long time! Doc, you lost me about the bit (diameter?) to carve into the top. It looks to me like he will either have to do a very broad route to achieve the flat area before the top comes up to full thickness or he might have to do a double or step lamination to get such a broad carve with a router. Do they even make a bit that big? It would have to be the width of the carve times two plus the diameter of the guide-bearing. As usual, I probly missed a basic part of the process. :D

that's a tough one if you can't find a bit to fit your needs. a half to three quarters cove or coving bit will do the cut on the lower part of your pic but the little roundover on top would almost have to be done by hand with sandpaper.

here's a suggestion that might not cost you much more than a good bit purchased on line. look for local millwrights in your area. many of them will make a bit for you and even run your blank through for a fee. but first do a thorough search on line..look at the rockler webb site and others that sell wood working supplies and i'll bet you can come close to matching what you need.

eited to say: you're quick doc. just beat me to it. :D