Iron Maiden

TenderSurrender

Ahh how do they do it??

I picked up my old Powerslave (orignal 1984 its me dads :D ) album this morning and listened and as per usual.. was amazed... but something got me thinking.... HOW do they get the great tone from there gear?

I mean i know there guitars heavily influece it and of course the players them selves but surley a good part of the set up has something to do with it?

My current set up is

Guitar > Zoom 3030 > Marshall 250 DFX

My zoom pedal is easily configured with many types of distortion and a fairly good EQ...

So i suppose my question is...

Can any one please suggest to me a set up on my Zoom 3030 that will bring me at least marginally close to Maidens sound?

Thanks

~~ Slain Angel ~~

The rhythm sound or the lead sound?

A lot of the leads were harmonized between 2 guitars, no? I'm not a huge Maiden fan, but that's what memory tells me. Someone else can tell me if my memory is suffering from age-related setbacks.

Greg

The rhythm sound or the lead sound?

A lot of the leads were harmonized between 2 guitars, no?  I'm not a huge Maiden fan, but that's what memory tells me.  Someone else can tell me if my memory is suffering from age-related setbacks.

Greg

You are right. In fact, harmonized twin guitar leads are known as "Iron-Maiden-type" in rock and metal amgazines. It's a sort of trademark of theirs.

You have to sell your soul to the devil! At least thats what the old people say at the concerts in fromnt of the venues!!!

But realy, I think it will always be a mistery how they did those last "good" Maiden albums, the last being Seven Son of A Seventh Son. And I think that as long as Janick Geers stay in the band they will never sound the same.

You won't find the same tone as in Powerslave on any of the music after seven... the solos were harmonized to one point, since it is not the same thing that they paly on different scales, Dave and Adrian got a different approach to soloing and you can tell if you listen carefully to which one is playing at the time. Even their rythm section was thick full of energy, they complete each other when they play, not like most bands that there are a definite role on the players, like Metallica, where the rythm was carried mostly by James and the solos by Kirk.

You have to sell your soul to the devil!  At least thats what the old people say at the concerts in fromnt of the venues!!!

But realy, I think it will always be a mistery how they did those last "good" Maiden albums, the last being Seven Son of  A Seventh Son.  And I think that as long as Janick Geers stay in the band they will never sound the same. 

You won't find the same tone as in Powerslave on any of the music after seven... the solos were harmonized to one point, since it is not the same thing that they paly on different scales, Dave and Adrian got a different approach to soloing and you can tell if you listen carefully to which one is playing at the time. Even their rythm section was thick full of energy, they complete each other when they play, not like most bands that there are a definite role on the players, like Metallica, where the rythm was carried mostly by James and the solos by Kirk.

So.. sell my soul to the devil... become the best guitarist in the world... meet another one.. and play along with em... tis the only way? aarrrg :D

Heh i kinda figured it'd be a hard act to follow but eee ill carry on trying

* listens to Ghost of the navigator *

Thanks

~~ Slain Angel ~~

* listens to Ghost of the navigator *

Thanks

~~ Slain Angel ~~

I have, a lot, one of the few I like, with the clansman and a very few in that line, but it is not even half as good as Infinite Dreams, Powerslave, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, Sea of Madness (I'm listening to this right now, my God, how good that bass sounds compared to the new stuff theyr are playing now.

http://www.ironmaiden.com/discography/audio/sit/Sea.asf just a taste, here is the link to their site were the albums are http://www.ironmaiden.com/homepage.php?sec...=0&subsection=0

splorge, been there done that and a lot more. Have even heard of guys in other sites that have actualy bought the same equipment Dave and Adrian used during the early 80's, to no avail. There was somenthing either done with effects or tweaked during mixing, that made such a desirable sound. Is just like Bostons sound, lot of people try to imitate, but hardly anybody got it right.

getting the exact tone of any recorded EQed (and any effects) mixed guitar isnt very likely (who knows how many tracks they use, 3 different amps simultaniously then triple tracked left then triple tracked right and similar are pretty commom place on rock albums these days ) especially with the gear hes got i stil say a decent patch is his best bet

especially with the gear hes got i stil say a decent patch is his best bet

I agree with a decent track, I have gotten a bit close, but everytime I hear the original and then listen to mine I end up changing it again.

(who knows how many tracks they use, 3  different amps simultaniously then triple tracked left then triple tracked right and similar are pretty commom place on rock albums these days )

I know it is a common practice this days, but this was recorded in 1983-1984

(who knows how many tracks they use, 3  different amps simultaniously then triple tracked left then triple tracked right and similar are pretty commom place on rock albums these days )

who knows black dog was triple tracked but that was probably 1 amp.

but anyways i think as long as youre playing the songs accurately getting the exact tone doesnt seem as important unless your doing a tribute band or something even then some of the best tribute bands ive seen dont have a very similar tone to the recordings but play it so exact it sounds better than an approximation with the perfect tone

who knows black dog was triple tracked but that was probably 1 amp.

but anyways i think as long as youre playing the songs accurately getting the exact tone doesnt seem as important unless your doing a tribute band or something even then some of the best tribute bands ive seen dont have a very similar tone to the recordings but play it so exact it sounds better than an approximation with the perfect tone

I know its not important and no im not in a tribute band but it was more just a curiosity thing then anything... They have such amazing tone and yes i agree with Maiden69... Powerslave album was AMAZING ever since Brave new world.. they just havent been the same... still great but they dont seem to have that traditonal were iron maiden come and handle us if you can tone!!

~~ Slain Angel ~~

:D Why does everybody think multi-tracking was born with ProTools? Of course some of those tracks were doubled, if not tripled or quadrupled. Led Zeppelin IV was released in 1971, so surely almost a decade and a half later those techniques were common knowledge, especially after Queen, Boston and almost every other arena rock giant had used them to great effect (and commercial success). If you want to know what the band actually sounded like, forget Powerslave, and give Live After Death a listen. In front of a screaming horde of their evil minions, they were one Hell of a band! URock.gif

Lovekraft i couldnt agree more

If you want to know what the band actually sounded like, forget Powerslave, and give Live After Death a listen. In front of a screaming horde of their evil minions, they were one Hell of a band

Damn i just put that album on and your right... its amazing... i knew i had my dad for a reason... he has lots of cool albums :D

I shall never be able to get that true british rock out of my amps and guitars the way maiden do... i still work on the theory with Maiden69 here... something to do with the devil i beleive... (even though at least 2 members of maiden are born again christians :D

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Personally, I like to believe that since they were so daring as to use plain, cream strats and a P-Bass for heavy metal, the Great Guitar God in the Sky was so kind as to impart them with some of his infinite tonal beauty. :D

I wonder if the plethora of mini-HB's in the band helps?

It might had helped on the sound, but I don't know when they started to appear and when MAiden did the switch.  But Pretty much everything from them has a distinct tone to it.  Even Killers and Number of the Beast, not to mention Piece of Mind.

thats the point... whatever maiden play...it always has this distanct tone that screams out maiden

Ive kind of got a setup now thats starting to resemble maiden but its far from perfect

~~ Slain Angel ~~

They had lots of guitar tracks. I remember a GP article where they talked about using a 32 track deck on piece of mind. Still, I don't think their sound was that great - I preferred Priest's mid 80's sound. I loved Maiden's tunes, though. Both bands did a lot of harmony solos, but lots of "tradeoff" ones, too.

I have to differ from you, Judas sound was a very generic sound, I know I will get some flame for this, but they never attract me, as a matter of fact, I to this date don't own a single Judas Priest album.

Maiden69... i stand by you

I agree that Judas never did have that great distinct tone that set them apart from the others

Maiden69.. should we go and don riot gear?

~~ Slain Angel ~~

I'm pretty sure maiden didn't start using the mini hbs until at least after powerslave because in the live after death tour video they have strats with humbuckers in them among other guitars,but no minihumbuckers. The video was also shot for the powerslave tour so unless they used them in the studio and for some reason weren't bringing them on tour I don't think the awesome powerslave tone is due to mini hbs all around. :D

Priest's sound had lots of very different versions, so it's hard to call it "this" or "that". The one I'm talking about is the "Vengeance" and (even more so) the "Defenders" albums. It was the product of lots of overdubs - very thick. There was even some (shudder) low synth going on underneath - not that you'd hear it as a synth, it just added to the weight of the sound - like some Pink Floyd stuff. I'm no purist - I just dig a thick "wall of sound", and for guitars, that's one of my favorites.

I have to differ from you, Judas sound was a very generic sound, I know I will get some flame for this, but they never attract me, as a matter of fact, I to this date don't own a single Judas Priest album.

Pick up Painkiller, I'm sure you'll like it.