Ebay.. Striped Apart Strat's For Sale...

Build them! :D

But yeah, Fender is just a brand owned by someone that makes money off the great inventions Leo Fender made half a century ago. So it is obvious they make those "time machine" replicas and stuff in order to please the people with the money but without the true vintage strat (that are not all that good anyway). Wouldn't know about any really great new Fender improvement in the last 30 years.

Lace, Vintage Noiseless, and SCN pickups, two-point trems, LSR nuts, locking tuners, integrated Roland synth drivers, and various other options and improvements have been made in the last 30 years. Problem is that people didn't want the Strats and Teles messed with that much, so many options have disappeared while some have stuck around. Come to think of it, the one Leo Fender brand that hasn't innovated much in the last 20 years IS G&L, and their bodies are crap, too.

Music Man has stayed on the cutting edge much like Ibanez and ESP and it's nice to see them doing well, too.

Lace, Vintage Noiseless, and SCN pickups, two-point trems, LSR nuts, locking tuners, integrated Roland synth drivers, and various other options and improvements have been made in the last 30 years.

So, how many of them are improvements developed by or used firstly by Fender? Except the Noiseless pickups...

Edited by Mr.Churchyard

Well, when you think about it, none were actually developed by FMIC, although for years they were exclusive OEM licensees of the components listed above. G&L had some great innovations--25 years ago. The ASAT pickups, Z-coil pickups, locking-saddle bridge, and two-piece neck construction were excellent Leo-developed ideas, but to say they've been innovating while FMIC has been lagging is hardly a statement backed up by fact.

I don't want a G&L because they're innovative. I want one because I like them better. Saying their bodies are crap is only one person's experience, just as Wes has had a negative experience with a piece of junk Steinberger. That doesn't mean that the entire company is automatically crap. :D

FWIW, for some reason I can't even explain, in some ways I'd rather have a Tribute. :D Probably because the same part of me that thinks Fender is a rip-off agrees that the G&L guitars are ALSO overpriced. A Tribute is the right price. B) Maybe that's it.

Greg

I agree with you Greg. I had a G&L Tribute strat (ash - natural) and it was clean, excellent quality, well finished, well dressed frets, etc, etc.....They do make good quality stuff.

had a g&l strat... (400 model maybe) it was RAD.. but at the time I was into the metal scene.. and could not bare to hack it a part...

si I sold it.. better than hacking it I suppose.. but I wish I had it now.....

• 4 weeks later...

I, for one, have taken advantage of the stripped models on Ebay. It began by wanting a new neck for my old 67 strat (needs fretwork now but I was going to sell it since it is truly a vintage piece). I bought a guitar in 1978 that had the original 67 neck but a Charvel body so only the neck is truly vintage.

The new necks are already setup from Fender so it allowed me to get a slightly used neck (2002) with medium jumbos and all it needed was a nut filing adjustment - (a little high from Fender). No need for dressing frets on a new neck and it had the Fender logo and was finished. The cost was slighty more than a base Warmoth unfinished neck.

I then got interested in the S1 switch. The other guitarist in our worship team tried a new strat and was very impressed with the setup on the Deluxe. The only place to get the pickups, harness, and knobs as far as I know is from a site like the Stratosphere. They are very detailed and accurate in their descriptions of the parts and they are, I believe, supplying legitimate US Fender gear.

I eventually built a complete guitar from parts from stores like the Stratosphere and YES the parts go for more than the dealer cost on the guitar, especially when you ad in the shipping.

I came out about even in total cost with a new purchase but with a greater appreciation of the stratocaster. I also ended up with a guitar that is one of a kind.

Stripping them down may seem like a sad thing but putting them together is incredibly rewarding if your the type thats in to it.

By the way I still have the original strat with the 67 neck and the Charvel body - Can't get rid of it yet.

Ron :D

• 3 months later...

The sellers of guitar parts have just realized what other entrepeneurs have --the sum of the parts can add up to more than the whole. Someone might not have $1200 for an American Fender, but do have $325 for a neck. Of course, it is usually a very expensive way to get something, unless the buyer is VERY canny. The process, if done for fun instead of cost effectiveness can be fun. Although most of the stringed victims are unnoteworthy, It is unfortunate that some really good guitars are being canabalized.

Buying a new guitar and parting it out wont get you any profit (usually). Parting out used guitars however does seem to be fairly profitable. I just sold a MIM Strat in parts and got more for the lot than I paid new almost 3 years ago with more wear.