New Shop Advice

mdw3332

I haven't been around here for a while. We moved from Southern California to Salem, OR. Bought a great house in a wonderful area.

The best thing is the garage - it will be my office / guitar room and shop. It is a 3 car garage that measures about 20 X 36 feet. I'm having the office built in one corner - about 12 X 14 feet. The rest will be my shop - any advice on general layout and positioning of tools? I have a radial arm saw, good-sized router table, a floor standing radial arm drill press and most of the small / hand stuff I need. I'm thinking that the center piece of the shop will be a 36 X 80" work bench that is on casters.

This is a great opportunity as I can do everything the way it should be from the start. Any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Marty

I know that a good dust collection system would be up there on my list. So would a few dedicated benches for various tasks (fretting, sanding, etc...). The central bench idea is great. I have a little one that I can move around and I use it every day.

Jay5,

Good idea, I didn't mention that there is a central vacuum system for the house and the collector for it is in the garage. The contractor who is doing my office said it will just be a matter of putting in some PVC pipe and valves.

The best thing I have bought so far is a yard blower / vac. It has a patio cleaning attachment which turns it into a large hand held vacuum that works better than any shop vac I've ever used.

Hi Marty, so you made the move. Welcome to Oregon! I was up in Salem today for a job with the state. You'll have to come down to Eugene and see my shop as an example of how NOT to do it.

Danno, I'll take any help I can get. Where are you in Eugene? We looked at some places in south Eugene, but found a "perfect" house in south Salem. If you get back up this way, let me know and I'll show you what I'm doing. Met with the contractor today to get started on the office. Once that's done, I'll set up the shop and unpack all the tools and parts that are sitting in boxes. :D

Downdraft table will be a big help. They are amazing things. Dust is so anoying.

I had a big bench similar to what you mentioned, but after a while I cut it way down. So much of it just got cluttered with "stuff". I made smaller benches which seems to work out great. I keep one real clean for the finishing touches so nothing gets scratched or dinged.

I found that those cabinets with thin wide metal drawers are great for supplies and templates. The good stuff like fingerboards, guitar hardware, fretwire, inlay materials, and some small tools. I keep sandpaper only in one drawer too. So many types of it so it keeps it all together.

Get some kind of wide sander. My 16" is about the handiest thing ever. Makes tons of dust though, wow! Hopefully your cantral vac unit is killer. I should have bought a cyclone right off the bat. Had I known how fast those cartidges glog I would have.

Of course one can never have enough tools!

-Doug

Folks, thanks for the help. mledbetter, grizzly.com was agreat idea. I had been looking for something like that. I did some layouts of the shop and my office on it.

doug, yeah a downdraft table is in the works someplace along the line. It's interesting that you mention the big bench and cabinets with wide - thin drawers. I have a flat file cabinet thet is about 3 X 3 ft and about 3 ft high. I took that and mounted a solid core door on top with legs and casters at the end. Basically, I have an 8 or 9 drawer tool chest / storage bin with a 30 X 80" top, and the whole thing is movable. I know that it will get cluttered - everything in my shops becomes cluttered - but it is so great to work on that it will survive.

I have so much room that I hope to have several work stations with varying degree of dust protection. A drum sander is about the only thing I would spend significant $s on any time soon.

Thanks.

I'd bag the "use the central vac as a dust collector" idea and get a dust collector. The whole house vac will die a quick death and they're a whole lot more money than a Jet or Grizzly collector. One of my customers tried this in his garage shop and the poor sucker (the vac not him) died in about a month at a cost of about $700.00. The sales guy said it just isn't designed to pull that much stuff for extended periods.

I'd look at getting a decent 14" band saw with a riser kit. I know some guys who run small furniture shops and guitar shops with no table saw anymore. They rent saw time from me when they have something that is a tablesaw only job and I'm sure I'm not the only cabinet maker around who does this sort of thing for folks.

I saw someone discontinuing downdraft tables online. Either Grizzly or Wilke Machinery, can't remember which now.

I'd bag the "use the central vac as a dust collector" idea and get a dust collector. The whole house vac will die a quick death and they're a whole lot more money than a Jet or Grizzly collector. One of my customers tried this in his garage shop and the poor sucker (the vac not him) died in about a month at a cost of about $700.00. The sales guy said it just isn't designed to pull that much stuff for extended periods.

I was kind of worried about this too. You would probably be better off with even a small dust colector and a few blast gates.

I was kind of worried about this too. You would probably be better off with even a small dust colector and a few blast gates.

Guys,

Thanks for all the advice - especially about the dust collection. Good to find out now than later.

I completely agree.

One of the good things about planning it out is the ability to 'do it right' the first time, and using your central vac system is not 'doing it right'. I'm glad someone else pointed that out too.

Besides that, sounds great, congrats!

I completely agree.

One of the good things about planning it out is the ability to 'do it right' the first time, and using your central vac system is not 'doing it right'. I'm glad someone else pointed that out too.

Besides that, sounds great, congrats!

Drak,

I'm not going to worry about a finishing area, I'll just ship 'em to you OK :D

A good dust collection system is great to have. 14" Bandsaw w/ riser block will get a lot of use. A good drill press is very useful. Overhead routing table is very nice to have. Thickness sander saves a lot of time and keeps the dust down. Planers are nice, but bandsaw w/block and thickess sander will have you covered. A good jointer is very helpful. Good hand planes, spoke shaves, scrapers, carving chisels, and knifes. Hmm... there are so many tools that you could get the list could just go on. It is so much fun setting up shop though, new toys to play with!!!! We will have to meet up and go tool shopping, it would be fun showing you around my stomping grounds.

Peace, Rich

P.S. Tops on the way, out to see it tomorrow!!!