strat bodies from scratch...

hey all,

i'll soon be workin on cuttin my own bodies (as opposed to my own body..heh.), and i was wondering if there's a tool that's used to get the rounded sides of the strat. i'm assuming this isn't done by hand with files and rasps, etc...

i thought i read in a thread here that there's a tool that's essentially run around the perimiter of the body that takes care of it?

.... does that make ANY sense at all?

sully

edited for spelling...

i take the econo rout, and just use a ¼inch rounding bit with a bearing at the end like a flush trim bit. takes about 2 minutes to set up and do, but if you have a arm rest and chest carvings you'll have to do those sections by hand unless you wana mess around with adjusting the routers height like 20 times per pass..

but if you have a arm rest and chest carvings you'll have to do those sections by hand unless you wana mess around with adjusting the routers height like 20 times per pass..

right, i gotcha on that part. thanks!

sully

A belt sander works wonders there and on the arm rest as well as an osicilating spindle sander.

You just need to practice control a lot........... :D

ya, and remember you can always take more wood off if you need to, but you can't put it back on... well with the exception of wood filler and glue mixed with sanding dust.. but that's no good on transparent finishes.... so just take your time