Is Six Months Too Soon..

unclej

just had my first grandbaby sunday so i'm wondering if six months is too soon to give him his first custom made guitar? :D

I bought my wife's grandkids drums - their father is just now realizing he should have been more respectful as a teenager! :D When the oldest hits 4, he'll get his first axe (if he wants it) - until then, percussion fuels his love for music and loud noises, and driving his parents to distraction is just a serendipitous bonus!

sound advice as usual..'couse there's a real good chance that the question was just an opportunity to brag. :D

Guitar is so difficult for little hands. Maybe what would be cool is a little 3 string power chord guitar for tiny hands with a custom pickup. I might have to do that. My kid loves listening to old classic/hard rock.. boston, ac/dc, zz top, van halen.. anything with distortion and a beat and he's all over it.. couldn't have asked for much more in a kid :D

As for the drums.. You'd be surprised how young a kid can keep a beat. My oldest was playing 4/4 hihat and snare patterns at about 14 months.. At age 4, his legs are finally long enough and he can play the whole kit while I play guitar.. Of course, rhythm is in his blood.. my family has several musicians in it..

i bought my nephew's son a toy drum set at about 16 months and i was amazed at the natural two handed rhythm he was keeping to a song on the cd player. much more than a random beating on it to make noise.. he actually was keeping up with the song.

it would be nice to have another musician in the family. i have 4 brothers and 3 sisters and none of them play anything 'cept the radio.

i bought my nephew's son a toy drum set at about 16 months and i was amazed at the natural two handed rhythm he was keeping to a song on the cd player.  much more than a random beating on it to make  noise.. he actually was keeping up with the song.

it would be nice to have another musician in the family.  i have 4 brothers and 3 sisters and none of them play anything 'cept the radio.

If you hold the kids hands and show them the sticking patterns.. in a couple months they'll start doing it. Mine picked up a regular beat (basic 8th notes on HH and snare on 2 and 4) right away.. about the age of 3 he started listening and trying to emulate shuffles and other patterns.

I only believe in natural talent to some extent. I think most people have aptitude for music and rhythm, they just might not have had anyone work with them to encourage it. Like playing by ear.. to some it's a mystery, but i've talked a few people into doing it and one it clicks.. it's a total "ah ha" moment.. the simple concept of playing what you hear..

Kind of like art I guess.. Once people learn to draw what their eyes see, and not what their mind is interpreting it to be, people can draw pretty realistic looking pictures.

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only old fart arround here. (born 11/2/57)

well, old fart is a relative term..i was born in '46 so i guess i'm getting pretty close.

thanks lk. i'm off in about 10 minutes to go meet him for the first time.

I like the idea of the mini 3-string guitar! It would be very cool for him, too, or at least I imagine.

Above all else, teach him an appreciation for good music-- classical, jazz, rock, everything you can-- and the wish to make good music will come naturally. However, it's equally important to give him the means to make that music. Guitar, obviously, is a place to start, but if he ends up wanting to play bass, you have to accept it. I can just see the conversation when he's 16:

"Granddad, there's something I need to tell you."

"What is it?"

"Granddad... I want to play bass."

"Bass? Oh no! Is that really the choice you've made?"

"It's not a choice! I was born a bassist, and I can't deny who I am any longer!"

:D

I made a kalimba or finger-piano for each of my brides grandkids when they were about 18 months. It took a while but they all caught on and you could find them anywhere in the house by listening for the tinny little melody coming from their tiny little fingers. Her kids HATE me!

well, NEVER put too much pressure on the kid.

i've been through that... did Piano AND Violin courses+exams the same year...

since then i havent played either of these. Though now i'm on guitar, but it's for FUN, nothing else. :D

you should let him experiment different instruments (bass, guitar, keys, drums.....) and choose.

Edited by Pr3Va1L

well, NEVER put too much pressure on the kid.

i've been through that... did Piano AND Violin courses+exams the same year...

Seconded, I quit playing sax because of the pressure i got from my mum, it took the fun out of it, i havnt touched one in about 5 years. Let him choose what instrument he wants, then build it. But can you still build that power chord guitar for me :D In the shape of an SG please, in red. :D