Rgt-7 Ql Rbb

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For RGT I picked up a Coromandel Fretboard. I was toying with idea of using Rosewood or Ebony fretboard on RGT-7. Rosewood....as color would go nice with the future brown/redish tints in guitar. Ebony, for it's great wet-wood feel and classy looks.

As going through the piles at local woodshop and walking out with two Ebony Blanks.....I bumped into new shipment of unsorted wood. In this pile I found this Ebony type wood with the nice streaks of brown in them.

I asked he guys what it was and the said it was Coromandel, or Macassar Ebony. Also called Striped Ebony.

Not alot on google on the wood.

"A geniune Ebony wood with a density of 1000kg/m3. A close relative to the Macassar Ebony, streaky to jet black with very distinct sapwood seperation. This wood which is native to Indonesia/Malaysia was introduced by Luthier Jeffrey Yong and its results as a new tonewood has been getting very popular in the luthiery communities. Its grain figures can be more interesting than the BR and its tonal clarity is like the African Blackwood. It has tight interlocking grain."

"Sometimes called Striped Ebony, Macassar Ebony is a tight grained great sounding wood..."

" Macassar ebony is reported to be rare and is one of the most expensive timbers on the commercial market."

Funny thing was that Coromandel fret blank was half the price of Ebony blank, but in my view is twice as attractive.

I think it will look good on the guitar.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Got nice colored Coromandel fretboard back from local guitarparts vendor. They have slotted the fretboard for me.

Normally I order fretboards slotted from Lmii, and am very happy with result of their work. But as with this build I wanted to use 27" scale length Lmii couldn't provide me this. So I bought Coromandel board locally, and had local guitar builder parts vendor slot them. They were expense as ****, and that's okay, but I'm not overly enthusiastic about the quality of the work. So this was first and last. :D

In next coming days I will cut fretboard to size and get moving in this build again.

In mean time I have bought a Mahogany body blank and have taken Axxion design out. This is guitar I'm building for my brother. He's really digged this body style and begged me to build him one. What can you do, hey?....I love the kiddo. :D

Will be ESP Axxion with Ibanez Iceman twist

Axxion_mockup3.jpg

Working with all these light bodied Ash and Limba bodies, I was bit taken by weight of this sucker......it weighs a ton. :D Maybe we will still will loose some weight in the rest of the build, but I doubt it.

Also noticed Mahogany to be more sturdy then Limba and Ash. Swamp Ash was really like butter.....and my light weight Limba blanks were easy on the router......but this Mahogany needs bit of persuasion. B)

Edited by RGGR

• 6 months later...

Finally managed to get some work done on the RGT-7. I cut the Coromandel fretboard and test fitted it on the guitar. I think the streaks in the Coromandel go nicely with the guitar. I like the brown tints in the fretboard.

This weekend I cut two other RG bodies, one Mahogany, the other one Alder. This is the first time I work with Alder, but I have to say it's a nice wood to work with. Here are some pics. For Kodak purposes I put 540Pvii neck on Alder RG body.

CIMG3300.jpg

Mahogany RG will be turned into 7 like this (right one). This one will be called Cocaine. (Disclaimer: not promoting the use of illegal substances here!!!)

The other one will be called Darkside of the moon, it will also be a 7. Love the dark vibe of the picture.......

As bridges, I'm thinking of a Kahler 7 and a TOM-7. Just to have something different compared to all the Floyd type bridges floating around the house already. And Edge Lo Pro 7 is such a pain to get hold of ($$$$).

On both RG bodies I will shape the AANJ, the forearm contour, and the body contour in coming days......they will get a coat of primer and they will be parked till I finish some of my other projects.

Edited by RGGR

BTW, do you chose any color of them?

Yeah, black.

Someone on Jemsite pointed out to me that this,

r_rs02.jpg

and this guitar (right one) are both and the same guitar. Funny, that different lighting and can inspire me to make two slightly different guitars out of them.

But they will be black. I like black guitars.

The neckthrough will look like this (if I can pull this off)

P1010078.jpg

Not gonna cover up this quilted maple.

I like the color, dude.

I think that looks very sexy. On the back side, are you going to paint it, or go for satin finish?

BTW, on sevenstring.org some people was showing your work, and the people in the forum liked it. I invite you to join the seven string army :D

Frank.

• 2 months later...

Today I finished a job I have dreaded for a long time. Drawn up every excuse possible NOT to start installing the fretmarkers.

I was simply **** scared screwing things up.

In the end it was relative easy job. Very happy with the result.

CIMG3880.jpg

Process I used was pretty straight forward, and now I can't really believe I dreaded this so long.....but that's part of the fun of building....it's a never ending process of finding solutions for problems that present themselves....

I started out with laying out the fretmarkers on the fretboard, glueing them in place with a Pritt gluestick.

Measured everything 40.000 times....making sure everything was nice and square......using long ruler in the process.

Then I used some tape to mark out the position of the fretmarkers.......just placing tape right around the shell material in square type marking. I removed the fretmarkers, and with simple cheap handdrill I drilled 4mm holes in center of marked out areas. Then quick fit with actual shell fretmarkers to make sure the holes were deep enough. Slowly making them deeper......till everyting fitted nicely.

All in all 30 minutes layout and 10 minute drilling job. Now some clear epoxy 330 to glue everything in place.

Consider this a very fruitfull day. Seriously dreaded this for a while. :D

Edited by RGGR