Rgt-7 Ql Rbb

Okay, here we go. This guitar I fell in love with.

P1010078.jpg

But as always..... I wanted something different. And as I'm waiting to complete my JS-7.... I couldn't resist starting a second guitar.

Specs so far:

7 string, 24 frets, 27" scale length, limba wings, 5 piece laminate neck-thru Maple/Wenge, Cocobolo fretboard, Lo Pro 7 trem, SD J-7, 59-7 pups.

Started out with very light weight limba I pick-up from local wood supplier. They always have great supply of Limba and Wenge. :D

Next up was finding right maple & wenge laminates

Evil bay and Durawoods provided quilted maple top. There is light discoloration in maple.....but this doesn't affect top, as I will work around this. Durawood piece is currently in plane to arrive somewhere next week.

This is mock-up so far. Templates done.......Can't wait to get started.

RGTQLRBB_mockup.jpg

Oh, yeah, neck blank is glued up, but needs to be planed.

So far so good.

Edited by RGGR

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7string baritone? What will you tune that to?

1/2 step down.... with regular 9-54 strings.....

And here are some words from 'Maiden69' on 7 strings and Baritone out of previous thread. Cause the Baritone and extended scale length are sometimes mis-used. Not every baritone has to have extended scale length and vise versa. Or at least that's how I understand it.

A baritone is an instrument that will (usually) have a sound that is an octave lower than the original instrument, like violin got a baritone cousin, guitars do to. Is just an 6 string designed to be tuned B-B instead of E-E. The extended scale is used to maintain the string tension the same when using regular gauge strings.

Say tuning a 27 scale guitar B-B with 46-10 strings. But you can obtain almost the same results by using thicker gauge, 54-13 with a regular 25.5 neck. My 7 string is 25 scale and I got 54-10 strings and the tension is right on the money.

Granted you can tune a 27 or 30 scale to normal pitch, but the tension will be ridiculous on the 30, the 27 will be tight, but playable, and if you got any doubt about this, Perry Ormsby's 7 string is tuned B-E, and the owner loves it.

Hope this clears some doubts.

I personally think if you go for the home-built custom guitar....it should be something special. So that's why adopted for the 7 strings and the extended scale length.

I have been toying with extended scale length guitar for while......and decided this would be the guitar to put these ideas into practise.

You really love limba, don't you?

Not really actually. :D

Could have chosen Swamp Ash, Alder, Mahogany, or Basswood......as my local wood supplier has good supply of that too....... Last time it happened to be I was dragging a nice one piece Alder body blank through the warehouse.........and just before paying I decided to have look at Limba section.

And then they happen to have these very nice extremely lightweight Limba blanks (planed and ready to go......worm hole free!!!)...just waiting to be brought home with me.

Now I have to say that my local wood supplier keeps re-arranging the stuff all the time, and with new shipments coming and going....it's always bit of search to find what you are looking for.... part of fun going over there to begin with. As supply changes....it's best to once in a while stop by and have look......

Here is nice Wenge tree before being shipped.

stamwenge.JPG

Can't really explain why....... but in combo with long maple neck blank and thin Wenge laminates the guitar was taking shape before I knew it. Maybe the wood picked me instead of me picking the wood....who knows.

Alder can wait, I guess.

And promised myself not to buy anymore wood..... untill JS-7 is finished. Trouble is......if this guitar sounds anywhere close to I imagine it to be........I can tell you it won't be my last Limba body blank I pick-up.

So to answer your question......I don't really know if I love Limba......just happen to have access to it. :D

limba52.JPG

Edited by RGGR

Haha, Rggr looks we both feel in love with the same guitar man. I saw that on rich's site and was like man thats badass. I want to build a 7 string universe for my next project so im gonna keep a close eye on this one. Just glad your doing it first cause i dont know a whole lot about seven strings.

Hey all! This my First post! I have been Reading this forum with interest for a few weeks now and i am really loving the JS RGGR, I can maybe help you with your back plates for your JS, i work for a Guitar shop in the UK and i could call the distributor for ibanez UK and find out how long it would take to get them fo you. Where are you based?

I'm in Holland.

Trouble is...I'm not sure where the hold-up is. Serlui.nl is Dutch Ibanez distributor, and I'm not sure if trouble lies with them....or with Ibanez Japan.

All my local guitarshop can say is.......Noop, it's not there yet. We're sorry.

I have shot Serlui an email, last week, asking them about it. BUt they haven't responded yet. Somehow I get the feeling they don't like to deal with "customers" directly.

All-in-all not very great customer service.

I even have thought asking German Ibanez distributor......or guys like Rich Harris.

See the thing that is holding up my progress now is the JS cavity control plate #PT1R3B. If I had that one, I could finish guitar. Trem cavity plate I can lend (for template building purposes) from my RG 2550.

And thanks for liking my project. I know many of you are anxious to see this one finished. Well, I can tell you.........all of you combined aren't so stooked as I am.

I really wanna make great guitar.

But to answer your question. I would appreciate some input of how long it might take in some other countries. Thanks, mate.

Edited by RGGR

mmmm I like that wenge tree drool.gif drool.gif drool.gif

I knew you would say that. My local wood supplier mostly has very healthy supply of Wenge...... :D

I haven't used it on body though.... might go that route in future. Wenge is one of my favorite woods. It just has so much character. But I don't have to tell you. :D

mmmm I like that wenge tree drool.gif drool.gif drool.gif

I knew you would say that. My local wood supplier mostly has very healthy supply of Wenge...... :D

I haven't used it on body though.... might go that route in future. Wenge is one of my favorite woods. It just has so much character. But I don't have to tell you. :D

don't forget to use a mask when ur working with wenge. B) i've heard it's somewhat toxic.. is that true? :D

I'm in Holland.

Trouble is...I'm not sure where the hold-up is. Serlui.nl is Dutch Ibanez distributor, and I'm not sure if trouble lies with them....or with Ibanez Japan.

All my local guitarshop can say is.......Noop, it's not there yet. We're sorry.

I have shot Serlui an email, last week, asking them about it. BUt they haven't responded yet. Somehow I get the feeling they don't like to deal with "customers" directly.

All-in-all not very great customer service.

I even have thought asking German Ibanez distributor......or guys like Rich Harris.

See the thing that is holding up my progress now is the JS cavity control plate #PT1R3B. If I had that one, I could finish guitar. Trem cavity plate I can lend (for template building purposes) from my RG 2550.

And thanks for liking my project. I know many of you are anxious to see this one finished. Well, I can tell you.........all of you combined aren't so stooked as I am.

I really wanna make great guitar.

But to answer your question. I would appreciate some input of how long it might take in some other countries. Thanks, mate.

Cool, i will call the distributor tomorrow and if they have it in the country already then i could have it in a few days, if the dont then it will be the same sketch as you are in already.

:D

Just received Quilted Maple bookmatched set from Chuck at Durawoods. Quality of maple is really nice, and Customer Service from Chuck is great.

quilted_maple1.jpg

With pencil I marked out the areas needed for project. Note to myself - when cutting maple, leave room for overhang at the arm rest!!!!

When winning bid on Ebay, I asked Chuck to withhold the invoice from the package and declare item as product sample. This way I didn't have to pay 20% taxes and $10-15 handling fee from postal service.

I know suppliers are legally binded to put invoice in package.......but by going the extra mile, Chuck really made me a happy camper. Piece had to travel from US to Holland. Packaging was great.

Eh!...wait.....don't really want to promote him too much.....quality sucks, packaging is a mess, prices rediculeously high,no great selection, please shop somewhere else...can't recommend him.

* Wink Wink *

Edited by RGGR

Got neckblank planed today.

neckblank_planed1.jpg

What would be "best" way to make this neck-body transition? Dremel with small sanding drum???

neckbody_shape.jpg

As I have these quilted maple bookmatched pieces standing in my home office........they give off this fruity smell.......pregnating the place.....puts a smile on face. :D

Edited by RGGR

Hey RGGR do you have any more info on this guy http://dubaldomusic.com/Custom

And man it's looking good sofar :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D