Building your own amplifier

Matia

Hey all. Well last night I finally put my first "self Build" amplifier together and gave it the finishing touches. Its a 100W head with a completely custom 4 x 12 cab. It got me thinking... since were all into guitars here there isnt much about actually building a simple amplifier... So is anyone interested in knowing how? I have some plans for various designs including all the wiring diagrams which I'm quite happy to send to you brian if your interested in finding somewhere in the tutorial section for them? Also I'm looking at building an acoustic amp next which I'll do a short tutorial for if you like?

Just thought I'd test the waters... seems a shame were all building guitars and yet I found putting my own amp together a heck of a lot easier than building my first guitar!!! And at least its exactly the way I want it for the fraction it would cost to buy some of the high end amp's these days!!!!

cheers!

lee :D

Hey maybe you could give some pointers to me then, ive decided to try make a portable amp like the smokey amps if youve seen them ( very small amp and speaker etc in a fag packet ) can you give me some advice on what to get etc etc??? ive been looking at small premade amplifier boards etc.... just i would like some advice....... it is going to run off battery's aswell..

Its a 100W head with a completely custom 4 x 12 cab.

I've wanted to build something like that for a LONG while!! How does it sound? Where did you get the plans? oooooo, I have soo many questions.

• 8 months later...

i am currently building a 40-60 watt mosfet poweramp section and transistor / IC preamp section with bass mid and treble boost's and a threeband eq, for a very high gain dual distortion metal amp basically, and it all fits in a 7.5*4.5*2.5 chassis. or basically a hammond D box, i am taking pictures as i go if anyone wants to see the schematic or the pics i dont' have the websapce to host it, but would gladly send them out.

I just recently got back into building tube amps - I'm hoping to have mine finished in a couple of months. If you guys are looking for info on amp building, there are a few good sites that spring to mind:

AX84

18Watt.Com

Ampage

Before everybody gets too excited, there are some things you need to know. This ain't like building a stompbox - you'll need some basic electronics knowledge and fairly good electrical construction skills. Also, you're using some fairly expensive components at high current levels that make it really easy to fry them, and even solid state power amps have potentially lethal voltages present, so you have to be careful, especially around power supply caps. And even if you don't fry yourself or your power output stage on your first try, there's no guarantee it will work when you get through, and troubleshooting can be more fun than the actual building process. You probably can't build a good tube amp for twice what you can buy one for, but if you're looking for a specific sound (and know how to get it), you can make one cheaper than say a Carr or a Bad Cat. There are schematics all over the 'Net, so you won't lack for inspiration.

http://home.cfl.rr.com/dbhammond/doug.htm

lets not forget the firefly from ole doughammond, if you havent' checkd out his site man u need too killer tube amp for under 50 bucks depending on what parts you have