Ply Wood

i have a sheet of ply wood not sure what its made out of but its very nice. right now its about about 1/2 in think. what i want to do is sperate the top layers (the part that is very nicly figured and has tons of great looks ) and use it as a top either for my strat or a V im rebuilding (yeah i know every one hates Vs) so how can i sperate this peice of wood? do i saw it or can i just take it apart gentle?

No, no...everyone loves V's...in fact it wouldn't be GOTM without a couple of Vee's. I'm thinking that Brian should change the name from Project Guitar to Project V :D .

On topic...it can be quite hard to separate veneers on quality ply but if you can...it's just a veneer, if it looks good, use it!

psvv

No, no...everyone loves V's...in fact it wouldn't be GOTM without a couple of Vee's. I'm thinking that Brian should change the name from Project Guitar to Project V :D .

On topic...it can be quite hard to separate veneers on quality ply but if you can...it's just a veneer, if it looks good, use it!

psvv

Personally I would plane it . Till it was down to some thickness like 1/8". But it may end up being hard on your planer edges. Thickness sander? even better.

But there really is no substitute for real wood.

No planing or sanding because he wants to keep the outside laminate(s). How many layers in between the outer laminates? I would try to split it in half with hammer and wood chisel. Work all around the edges very carefully to avoid any splitting and cracking of the outside layers. Then use a long knife to split further in. Once you've got your 2 pieces THEN plane and sand away whats left of the inside laminates. When you are done wet the pieces down and lay a flat sheet of heavy ply on top with some weight evenly distributed all around. then wait about a week.

Edited by Southpa

I think all of the above suggestions are great and you may wish to go with one of those but if this were my project I would just buy a nice peice of veneer. Their not all that expensive. And I know that you may want to use it just because you have it and you have the option too but in my opinion the time it would take to get the peices you want out of that plywood is not worth it. In the end I think you will get a better result if you just bite the bullet and buy a well figured peice of veneer.

Edited by duo2

it would be way easier just to go buy a new chunk of nicely figured wood but i relly likemthe figureing on this peice. it has nice tight coloring and if i put it together just right and got out the aire brush i could make it look like fire is inside the wood (air prush very light trans reds yellows and oranges) but im taking all suggestions right now.

as for building a V ive had this v for about 5 years i got it at a pawn shop for $50 and it came with a V shaped hard shelled case.

and my next project which is the one i stared first is rebuilding a coral hornet but its made of poplar and new hard ware is a pain to get for it.

Like I said in my previous post if you want to rip into that plywood by all means do. If you love the figure that much then deffinitley go for it. If you can do it successfully it will leave you with a much greater sense of accomplishment in the end rather then if you were to buy a peice of equally figured veneer. If you do decide to go through with it keep us posted on the progress and please post pics if possible.

No planing or sanding because he wants to keep the outside laminate(s).  How many layers in between the outer laminates?  I would try to split it in half with hammer and wood chisel.  Work all around the edges very carefully to avoid any splitting and cracking of the outside layers.  Then use a long knife to split further in.  Once you've got your 2 pieces THEN plane and sand away whats left of the inside laminates.  When you are done wet the pieces down and lay a flat sheet of heavy ply on top with some weight evenly distributed all around.  then wait about a week.

I've split a piece of plywood like that before. I used a number of different chisels, a wide spatula (normally for repairing sheet rock), and a hammer. It worked pretty well actually.

You should be able to sheer off the top layer. Take your time, obviously. You may need to have one screwdriver or spatula left in place to hold what you've done apart and use anther with the hammer to tap it appart more.

For what it's worth, I had to do this to install my new oven. The cabinets on either side were about 1/4" too thick, so I had to split the ply wood to open it up enough to drop the new unit in place. :D