Heel On Bolt On?

Im building my jem neck and im rounding it over when i realize that i cut the whole thing flat and thin, with no extra wood for the heel of the neck. Does the heel matter? I mean technicly it still bolts on, i will just have to route my body to accept the small heel of the neck. I dont know, i just hope i didnt screw up this neck, i already went through one piece of flamed maple cause i screwed up and i dont want to go through a piece of birdseye too.

I'm not experienced in this but you might have to put a shim if the heel is not flat, flat as in not parallel to the body. Or like you said you could rout the neck pocket deeper at the bottom, and shallower at the top to compensate for this. I am unsure of the problems associated with having a rounded heel, others will know more. You should be able to make it work, it just might not be as stable as a squared heel. But also think if it's worth doing this to a body and risking if it will work or not, because it would probably be permanent and any replacement would have to be exactly the same, it might just be better to start a new one, or try to glue some scraps onto it and reshape it. Again I not the best to ask but thats my opinion. Good luck and let us know if it works out or not. Jason

did you round it over all the way to the end..where the heel should be...or did you catch yourself in time?

dont see how ya did it, cos the way most do it is start at the heel and at the headstock, and then work into the middle, well if only part of it is done, thenu can bolt into the back, shim the front then bolt into that, may also want to drill smaller pilot holes just for good measure

Edited by where's the beef???

the reason that i asked about whether or not you'd started rounding it over is that it will be next to impossible to get the neck to set flat into the neck pocket. you know, round neck in flat pocket. i'm afraid that you may have to start over from scratch from the info that you've given.

hope i'm wrong and that someone will come along with a miracle cure but i don't see it..sorry.

First off, we need pictures to really tell what's going on here. What I would suggest is that you level the heel area so it's flat again, then glue another piece of wood to it, then finish shaping the heel as you like. If you don't get it flat, then when you glue the heel wood on, you'll still have a rounded edge in the middle.. lol And that just won't look right. If I've misunderstood what your talking about, then just ignore anything I've said.. lol

I cant flatin it down cause its the edge not the center of the heel thats rounded. I dont nkow, in those warmoth pics to me it looks like the edges of those heels are rounded a little and arent just a screw edge. What pisses me off is it wasnt me who did, it was my teacher, i asked him for the rasp and he grabed my neck put it down and started just rasping cause he wanted to see if i need a different one. Then he started at the wrong end, and messed up my heel.... *sigh* guess i will just have to find a way to fix it. Is there a router bit i could use and run across the bottom of the neck pocket to make it accept a rounded edge instead of a straight?

Show us a pic willya........this is all very confusing. That Warmoth neck has perfectly square bottom heel. Top of heel is rounded a bit. Strat style. That's all

As your teacher f*cked up.....maybe he should get his camera out, and shoot some pics for you.

As you say he started rasping at wrong end......you mean he just took rasp to neck and filed nice round edge on it, where otherwise the square heel should have been.

Questions now are....how far of a round did he do, and how far up your neck did he go.

If he didn't go far........

1. route bottom of heel off.....glue on new piece, square it off.

2. route off round edge and glue in new square piece

3. ??

If he rounded it off to far.......I'm not so sure what you should do.

But posting pics is the anwser....now it's mearly a guessing game.

• 2 weeks later...

not as bad as i thought.... as long as there is a flat surface u can bolt it with no trouble, u just lost the corners, the way u described it was like u completely rounded over, ie. no flat bit, just go from where u are supposed to then just bolt on normally

luke

:D:D