Neck Thru Iceman/parker Fly/006 Hybrid

RIGHT Update. I ordered some Black Limba from Rich and it should be with me next week sometime. Today i recieved my order from Craft Supplies I got:

1/2 inch Birdseye Maple x 2

1/2 inch Paduak x 1

1/4 Wenge x 2

1/4 Bubinga x4

I dont need all this but i got free delivery if my order was over £100

I plan to use the Paduak, maple and wenge for this neck

DSC00002.jpg

As you can see i also bought a nice big bottle of Titebond and a 1/2inch round microplane (this is awesome)

Tomorrow i am going to spend all day getting these blanks in a state were i can glue them up.

This is the order of neck lams in the photo. There all 48x2 inchs.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, everything you've gotten so far looks really good! And it seems like you have mostly all the tools involved. Are you going to angle the headstock, or are you going to recess it and put the carbon rods all the way through the headstock? Also have you decided what the orientation of your tuners, 6 inline, 3x3, 4x2 or will that be decided after you find out what shape you will use? Good luck and keep up with the progress pictures! Jason

Im still not sure about the headstock design. Does anyone have drawings of the Iceman Headstock?

No drawings of the headstock that I've seen...I've posted some pics of some icemen on Jester's Thread:

Jester's Iceman Project

The centre 'man is pretty much face on and includes the headstock. Notice that this is an unusually long angled back headstock...not sure if it will suit your hybrid design...there's a link to the Iceman Website on that post also that will give you more pics...

good luck...nice wood BTW... :D

pete

B) Maybe...you know I like the original.... :D ...anyway, I'd definitly go for a 3 a side, semi-symetrical shape with those neck laminate woods...the 6-a-side always looks weird to me with the straight lines of the laminates being crossed by the angles of the tuners..if you get my drift!

pete :D

• 2 weeks later...

i was orignally going to use maple for the main part of the neck but thing Craft Supplies didnt have any so i ordered Pau ferro, this arrived and it was shaped like a banana! So i now need to get some other stuff. Any you UK guys know of anywhere else than i can call up and order neck laminates?

Hey, I know you said you order some wood from Rich, and I read that he said he will be doing neck laminates soon, so maybe if you can't find a decent dealer in UK you could give Rich(fryovanni) a pm. I bet that he could help you out with what you need. Good luck and post some more pics of your progress, it sounds like its going well so far. Good luck! Jason

Tonight i got the fingerboard taper done, i used a little jig i made to keep it all straight, see the link at the bottom of the page to see it. you can see some maple binding at the side that i dont know if i should use on this build. Opinions?

DSC00038.jpg

I cant seem to find out much about the standard or excepted way to do it, maybe its just not clear to me!

Anyone got pics of there jigs or methods?

• 3 weeks later...

Right i aint posted in a while but i still have been busy on this project. With what happened this week on here i thought i better get some stuff up.

fingerboard2.jpg

Thats after i just glued in the Dots with epoxy.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b325/gem...at/DSC00007.jpg

This is after i fitted the binding which is maple btw. I have already radiused the board as the dust from the ebony would have gotten on to the maple and spoiled it if i had of done after i aplied the binding.

I'm getting there!

Wow it's turning out great. What kind of inlays are they? Abalone or maybe some mop? Also are you going to do side dots? I really like the maple binding! It will look really nice like that, are you doing the headstock with the same binding? A venner and the binding would look great, so what are you going to do in that area. Really cool project so far, can't wait to see it finished. Good luck with the rest, and keep us updated with progress and pics. Later Man! Jason

Here is another little update, i still aint got round to actually freting this board yet but i have managed to get the binding on got it to follow the radius of the board, i have used a few coats of tung oil on the maple to stop bleeding from the ebony making it all dirty and horrible! I still need to clean out the fret slots for the tenth time and then get down to fretting it, i am really pleased about how it turned out so far.

000_0051_1.jpg

Just a little update here is the fingerboard just before i fret it.

000_0140copy.jpg

and

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b325/gem.../000_0051_1.jpg

Ebony with Maple binding, i have put a few coats of tung oil on the maple to stop bleeding from the ebony. If you wanna make a fingerboard quickly dont use maple for binding!

I have busy with a lot of repairs recently and ain't had much time to work on it. Will do soon

Graham

• 1 year later...

iceman.jpg

I love the Fly and the Iceman, I went with the Iceman more because I cant afford a Fly.

Just put a IC200 in suburst (like the picture that psw posted) on layby . I think I got a good price. $639 Austrlian Dollars.

Also just out of curiosity could you please also email those fly and iceman outlines/templates at ulithiba@hotmail.com

Thanks

-Dream

Also if anyone has a 1:1 template or even an outline of a Parker Fly can they please send it to me, Im trying to build a lookalike body to use with an old bass neck that I have to make a fly bass.

Edited by DreamSeller

Also if anyone has a 1:1 template or even an outline of a Parker Fly can they please send it to me, Im trying to build a lookalike body to use with an old bass neck that I have to make a fly bass.

Register at MIMF.com, browse their library. There's an outline/template for a Fly there.