My Designs And Stuff

I started gathering up tools and materials to build my first guitar, but just as i was getting the last of it together i found my self without a job. so since i dont have any guitars to share, i thought i'd share my ideas/ ddesigns, and see what you guys think. my plans for my first guitar are an eipihpone V with a poplar body (some cheap stuff i found) and maple neck with a pre radiused and slotted ebony fingerboard. in addition to that, im planning on adding somthing that should give it a little bit more stlye, i saw this dowling on the les pauls that steven mcswain (mc swain guitars, e)made for P.Exter blue from deadsy a pic i want to do that on my V only i want it a little bigger, and its going to be black with green dowling. even though i barley got started on that project with all the free time i had i was able to think up plans for 2 more, the second will be a 5 string les paul bass with a halloween gothic (bats and spooky tress) theme. and the third is a completely origonal design that i drew in flash, keep in mid that it is not perfect yet, and it its only a line drawing and is not even close to in any scale...

c2.jpg (i tried to make sure that it was under 600 pixles on any side, but it still looks a little big to me) this one will proabably be a guitar first, and if i get that to work a bass. the firs one i talked about will definatly get done, but the second 2 i don't even have definate plans made yet

Edited by drinkchoglit

I don't know where you are from but it is quite easy to get a sponsor in the form of a regional music store to front the cost of an "exclusive" locally made axe. Ask around. All they can say is no. Or, heck, yes!

dude, i have never made a guitar before, i dont think it would be that easy to get someone to give me money to make a guitar when i have had absolutly no experience. but thanks for the suggestion.

edit: oh yeah, and in 2 weeks i should know if i have a job that i went for a second interview for today, if that works out, the building should start in the next few months

Edited by drinkchoglit

:D

I don't know where you are from but it is quite easy to get a sponsor in the form of a regional music store to front the cost of an "exclusive" locally made axe. Ask around. All they can say is no. Or, heck, yes!

IT IS?????...where are you from doc???...why would they want to sponsor your private axe???...still interesting idea...I wonder how you'd sell it to them...HMMMMMM :D

yeah, ive been into my local music shop, and was talking to the guy who owns it, i told him i have built 2 and am currently building another, i showed himt the 2 i had made, and he said if at time i need some publicity or i want to hang the guitar in-store i can, he even said he would recomend me to any1 asking about custom made guitars, i thought it was very nice of him.

its that easy, and psw im in brizzy so if it can happen here, then most cerntainly down there

If you have a viable plan, which you do, you take it in and find out what they sell or can get for the project and ask them if they would like to promote an in-store exclusive axe. They provide the materiels that they can, you supply the labor and talent. They get to put it in the front window as an exclusive and use it in advertising. It is actually quite cheap for them as advertising needs a "catch" to work. Players from all over will want to come in and see this one-of-a-kind beast. It works, I tell ya! Eventually you do get to play it, sell it, whatever. But for now, you don't need to come up with all the cash.

this pic here that u posted in the first post:

r3exeter13.jpg

does anybody know how the blue around the sides was done, what material, how it was attatched, any affect on the tone.

Thanks,

Charlie G

on steven mcswain's web site he said it is "3/8" doweling that was painstakingly cut(86 peices), and recessed..." and thats all i know about it. it was probably glued on.

EDIT: go to www.mcswin guitars.com, and it's in the blade and paint section. there is a picture of an old guitar he made for the same guy thats exactly the same, only maroon and white

Edited by drinkchoglit

If you have a viable plan, which you do, you take it in and find out what they sell or can get for the project and ask them if they would like to promote an in-store exclusive axe. They provide the materiels that they can, you supply the labor and talent. They get to put it in the front window as an exclusive and use it in advertising. It is actually quite cheap for them as advertising needs a "catch" to work. Players from all over will want to come in and see this one-of-a-kind beast. It works, I tell ya! Eventually you do get to play it, sell it, whatever. But for now, you don't need to come up with all the cash.

I've never heard of that. Have you done this? The closest that I have done to that is consign instruments. I've also heard of stores buying the instrument from you when it's done, then selling at a mark up, but never heard of them sponsoring, or supplying materials.

yeah, ive been into my local music shop, and was talking to the guy who owns it, i told him i have built 2 and am currently building another, i showed himt the 2 i had made, and he said if at time i need some publicity or i want to hang the guitar in-store i can, he even said he would recomend me to any1 asking about custom made guitars, i thought it was very nice of him.

its that easy, and psw im in brizzy so if it can happen here, then most cerntainly down there

That's not the same thing as getting sponsored. Is that store giving you money to build guitars, buy wood, tools, etc?

Why would a store take a chance on someone they know nothing about and has never built a guitar before? If the guitars are awful, they'll be associated with them.

If you have a viable plan, which you do

I'm sorry, I don't mean to jump all over this but, viable plan? It's a picture! You can't even call it a design since there are no dimensions attributed yet. Plus, it's a niche market guitar style. Nothing that would ever sell well in the mainstream, which is what most business strive to target.

My advice to aspiring "builders" is to build. Build a guitar and then build another and then another. Get experience building guitars so you can build a quality instrument.

THEN, come up with an original design. Those are very rare in this game. If building quality guitars was so easy that someone who's never built one can get sponsored so "easily" there wouldn't be only a handful of major manufacturers.

THEN, come up with an original design.  Those are very rare in this game.  If building quality guitars was so easy that someone who's never built one can get sponsored so "easily" there wouldn't be only a handful of major manufacturers.

And now most of those major manufacturers are a part of Fender.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

Plus, it's a niche market guitar style.  Nothing that would ever sell well in the mainstream, which is what most business strive to target.

you definitely have a point there. i wasn't thinking "will this guitar sell" when i was drawing it, i was thinking "dose that look cool to me", and besides this guitar is probably not gunna get built any time soon. there are gunna be several guitars that i build in front of this one, because i want to be sure i can handle normal guitars before i start attempting out of the ordinary guitars.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to jump all over this but, viable plan?  It's a picture!  You can't even call it a design since there are no dimensions attributed yet.

and you did have a point with this one until i spent a few hours yesterday deciding the final dimensions and placment of the hardware/electronics. :D

I guess you people haven't bought much advertising. It is better if it is non-mainstream, one-of-a-kind and even wierd. That is the attraction. How many of you would drive 30 miles to see the new Squire Tele model with white pickups? The only reason you don't see this as a legit pursuit is cause you never done it! There you go again with them negative vibes, man! (Country-music in the background over EV horns) Woof, woof.

No, never had to cause I got money. Poochy and my grandaughter each got a $600.00 debit with the local emporium to build "women's axes with attitude". They showed up with their ideas twice and it was a done deal. Only thing was the parts had to come from FRC, the store, and the store got to use them in promos for six months. Like I told them, you don't know till you ask and don't plan for failure.

Plus, it's a niche market guitar style.  Nothing that would ever sell well in the mainstream, which is what most business strive to target.

you definitely have a point there. i wasn't thinking "will this guitar sell" when i was drawing it, i was thinking "dose that look cool to me", and besides this guitar is probably not gunna get built any time soon. there are gunna be several guitars that i build in front of this one, because i want to be sure i can handle normal guitars before i start attempting out of the ordinary guitars.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to jump all over this but, viable plan?  It's a picture!  You can't even call it a design since there are no dimensions attributed yet.

and you did have a point with this one until i spent a few hours yesterday deciding the final dimensions and placment of the hardware/electronics. :D

I wasn't taking a shot at your design. I was question doctor's "idea". I'm glad you spent time developing it though.

Good luck.

No, never had to cause I got money. Poochy and my grandaughter each got a $600.00 debit with the local emporium to build "women's axes with attitude". They showed up with their ideas twice and it was a done deal. Only thing was the parts had to come from FRC, the store, and the store got to use them in promos for six months. Like I told them, you don't know till you ask and don't plan for failure.

So you've never done it. I have money too. That's your excuse for not doing it?

And what's a debit? They got store credit? That's hardly like getting sponsored or funded by a guitar shop to develop and build a model.

And no, I wouldn't drive 30 miles to see a Tele but then again I wouldn't drive 30 miles to see a guitar because it's weird, much less buy the damn thing.

I wasn't taking a shot at your design.  I was question doctor's "idea".  I'm glad you spent time developing it though.

Good luck.

i know , i didn't take any offence to any of your comments. thanks, i'll need the luck if making a playable guitar your first time around is as difficult as everyone says it is :D