New Guitar Project - Sable

Well, though I am not as industrious nor as talented as majority of you on this board, being that I am buying all of my parts pre-made, I will be starting on my second guitar build project this week.

My first build I did 3-4 years ago, I bought the parts and had someone else paint it. I just basically assembled it. This time, I will attempt to paint it myself.

I am set to receive my parts from Warmoth this Thursday. It is a VIP carved top, hollow alder with flame maple top body. The neck is the Warmoth Pro 25 1/2" scale maple neck with an ebony fret board. I will be using the Seymour Duncan SH-2 Jazz neck humbucker and the SH-4 JB bridge humbucker and a Fishman VS-50P Wilkinson Piezo Tremolo.

For the finish, I am going for the satin black look. I will be using the John Deere Blitz Black paint for this. I found out about this paint while reading a bunch of auto paint forums. I have already done a test piece of maple with the paint and it looks like it will be just what I need.

I will be posting updates as I go along of the progress with pictures for those interested.

Edited by ElGringo

This might be a dumb question but is the paint transparent? If it isn't then why did you go with a flame maple top?

I was waiting for that question. I asked myself the same Why get a figured wood if your just going to paint over it? Basically because that is the "least expensive" wood options for the carve-top that Warmoth offered. If I could of chose a simple wood for it, I would have (maybe if I had asked them, they probably could). I just liked the shape and look of the guitar. All the woods offered for this body have interesting grains.

About the flame: there's a US strat in the local shop, and from a distance you'd think it was a solid color (greyish/burgundy...makes an ugly guitar even uglier)...

But when you get up close, you discover you can still see the grain....looks quite nice, actually.

So as long as you have some fancy flamed maple on there, why not make your satin black transparent/translucent like that?

I'm not a big fan of fancy grained wood guitars, I prefer color...transparent color is a good compromise, I think, has a distinguished, understated quality to it that plain wood grain guitars don't have.

I have made a little progress on my new guitar. You can see the progess so far by following the link below.

Here is a preview pic of the body I received.

01-body-front.jpg

You can see more pictures along with a description of the process by going HERE.

Just click on the SABLE link on the navigation menu along the left of the website to see this project.

Thanks!

I have updated the progess of my project on My Webpage. Just click on SABLE in the navigation menu to see the progress so far.

Little bit of a learning process with the sanding sealer, so I had to back up and re-do some of the steps. I am now back to the primed stage and after a little bit of sanding, I should be able to start spraying the finish coats.

05-primed-f.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Maybe that's part of the graphic and it just looks raised. If it is raised and if he puts enough clear on it, it will disappear.

I think that's the blue 2 that was on the decal but disappeared next to the black?

I think some of what you are seeing is the blue '2'. But there is a very, very slight ridge along the bottom left of the 'Custom' logo. I may put a few more clear coats on it to make it go away.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I have made some progress (no pictures posted yet) on "Sable".

I pretty much have it all together, and now I am trying to setup the neck and bridge.

I am getting some buzz with the strings and I think I am beyond my element here to get it setup like I should. Too many other things going on the devote the time needed to do this properly myself.

So, can anyone recommend a good tech (not to expensive, either) in the Houston, Texas area for setting up the neck? The frets don't seem too out of whack to me, by putting a straight edge on them, but what do I know. So not sure if it needs some fret dressing or not. Or if it is juat a matter of adjusting the truss rod, bridge saddle height, etc.

So any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!