Unique Flying V, With Strat Elecronics

hey, as a result of some suggestions i had in other posts, i will keep all the info on this project in one forum.

I am planning to post some pictures tonight when i get home, because they are on my camera. the basic idea is to have a through neck, with 2 flying v style wings, and strat electronics and bridge incorparated.

heres a basic picture:

DT-Guitaridea.jpg

I have already glued the wings on with epoxy glue. and will be routing out the cavities this week or the week after.

As i have already said i will post links to the pictures i have already taken of the work so far.

also if anybody has some templates that they could post links to so i can print them off and create my own templates out of MDF or some other type of wood or acrylic, that would be greatly appriciated.

Charlie G :D

if it was mine, i would have the wings be longer, to the square, it dont look like much wood behind the trem there

Curtis

there may be the option of making the wings longer by metal folding parts, of which i will post sketches of tonight:D

also, how much wood does there need to be behind the trem?

Charlie G

Well, obviously this one is up my alley....

But there's a couple of issues with this

One, how are you going to deal with balance? Looks like that's going to be awful neck heavy... you might want to experiment with where you place your strap knobs.

Two, the problem with not having much wood behind the trem may also make it uncomfortable to play --depends on whether you like to rest your forearm or not.

It will indeed be neck-heavy when strapped on, and near impossible to play sitting down.

Yeah, I should have mentioned that too. That's a big problem with the Bocaster (and I imagine with a teardrop guitar too). Still, if you put a rubber skid strip on the edge that will rest on your leg, it shouldn't be too bad. You can also consider contouring that edge , that might help

Ya know This Is what I think would look cool

http://www.edromanguitars.com/avail/guitar/lsr/lsr_012.jpg

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Well I do think you've got some design issues here...I hope you haven't gone to far in the construction phase otherwise the advice will be mute...

I have already glued the wings on with epoxy glue. and will be routing out the cavities this week or the week after.

You seem to have made it a hollow body which will only serve to make the neck seem heavier...is this "body" then made of plywood?

Also...the most obvious thing that struck me was the headstock...with those points coming out the side, how will there be room for the A & B tuners...banjo heads perhaps. It also looks a bit ornamental for such a plain guitar and if the idea is to make it compact so you can practice in the back seat of the car...that pointy end will take a sibling's eye out...

Design wise I'd opt for an easier and more practical shape that echo's the body and you want a straight string path to the tuners if you're going to do much trem work...even if it means making the head a little longer...

Check out !!Metal MATT!!'s link to that steinberger like little V. Now you may think that the V's fins just add extra length but in fact they serve to counterbalance th neck, give your right (picking arm) forearm some support (a lot more important than you might think for comfort and picking accuracy) and the V cut at the back allows you to brace the guitar over your right leg (fins either side of the right thigh) in a kind of classical posture for playing sitting down...

Now, some would say a V is not designed to be played sitting down which is cool except this design would be neck heavy. The significance of a neck heavy guitar is that your left (fretting hand) not only has to form chords and manipulate singlenote runs...it has to hold the neck up from falling towards the floor!!!!!! A neck heavy guitar can normally be compensated for by pressure from the right forarm (though not ideal for you're technique) but in your design that's not an option due to the small body size and the bridge being set up at the back of the body.

Steinberger's guitar works because it removes the weight of the headstock and tuners from the end of the neck and counterbalancing this significantly lighter neck with a very solid tuning bridge mechanism.

Many still find the design uncomfortable to play as the whole guitar sits far back to the right of the guitar forcing your right forearm out from your body, accentuating the lack of support that the body offers. As a result Steinberger now offers more conventional body shapes to address the issue...it's not simply a matter of acceptance of the compact body of his original concept.

It works better on the bass BTW as the whole picking style is different and does not rely on palm muting and the longer scale means that you are picking more towards the centre of your body. The bass was the original idea for this type of guitar and the six string developed from it.

Now...your original idea of folding wings or fins would be ideal for addressing many of these issues. With wings folded back you'd gain counterbalance and forearm support...folded in it would be compact for travelling...The V would be ideal for creating such a design due to it's parralel sides.

Anyway...I'm not trying to dis' the design...but... I'm aware that this is a project for school and will be judged on it's design merits probably more than it's execution so you'd get important bonus credit if you were to incorporate such design elements that address such issues and point them out in your presentation...

best of luck...psw :D

thanks for your replies so far, the guitar is a solid body electric and i was thinking of putting a sort of grove in the body for my leg, and with the folding sides, my original i dea was to have metal bars as such you can see on my msn space. my new idea may be something like this. it is a guitar which mattw04 made this here

also does anybody know where i can purchase a smokey amp or simillar product in sydney australia.

And the head stock was something i was just thinking of, now i am thinking of a smoother design which i will post up soon.

sorry i havent posted pics yet, my computer died and i am having to use the one in the school libary.

k thanks

charlie G

Edited by Chalig

:DHappy to help you out....here's some of your pics...

foldV1.jpg

Now I see the whole idea it's a lot more appealing...I thought you'd dropped the folding aspect...but I see you haven't...this may well address some of my concerns about balance and playability, etc... :D

Perhaps a more traditional V head would work best and be easier to do but there's a few good options...

You may like to consider a folding leg rest on the bottom of the V like Steinberger and others have used to stop it sliding off...you can see one folded up on that headless V posted by !!MM!! earlier in that link...folded up to the body...just a thought...

On the smokey amp...check out the latest stuff on my Sustainer Ideas Thread in the electronics section and check out Runoffgroove for more info on the Ruby amp and others. I wondered whether you had considered putting an onboard amp in this thing...the sustainer circuitry is basically that but with a driver rather than a speaker...

If you PM or Email me I can give you some other tips for electronics that's a bit more local...there will be a bit of soldering I'm afraid but I have done a bit on sourcing kits and such for the sustainer project that might be of use...and local... :D ... B)

Anyway...hope I can help...and the concept is looking better from this pic...anyone else think so, have any suggestions???

psw / pete (Melbourne, Australia)

i got a smokey amp off ebay from a place called rock-lite amplifiers, i think they were either in NSW or VIC.

cheers

darren

My Guitar!:D

MVC-315F.JPG

Here are some links to photos that i have taken today in the workshop:)

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4

Photo 5

Photo 6

Photo 7

Photo 8

Photo 9

Photo 10

Enjoy, and feel free to comment

Charlie G

EDIT: sorry about the size of the photo, i don't know how to reduce it:S

Edited by Chalig

IS this neck from stewmac?

Yeah mate, i got it from there a couple of weeks ago. it cost a hell of a lot in shipping and customs to australia, dammit. added 1/3 to the price.

but yea its an ausome neck, so good to work with, and such good quality.

also the service from stewmac and dhl was amazing, i could track my package the whole way and i had it delivered to my school.

neway, what do u guys think of my efforts so far, any ideas/comments

thanks,

Charlie G

How you gonna play very high points?

i am thinking of curving out the tops of the v with a router, to be able to reach them. u do mean the top frets yea?

• 2 weeks later...

hey, sorry i havent posted for a while, i was on cadet camp. i gotta jet now, but i will post in about 15 hrs after some sleep, catch u guys later

Charlie g

Another very interesting guitar!

I just wanted to ask if you were planning on angling the bridge pickup the way the drawings show or the way that strats normally angle them (they are backwards from eachother)? If you're going with the drawings, just curious what the reasoning is for this?