Acoustic guitar project

Long time, no post.

The last few months were somewhat hectic with not much guitarstuff on my mind, but now I finished my studies and it's summer vacation!! So time for a new project :D

Some time ago I had a little accident with my first acoustic (cheapo guitar really) and I'm planning to repair the damn thing.

further info can be found on my website:

http://www.ghesqij-guitarsite.tk/

For a direct link go here

Cheers,

Joten

amazing how the fretboard popped off clean huh?

Just be careful about your bridge height in regards to neck rake, make sure your string angle will still remain about 25 to 30 degree's over the saddle.

The carbon rods should provide ample stiffness, but with a steel string, personally I'd just put a hot rod from stew mac into the neck with access at the headstock.

So you're doing a solid color finish on it, it appears yes?

At the start I was considering of installing a truss rod (hot rod), but I came to the conclusion that all rod's are too long to fit the (short) neck and I would encounter problems near the neck joint. (it's a very cheap and poorly constructed guitar, it's not even a dovetail neck joint).

I also thought of the idea of making a single acting truss rod myself, just like I did for my seven string, but I dumped that idea because I don't want to invest too much time/work in the project.

So I went with the carbon fibre rods.

But instead of routing two narrow channels for the reinforcements, I laminated the reinforcements with a piece of hardwood (meranti). (I updated my website with additional pics)

This results in a very stiff bar. I even stood on it and it bends less than 0,5 mm in the middle. (the bar is 300 mm long)

I don't know the long term effect on the neck, but if it doesn't work out it's not that bad (remember it being a 13 dollar guitar) :D

It's really odd that the guitar broke along the glued joints (fretboard and scarf joint). It's like the glue became brittle through the years. B)

you can also clearly see that the glue wasn't spread out evenly.

Thanks for the tip on the string angle over the saddle. I'll remind that.

The color will be black matte. No rosette, inlay or anything, just plain black.

Cheers,

Joten

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
hey joten i am curious.you say you stood on the laminated carbon fibre rods and it bent less than .5 mm.was that with your full weight?

Full 70 kilograms!!

Acoustic guitar project finished!!

More info and pictures can be found on my website:

http://www.ghesqij-guitarsite.tk/

Direct link (scroll down)

She plays better than ever before. She's not perfect, but she never was :D

But she's more than I ever dreamed of. Let's not forget it's a cheapo guitar.

I invested about 100 Euro to do all the mods (hardware included)

Cheers,

Joten

Hey GhesQi J, what did you do with that 7 string you made? Do you still have it? Was it based on any other guitar because I've seen a picture (from Guitar World) of Munky or Head from Korn playing a guitar that looked the exact same as yours. Same colour, same hardware, same inlay, same everything!

[Edit]: Never mind. I just checked your website. Doh!

hello there

hey GhesQi J, i just want to say your Blue and White is a fine piece of craftmanship, and has inspired me to make own axe. i found your website very informative. i know this has nothing to do with the topic, i am just admiring your work.

Page.

• 4 weeks later...