Weird Oscillating Sound From My 74 Strat

DocG

Hello, Can some give me some assistance. The low E string of my Fender 74 strat is oscillating when played. It has like a vibro sound to it (it wavers). I have tried new strings, different amps, new cords, and everythin short of taking the guitar apart.

I wanted to know if anyone had heard of this problem and what I should try first. I have the pickguard off and I am ready to replace anything that I need to. Also it does this sound on everypickup. It is only noticable on the low E played open or any opsition.

Thanks.

maybe that the pickup is hearing a tremolo spring?? try to dampen the springs with your hand and see if that stops it.

Excellent idea. I tried it and still have the vibro sound. Could a cap or wiring issue cuase it to do this?

Thanks for the input.

my first thought was the pickup height as well..you might try lowering any one of them then turn just that one on and see if it eliminates it.

my first thought was the pickup height as well..you might try lowering any one of them then turn just that one on and see if it eliminates it.

Thanks for all the input. I am going to try all the suggestions. If I can't get them to work then I will try and post an MP3 of the sound.

Thanks a lot.

Hi,

Thanks for all the input. Dropping the bass side of the pickups stopped the problem. Wow, who would think it could be such an easy fix. I had it set the same hieght as my other strat but I guess the magnetic pull on it was not as strong.

Such an easy solution, man do I feel stupid.

Thanks again for all the help. This is truly a great forum and I plan to visit it often.