Do You Think This Guitar Is Any Good?

TenderSurrender

For some time now i have liked the look of Ibanez's and have now got *some* money and want to go and get one :D

Now before anyone suggests it.... i CANT afford a JEM but given i would love to own one!

Now... Ive looked at the RG350DX and it looks quite good but want some more opinions.. perhaps someone on here owns one??

So any problems i should be aware of before i go and buy one?

Link to RG Picture

The price im looking at paying for it is £319 (approx $584 USD)

If you think this guitar is bad, what other RG's (in the same price range) are worth it? or perhaps not even an RG? (want it to be Ibanez)

Thanks

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Edited by SlainAngel

Just had a look for the 550's... the Ibanez dealer i was going to buy from doesnt stock them second hand or new :D

Found one on Ebay but im not so sure on another black guitar... i have 2 black guitars and that is one reason i was attracted to the RG350DX

Any other opinions or suggestions?

Thanks

~~ Slain Angel ~~

well i love the Artcore semi's. I finally got one ion december and everyone i know thinks i have a better guitar than them, even if they paid more. Well my guitar is better. But the Artcore with the bigsby style trem is awsome so i cant blame them. Ibanez actually made a good semi, so the Artcore with the trem is my vote.

RG550 or 770DX! Definately! Even the 560 series is great if you don't want to pay for a Jem. I actually like the 550's better than a Jem!

well i love the Artcore semi's. I finally got one ion december and everyone i know thinks i have a better guitar than them, even if they paid more. Well my guitar is better. But the Artcore with the bigsby style trem is awsome so i cant blame them.  Ibanez actually made a good semi, so the Artcore with the trem is my vote.

ummm...the artcore is nothing like an rg...a guy who wants an rg would not be happy with that thing,i promise you

I know where i can get the 350's but 550's is an issuse...

Wes thankyou for clearing that one up... Bigsby trems just anit made for dive bombing and yes i agree artcore are nice but are nothing like an RG

Also.. any other recommendations.. is the 550 (which specs look nice) available in any different colours, only seen it in black... i mean i can always refinish it but when buying a new guitar... refinishing isnt top of my list...

Thanks for all your help so far

~~ Slain Angel ~~

The 550 has actually been discountinued and was only available in black for the last 2 years.You can get the RG1570 for £479 this includes the hardcase and comes in 2 colours. I have that guitar. Check http://www.guitarstrings.co.uk/search_details.asp?ID=737 and http://www.guitarstrings.co.uk/search_details.asp?ID=735.

Thankyou Gemleggat... unfortuntly its slightly over what i was expecting to pay for.. (350DX is about £320)....

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Well it seems i should either (from your opinions) get a second hand 550 or save a little more and get a RG1570

The RG1570 looks quite nice but im still not sure if i like the colour...i am realy keen to purchase a white guitar (nice contrast from the Black ones lol) and thats partially why i fell for the 350DX

Do Ibanez have any other white guitars at a low(ish) price range? (e.g between £200 and £350)

Thanks

~~ Slain Angel ~~

I have one, it's a reasonable guitar for the price with the assumed price being no more than $300 US NEW out the door (what I paid).  Also as I understand it, some are better than others out of the box.  The pickups are pretty much Ibanez's bottom barrel.

Hey Gorecki... when you say "I have one"... which one is that... the 350DX or the 1570?

Oh and you say some are better then others out the box... nothing that a setup cant fix right?

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Hey Gorecki... when you say "I have one"... which one is that... the 350DX or the 1570?

Oh and you say some are better then others out the box... nothing that a setup cant fix right?

The 350DX (the steve vai EVO lookin one). The better than some thing is mostly hear say for neck and body crack issues. Mine occationally will make a tick sound in the neck while using the trem, people have had related issues.

Otherwise, truthfully it was the best less than $1,000 guitar setup out of the box I've ever purchased. All I really needed to do was adjust trem tension to my taste...nothing more. I expect to put some Evolutions in it but haven't got around to it.

The 350DX (the steve vai EVO lookin one). The better than some thing is mostly hear say for neck and body crack issues. Mine occationally will make a tick sound in the neck while using the trem, people have had related issues.

Otherwise, truthfully it was the best less than $1,000 guitar setup out of the box I've ever purchased. All I really needed to do was adjust trem tension to my taste...nothing more. I expect to put some Evolutions in it but haven't got around to it.

So Gorecki recommends the 350DX... others think i should go with a different RG... ahh tis hard decision.. i really do like the *look* of the RG350DX...

I think ill buy the 350DX...the place i buy from allows you to have the guitar for 30days... if you dont like it... you take it back and they will give you a full refund...

~~ Slain Angel ~~

I think ill buy the 350DX...the place i buy from allows you to have the guitar for 30days... if you dont like it... you take it back and they will give you a full refund...

Sounds like that's a good option to give you some time to evaluate it. In any case I think the basic rules apply that most low(er) cost guitars these days look pretty in most cases but will not last. But with some TLC, some pickups and possible a fret job (thought I haven't seen that on an Ibanez) can make it into a suprisingly playable guitar.

Way back when in my old GC days, I commonly would sell a couple of RG 550/570's (now known as the 1570) instead of one guitar priced ~$1,000 with the understanding the 570's wouldn't last long term..especially used for touring.

Now they've bumped up the price $300 of the same old 570 and offering things like the DX guitars at the prices (or near) what the 500 series use to be...same story as going on here...one step removed. :D

Edited by Gorecki

Guest AlexVDL
Mine occationally will make a tick sound in the neck while using the trem, people have had related issues.

This has nothing to do with a bad body or bad neck. The lower end models aren't that bad (materials wise) but the construction isn't very well. Paper or sandpaper or even cardboard shims under the neck heel to give it an angle (this will cause the neck not to sit tight in the pocket and it will give a crack noise when you lower the string tension i.e. divebombing). A loose top lock or a top mounted toplock will also give you some crack noises when using the tremolo roughly.

Personally I won't go for the 550 with a maple neck. It's known that the earlier 550 maple necks without the bubinga laminate tordate quickly. I've seen many many 550 necks coming into our shop. We had to either defret and plane the neck or replace the fretboard.

30 pounds more and you have a neck thru and the new trem system... not a bad deal maybe? RGT

This one is a very good deal!! RG570EX

:D