Saying Hi From Somewhere In The Midwest

Howdy,

Built one in HS ('83?) and have redone several more since. I have gathered info ever since HS and designed bunches. I never really had the shopspace, aqnd then when I did I went and had kids, so little time. But NOW . . .heheh i have more time and a wicked two-car . .err . . shop.

Over the years I have always entertained the notion of making a living doing it, but of course we have to walk before we run. So, I will be knocking out my first couple here really soon. I have already done some 2x4 glueups and made two prototype bodies to get the shape and sizes right. Can't recommend that enough for a new design. My whole philosophy and approach to guitar building has been somewhere in the Parker/Steinberger type area . . .although i came from a total 80's metal guitar shredder type background (my personal playing), so this should be interesting. I'll get some designs or pics up soon. I think you guys will like them.

Side note: should we be worried about posting original designs up here? Esp if we have any intention at all of trying to make a living with an original design? (pipe dreams and all)

Is there a way to protect a body design? I assume so since Gibson went after PRs . . what a crock.

Anyway, I've been lurking here for quite some time, and this is an awesome resource. Thanks to all.

KOMODO :D

PS-thats me and Roy Underhill in my pic .. .how cool is that? "here . .you take the axe"

Edited by komodo
Side note: should we be worried about posting original designs up here? Esp if we have any intention at all of trying to make a living with an original design? (pipe dreams and all)

Is there a way to protect a body design? I assume so since Gibson went after PRs . . what a crock.

You can get a design patent. I think it covers just the aesthetic aspects of your concept. Not sure what costs are involved in filing such a patent, tho. It's still a good idea even if you don't become a luthier -if it's original enough, others may want to license your design $$$

Yeah, the LP shape has been in the public domain for so... I guess Gibson just has better lawyers. :D